Limitless Hold my Beer I've Got a Crazy Idea - XLX2 mounting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerold

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
I need someone, smarter than me to give me some feedback and on this forum it's just about everyone.

I've got a battery tray figured out where I can mount two large batteries side by side, but as I get in to there are some complications. Nothing at little duct tape can't fix. It barely fits under the body.

But while I was looking a this I had a different thought and I'm back to thinking about putting it next to the servo and moving the receiver/receiver box to the center brace or possibly under the nose cone.

My idea is to chop the "electronic module set" and get one flat-ish surface. cut on the red lines below. This is a stock photo. I can shim it up with some ABS or if I use Dual-Lock it will make up any height differences. I would leave the servo mount intact.
1661922708655.png

Or just get/make a different mount. There is one from Arrma (and ebay), but I'm not sure how the actually mount to the chassis.

I mocked this up (nothing is attached) and it looks like it might work. The nub'ins on the side are a bit close, but nothing some shims can't fix. Yeah the ESC is a bit crooked here. The servo seems to clear if it's close to the brace. In the stock location it's pretty close and may not work, but I might be able to move the arm and servo up?
IMG_4789.jpg

IMG_4788.jpg

Question 1: Does anyone know how this, or similar, servo mount attaches to the Limitless chassis? Although it looks a bit beefy to fit where I need it.
1661919595044.png

It uses a "base plate" but I'm not sure the holes line up with the existing ones.
1661919517647.png

Would I need to drill new holes?

Question 2: Any thoughts on making a mount and attach it to the support brace?
1661923147326.png

Something simple like this from a Redcat would work.
1661923173421.png

Other thoughts?

I've been using a modified version of that but there are limitations. My build thread has the pics.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/jerolds-limitless-build.49292/

It works but the body is jammed on there.
You shouldn't be using that 1/5 esc on a 1/7 rig. That's too much power and we don't like overpowering our cars.
Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

Just kidding, maybe a limetless speedrunner guy can help you out. If you are not set on the Limitless body, you could have a look at a different body for the Limetless chassis (Corvette, Infraction,...). I've seen a Corvette body on a Limetless and that didn' t have any issues with the XLX2.

You shouldn't be using that 1/5 esc on a 1/7 rig. That's too much power and we don't like overpowering our cars.

Just kidding, maybe a limetless speedrunner guy can help you out. If you are not set on the Limitless body, you could have a look at a different body for the Limetless chassis (Corvette, Infraction,...). I've seen a Corvette body on a Limetless and that didn' t have any issues with the XLX2.
Speed running? I thought this was Battle Bots? Am I in the wrong forum. . . again? Awkward.

I made a quick mounting plate and it works great. There is about 6mm clearance from the motor wires and it's solid.

It's not 100% back together, no loctite on the screws and I need to actually mount the ESC. However, this is with the V1 chassis battery trays. For the servo mount I made a fancy design and was going to use Send Cut Send, but they have a $29 MOQ, so it was off to HomeDepot for bar stock.

The receiver can go inside a Mojove box on the center brace (not shown) where the ESC was for now. Eventually I think I can have a bend over the top of the factory brace and put it up there, no box.

ESC Mounting.jpg

I know your Lim is a V1, whereas the one I'm just starting (literally, today) is a V2...but, here's what I did to mine too make room for the XLX2. Don't know if it'll help you, or not...but, it might

20220918_105332.jpg

This thread should help with the differences between V1 and V2. There isn't much.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/v2-differences-what-they-didnt-tell-you.54320/

The big changes are, V2 has smaller battery trays, the spool is centered, and the electronics box is smaller. I believe I can create a V2 without the center diff relocation. The smaller battery tray and smaller box allows for the XLX2. However, my ginormous CNHL 9500 Batteries won't fit in the V2 trays, so I'm a bit stuck.

For teh V2, Raz got the XLX2 in there with the factory tray. I haven't watched the video yet.
1663551947638.png

...the spool is centered...
Technically, the spool isn't centered...and, as for being "relocated", I'm not certain. What gives the 'impression' the spool is centered is because the V2 has equal-length front & rear center driveshafts, which they achieved by replacing the original center spool with their own Pinocchio spool.

Well, if we're going to split hairs, the front and rear center drive shafts on the LV2 are both the same length. So, while the spool gear isn't centered, I think it's fair to say that the spool itself is. The entire diff/motor mount assembly was moved back on the V2 allowing for 110mm motors to be mounted in the front position whereas on the V1 you were limited to 88mm motors. Yes, we're getting a bit into the pedantry weeds here :)

I made a quick mounting plate and it works great. There is about 6mm clearance from the motor wires and it's solid.

It's not 100% back together, no loctite on the screws and I need to actually mount the ESC. However, this is with the V1 chassis battery trays. For the servo mount I made a fancy design and was going to use Send Cut Send, but they have a $29 MOQ, so it was off to HomeDepot for bar stock.

The receiver can go inside a Mojove box on the center brace (not shown) where the ESC was for now. Eventually I think I can have a bend over the top of the factory brace and put it up there, no box.

View attachment 244196
To keep it simple, would you consider changing the battery tray and esc box to v2? Maybe from Jennys. The XLX2 fits nicely with the new battery trays and receiver boxes

To keep it simple, would you consider changing the battery tray and esc box to v2? Maybe from Jennys. The XLX2 fits nicely with the new battery trays and receiver boxes
I thought about the V2 trays and honestly it would probably work fine because I don't have the roads or the space where optimizing everything matters. However, I already have my gigantic batteries and they won't fit in the new trays.

Just as a note I tried a Mojave radio box and the Castle Link Quick Connect Duo doesn't fit in there. I doubt it would fit in the new Limitless box, which means I would have to find a hiding place.

I used that servo mounting spot, custom ESC mounting plate and chopped the radio box. It fits nicely. You can see the results on my build page.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/jerolds-limitless-build.49292/page-3#post-817438

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back