Kraton Holding value, kind of hard to believe...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedijed

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Kraton 4s
  3. Mojave
  4. Typhon 6s
I’ve been looking at eBay and I’ve been super surprised to see that Kraton 6S with little to no mods, are selling for almost new prices or even more with shipping. Is this normal for RC? I’m my other hobbies like dirt bikes, paintball, cars you will never get your money back or anywhere close to it, even wirh lots of upgrades and aftermarket. I just saw a stock used Kraton with a charger and two 3s batteries at $590 bid and shipping is $50. That’s literally about what it would cost to buy that stuff new.

Don't buy it used like that, go new you'll be happier. R.C. shouldn't/don't retain value like that normally. People are only able to sell for those prices, because there is a huge demand for RC right now. My rule of thumb is buy it new unless it's down to half the price of new. The car may be damaged in some way, or have other issues. If you pay that much you still have to buy the parts and it will cost more than new. Also new comes with a limited warranty.

Don't buy it used like that, go new you'll be happier. R.C. shouldn't/don't retain value like that normally. People are only able to sell for those prices, because there is a huge demand for RC right now. My rule of thumb is buy it new unless it's down to half the price of new. The car may be damaged in some way, or have other issues. If you pay that much you still have to buy the parts and it will cost more than new. Also new comes with a limited warranty.
I agree, I was looking because I figured that people would be getting rid of them dirt cheap because of lost income at their jobs and such. I’ve got 4 Arrma’s and we ought spares to just about build a 5th. I just thought maybe I’d find a Kraton for $200 even if it’s for parts it is worth it.

I have been searching the second hand market here in Germany before the pandemic hit, and it's remarkable for how much people are buying RCs. The price for a new Outcast 6s has been sitting at 450€ for the last months and still people buy second hand (without batteries) for 400€ and more. Similar story with Kraton. It's baffling.
I have noticed, however, that it very much depends on the brand. People are all over Traxxas/Arrma cars and HPI Savages. I ended up buying a second hand Tekno. The market for those (and other racing brands) is what I would consider more reasonable.

Last edited:
@rflx
Thats why I bought my Stampede 2wd new (I'm also from Germany). I wanted one cheap, but it is mindbogling how people expect you to pay 180+€ for a used 2wd Traxxas without upgrades when you can get a new one for 220€ (ended up getting mine as a roller for 200€ new from my LHS)...
On the other hand, brands like Hobao go for a pretty good price sometimes. I saw a used Hobao H2 Pro roller getting sold for under 65€ with shipping, while it seemed to be in really good condition, and the new kit costs around 200€ (actually wanted to get that car, but my money just doesn't allow it in the moment...the Malvion build was expensive, P2de also got some tuning and Kraton got some M2C goodies lately...).

RC cars are like anything else used, you never get what's into them. Sure some stupid people pay stupid prices for used on Ebay and such. Better off buying new unless you know the true condition of a used rig without putting your hands on it and inspecting.

@arrmadillo is absolutely right about this. I would never pay a lot of money for a used RC that is near the new price, I honestly don't get how people get them sold.
Me on the other hand, I couldn't sell my BRCC for 220€...which is 66% of the new price and had a lot of upgrades done and additional stuff added to the package (Corally Servo, Absima CR3P, Tyhon RPM arms & Typhon turnbuckles, T-Bone Front & Rear Bumper & skid plate, new rubber sealed bearing kit, Hot Racing Pivots, Louise Tires, 2 Hardcade 3S Lipos, Robitronic Dirt Bag).
I mean, I'm not even complaining, I decided to keep it and it now is transfered into my Malvion which I wouldn't give away as I love that thing.....but then I see people with hardly any upgrades selling their Kratons for 90% of the new price and just ask myself how?.

I mean, from the 12 cars I had I bought only 3 used (and sold all of them again), but all 3 had good reasons:
- Tamiya DF-01...Well, I got it from a buddy as a roller. Wasn't in the best condition, but I paid 30€ for it and had I a spare mild brushless system laying around. xD
- HPI Bullet ST Flux. Also a buddys car, he decided to leave the hobby and gave it pretty cheap to me. That was my first MT (yes, its the ST, but FFs it even had tires as large as the MT ones) and had the first somewhat powerfull brushless system I had in a car, so I couldn't resist.
- Cen Reeper. The only car I bought of ebay so far. It had a few upgrades done and looked brand spanking new (seriously, when you see a 1/7 scale MT that has not a single scratch at the Aluminium chassis bottom, no dirt whatsoever on the chassis and even the tires look new because there is no wear whatsoever on them, that is a sign of a car in good shape). But I actually sold it as I had problems with the rear diff and after taking it apart the third time after under 5 6S pack in total I got fed up, decided ''f' this'', sold it and bought a Kraton 6S V4 (I mean, I miss the Reaper, but totally worth it for the Kraton).

Well, technically from the 12 cars 4 were used...But c'mon, when a buddy of your Dad descides to gift you his Kyosho Mad Force you don't say no. :D

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back