Typhon Hole in Chassis- Power Module Dust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also my luck its the same. Id land on just right size rock or limb. Jab right it there! And here we go again. 😆
Hole doesn't need to be big. I only drilled about 2 or 3 mm holes.
20191124_151326.jpg

I'd be surprised as I run through a bunch of weeds and plants on my property and nothing gets in there. Also have lots of gravel too and yet to get a rock or anything lodged in any of the 3 rigs👍🏼
Oh I know bud. I watch all ur vids. It'll end with a slot im sure. 😉. Doing a bit of same thing ive seen on your BR. Just be a little time. 💯

Hole doesn't need to be big. I only drilled about 2 or 3 mm holes.
View attachment 172892
That's not going to help much lol, needs to be right under the spur and about the length of that divot, I'd say about 1/4" wide by an inch long
My plan is to use a step drill bit to drill two holes, then cut between the holes with a dremel. You could use a thin hacksaw blade make the cuts in between if you don't have a dremel. This way, the slot will have nice smooth rounds on the ends.
I used a small diamond burr tip that was pointy and thin and pretty much pushed it through and pulled it around making the hole so it's all rounded no hard corners👍🏼

That's not going to help much lol, needs to be right under the spur and about the length of that divot, I'd say about 1/4" wide by an inch long
It is direct under the spur. Works well for me.

Do you cover chassis hole with tape when driving in very fine sand or do you keep it always open?

B79D83F5-E97A-46F9-8C21-C0CDC5BC9725.jpeg

The idea of the holes is to let the grit out so covering the holes would be counter productive.

The idea of the holes is to let the grit out so covering the holes would be counter productive.
I understand that, but when jumping and bashing in fine dusty sand, some sand will enter the power module. I have destroyed one plastic spur gear almost immediately after removing the tape cover. I am talking about fine dusty sand - not gravel or some other coarse grained environment.

In addition to chassis hole, I have added a foam tape sealing under the power module and it works pretty well but fine dust still gets inside.

9397D674-FEC9-46ED-AEE0-BCA8DB8F8738.jpeg

Either seal it 100% (good luck) or leave it open fully open to let the contamination out asap or it will just trap dirt/dust. That's my suggestion.

Have you had problems with sand entering the rear diff input cup (see the photo)? After 3 batteries in fine sand, almost a tea spoon of sand came out from there. I’m guessing that this affect slipper clutch rear bearing life (which is always the first bearing to fail).

Chassis hole or sealing the power module won’t help with this :(

56AD7C1B-0627-4519-8435-569360C6F36F.jpeg

You're correct, sealing the module won't help with that. No I haven't had that problem but I also don't run it in the sand like you. But it does look like fun.

Last edited:
I use velcro tape. With careful application to make sure I'm getting a full seal, it keeps out everything including occasional baseball diamond sand/dirt. But I don't run that much in fine dirt/sand. If it's not working for you, the hole in the chassis isn't really irreversible. Covering it up or just getting a new chassis are always an option.

I use velcro tape. With careful application to make sure I'm getting a full seal, it keeps out everything including occasional baseball diamond sand/dirt. But I don't run that much in fine dirt/sand. If it's not working for you, the hole in the chassis isn't really irreversible. Covering it up or just getting a new chassis are always an option.
+1 for the soft side of Velcro applied like this. Credit goes to razorrc and I learnt about it in one of his videos. You have to cut the short piece after application where the 2 halves of the module case meet so module case can still be taken apart. Also makes it a bit harder to reinsert module due to having to compress Velcro. But no issues with infiltration since I did this running on a dusty dirt track. Except still have to disassemble to clean out black slipper pad dust periodically.

BE5458DB-012D-4B01-9343-05453C32E35F.jpeg

+1 for the soft side of Velcro applied like this. Credit goes to razorrc and I learnt about it in one of his videos. You have to cut the short piece after application where the 2 halves of the module case meet so module case can still be taken apart. Also makes it a bit harder to reinsert module due to having to compress Velcro. But no issues with infiltration since I did this running on a dusty dirt track. Except still have to disassemble to clean out black slipper pad dust periodically.

View attachment 246217
+1 from me too. It's been working well. Like you said it makes it harder to reinstall but after it's been in there a while it looses up. I also seal the 2 halves of the case together and seal between the motor and mount.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back