Talion home made bumper

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neat handy work, but I personally would not want something nearly as stiff as that thick metal as a bumper. Bumpers should be able to absorb impacts as to protect the RC. Something that thick and stiff is only going to transfer the impact to other areas of the RC.

Neat handy work, but I personally would not want something nearly as stiff as that thick metal as a bumper. Bumpers should be able to absorb impacts as to protect the RC. Something that thick and stiff is only going to transfer the impact to other areas of the RC.

This is not thick metal. It is aluminum. I made the bend by hand and The bend of metal is not stiff to cause damage. I have another product that you’re describing that will do more harm then good. So yes looks are indeed deceiving. Ang I totally agree. Cost me time not money and if I find a t bone steak cheap i’ll Eat it

thought I share what I made over the weekend . that i may continue on enjoy

Looks good. I understand what Woodie is saying so I'm curious to see what happens when you crash. Haha mounting it underneath so it doubles as a skid plate looks to be the best mounting point. Keep us posted.

Looks good. I understand what Woodie is saying so I'm curious to see what happens when you crash. Haha mounting it underneath so it doubles as a skid plate looks to be the best mounting point. Keep us posted.

Yes I agree with me I try my best not to bash for a crash lol. I like to work on it but knowing the counter sink will not work to soft that is where it will be forgiving.

I've found that aluminum is ok for skids, but for bumpers, a few bends and they crack. It look nice though and should save you from a few hits at least.

RC Solutions used to make some really sweet spring steel skids/bumpers back in the day. I didn't have the tools to drill it easily as it was very hard, but it was springy, so it while it would bend and stay bent if hit hard enough, it was thin enough to bend on impact and it would usually spring back. I did grind/drill holes in it so I could put thick rubber grommets to aid in impact absorption. They would bend and the grommet on the back side would contact the bulkhead/diff and absorb more. Too bad they aren't around anymore. I would love to have their metal for skids on all my trucks. Back then (15 yrs ago or so), they just had them for the t-maxx.

Racers Edge made some "titanium" ones, not sure they were titanium, but they were stupid hard and didn't flex at all. A buddy of mine got those for his t-maxx along with unlimited engineering 7075 bulks that used 3mm helicoils for the screws. The first impact he made with the ground (bad dead stick lawn dart landing) and the skid barely flexed as it snapped all the heads off the bolts holding it on. Man was he ticked!

That is what I am thinking to scrap the idea amazing what we can copy and do. A 3-s printer. But I feel plastics are not as strong. So I may just go t bone. Have that pro look

Actually, just dug up some old photo's of my t-maxx. It had a bulkhead brace that I put a hole in (or used aftermarket that had a hole already), and I mounted the grommet to the bulkhead directly. Then if the bumper/skid compressed, it would hit the grommet to absorb more of the impact.

2004-0906-SMaxx-BentSkid02.jpg

That dent in the skid is from hitting a concrete foundation wall that was hiding in the weeds and sticking up about 2-3 inches. I hit it at near top speed. While it did bend and stay bent, it did it's job and the truck shot straight up in the air instead of absorbing all the impact. I really do miss those skids. LOL!

Hard to believe... that was from 2004. Seems like just yesterday I was cursing and fighting with t-maxx diffs, transmission gears, bulkheads and hinge pins. So glad I moved on.

Last edited:
I got the electric EmaX just converted over to brushless I know what you mean. it is a strong truck love it. will be my basher. I see what you mean about the metal parts? I still can shave down to where it works more for LEDS then a bumper. SO in the mean time I will have to figure out other things of the tailon love the car.

I got the electric EmaX just converted over to brushless I know what you mean. it is a strong truck love it. will be my basher. I see what you mean about the metal parts? I still can shave down to where it works more for LEDS then a bumper. SO in the mean time I will have to figure out other things of the tailon love the car.
Newer versions of the t-maxx are a lot better. At least in regards to the diffs, slider axles and trans. My nitro revo's and brushless revo hold up just fine for those parts. Not sure if the bulks are any better on newer t-maxx though. Diffs were the biggest issue for me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back