Typhon Homebrew 3S SenTyphRock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in the Lafayette area and always on the look out for someplace to run, that county fair site looks awesome, where abouts is it?
That was up in Fulton County. Do you know of any good places around here? Outside of a few abandoned baseball fields and parks, I haven’t found much, but there’s gotta be something.

Hi Homebrew,

can you please tell me if these are the correct shock replacements you used for a direct fit on the Big Rock V3 3s:

https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...st-assembled-dampers-springs-red-new-ar106040

https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...ks-assembled-dampers-springs-4mm-hd-ara7604v2

Is there anything else needed (screws, bolts, shock oil, etc)? The stock shocks rod have already came undone/broke from the bottom shock holder. Any input will be helpful as this is my first attempt at upgrading. Also, did you also replace the springs to some “yellow” colored ones? I read this or something similar in another thread.

Do you know of any good places around here?

Tell me about it... I got into this RC stuff about 6 months ago, then figured there would be plenty of places around town to run but cant find anything. I thought there was still a track down by the river where the Cloud Jockeys fly, but that's gone, the indoor facility at RC HobbiesPlus was shut down during Covid ( although I'm not sure that's meant for bigger cars anyway) , and there is no skate park in the city.... (there is one at Faith, but not sure if they want RC there).
My go-to right now is Lybolt field, as long as no softball is going on. Its got a big area of paved for high speed stuff then turns to gravel and grass. When you come from the gravel area to pavement you can catch pretty good air on the transition. You cant get on the fields as they are locked shut Anyway, its big enough that my 4 year old grandson can drive without getting into trouble. One place to keep an eye on is on the west side, over behind Menards, on 600, place is called Cornerstone materials. I drove by there one day and saw the perfect dirt track, with moguls, jumps and banked corners, but on the scale of RC , too small for dirt bikes. I called out there and got the owners wife, she laughing said "yeah, my husband built that", but with no real purpose in mind (at least none she knew of ). I told her it looked perfect for RC and her response was that I'm like the 10th person to call and say that, but her husband still wasn't sure what his plans were.... I need to run out that way again and take a look.

Hi Homebrew,

can you please tell me if these are the correct shock replacements you used for a direct fit on the Big Rock V3 3s:

https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...st-assembled-dampers-springs-red-new-ar106040

https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...ks-assembled-dampers-springs-4mm-hd-ara7604v2

Is there anything else needed (screws, bolts, shock oil, etc)? The stock shocks rod have already came undone/broke from the bottom shock holder. Any input will be helpful as this is my first attempt at upgrading. Also, did you also replace the springs to some “yellow” colored ones? I read this or something similar in another thread.
Yep! Look back through this post, and I show what I did.
place is called Cornerstone materials. I drove by there one day and saw the perfect dirt track, with moguls, jumps and banked corners, but on the scale of RC , too small for dirt bikes. I called out there and got the owners wife, she laughing said "yeah, my husband built that", but with no real purpose in mind (at least none she knew of ). I told her it looked perfect for RC and her response was that I'm like the 10th person to call and say that, but her husband still wasn't sure what his plans were.... I need to run out that way again and take a look.

Now that would be cool! Wonder what it's all about? and sounds like there's a good amount of RCers around then.

Wea Park on South 150E by Wea Elementary has a couple of abandoned little league fields in the back and some gravel, but nothing too exciting, and nothing to jump.

Last edited:
I did my first clean with Simple Green, air hose, and Silicon spray. Seems like it works really well!

DC27A83A-6B11-4C18-8FF8-6D5341104BFD.jpeg

Looks like my Hot Racing bellcrank is Hot Garbage. 30 minutes in the grass, and it busted. Back to the stock part for now unless I can figure out a way to replace that connection.

196ADCC8-1D53-4825-B2D7-E3B8D2BD65FD.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like my Hot Racing bellcrank is Hot Garbage. 30 minutes in the grass, and it busted. Back to the stock part for now unless I can figure out a way to replace that connection.

Well that's no good... 😲 Hot Racing stuff seems to be a bit hit or miss, from what I'm gathering on this forum. Wonder if the official Arrma aluminium bell crank would be better (if it ever becomes available).

Have you tried shimming the stock steering bellcrank? I can't directly compare, but from what I've heard it takes just as much slop out of the steering assembly as just simply replacing the whole thing. I definitely noticed the difference in both the Typhon & Granite.

Well that's no good... 😲 Hot Racing stuff seems to be a bit hit or miss, from what I'm gathering on this forum. Wonder if the official Arrma aluminium bell crank would be better (if it ever becomes available).

Have you tried shimming the stock steering bellcrank? I can't directly compare, but from what I've heard it takes just as much slop out of the steering assembly as just simply replacing the whole thing. I definitely noticed the difference in both the Typhon & Granite.
That’s a good idea. I have the bearings to swap in it, just need to figure out the shims. From reading on here, looks like one or two 0.2 take care of it.

HR responded to an email asking if they had that bushing:
I wish we could carry every piece for every part but we would swiftly be overwhelmed. This is one of the parts that I have been pulling for as it is requested frequently. Unfortunately I have yet to convince the powers that be. Sorry, The best I can do is give you the specs- 3mm-ID, 5mm-OD, 5.5mm length.

That’s a good idea. I have the bearings to swap in it, just need to figure out the shims. From reading on here, looks like one or two 0.2 take care of it.

Something like that, yeah: I put two 2mm thick 5x7 shims on top of each of the small bearings in the bellcrank and one 3mm 5x7 shim on the collared bolts. That seemed to work for me -- just had to be careful not to overtighten things afterwards.

20210619_235813.jpg

20210619_234356.jpg

I got the stock parts back in, and it actually seems pretty good. The shim measurement would be 10x5x1.5 and it’ll lift that bearing up like the HR. I also figured out the bushing and screw size to fix the HR assembly

271E3F28-A8FB-496E-918F-F480D5EF7654.jpeg

I also bought a Senton body, bumpers, and all the misc parts from Jenny’s. Thought it would be cool to switch it up again. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BF21A684-6401-44E6-9498-B18B57F36A20.jpeg

I also bought a Senton body, bumpers, and all the misc parts from Jenny’s. Thought it would be cool to switch it up again.
I'm going to be lazy and not look it up myself... how much $$ did it cost to make the Typhon to Senton conversion? I talked myself out of it once already, but that pic of the completed Senton looks like a blast to run.

I'm going to be lazy and not look it up myself... how much $$ did it cost to make the Typhon to Senton conversion? I talked myself out of it once already, but that pic of the completed Senton looks like a blast to run.
https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...y-shell-orange-black-painted-decaled-ar102668
https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...-bar-4x4-mega-ar102668?variant=12603222097974
https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...-bars-towers-mounts-bulkhead-bumpers-ar102668

About $65 with tax and shipping

It has a different rear skid plate that's made for the rear bumper, so you need to at least by that, the mounts, the nerf bars and side guard extenders. That's why I just bought that whole bag from Jenny's.

I dig it, and my daughter loves it. The Senton comes with a 20T pinion, while the Typhon has 15T. I may mess around with experimenting with different sizes for different terrains.

I’m be been rocking the BR setup the last couple weeks. It’s awesome in grass and dirt and is a wheelie-monster in the street.

The only issue is that it will over heat easy and cut out after about 15 minutes of heavy grass running, but that’s probably to be expected.

5D96BCDF-9198-4147-B1CB-E3A4E14B6DF7.jpeg

What pinion size are you running? I converted from a senton. Im now running an 18t and found that the motor got SUPER hot. I'll likely be going to the stock 15t before my next run.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back