Typhon Homebrew 3S SenTyphRock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homebrew

Thou shalt not partake of decaf.
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Senton 3s
  3. Typhon 3s
What an awesome forum here and a wealth of information. I currently got back into the hobby after 30 years and having a blast running this car and repairing it practically weekly!

I’ve been making some upgrades the last couple of weeks and have a lot of other ideas as well.

Here’s the current state of the vehicle:

E5A932EE-8F2B-4DFD-AB22-EE4D31E37169.jpeg

I just replaced the bumpers with Granite bumpers. They’re a bit bigger and will hopefully protect the shocks as my daughter tends to run into things on a regular basis.
D44FBF06-B783-49B7-82F5-E913A860C40A.jpeg
CE80E55C-A04A-4173-8EAD-1D4DC01F5075.jpeg

I dig the look of them. Be already bent my front shocks after a landing nose-first on a huge dive from a skate ramp. It was awesome though! Ha.
3730A96B-DCAA-43E4-829B-88AB6A116F7D.jpeg

I mentioned in another thread that these will be replaced with 6S Mojave/Kraton shocks later this week.

The arms have been replaced with RPMs, as one of the fronts got stripped out in that crash, I mean awesome landing.

B7CDB20B-F53B-4C73-8C85-35391393CF84.jpeg

Somehow we’ve also broken the steering block twice. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

With some other awesome advice from people here, I bought a set of C2 Banditos for the street. It’s amazing how sticky they are. And how slick the stock tires are on the road. I may get some Trenchers later on after I wear these out.

793A9DA5-2D4E-4035-91F7-3A80E1F0B48E.jpeg

That’s about it for now. Let’s see what Jenny’s delivers next! Love that site.

Last edited:
What an awesome forum here and a wealth of information. I currently got back into the hobby after 30 years and having a blast running this car and repairing it practically weekly!

I’ve been making some upgrades the last couple of weeks and have a lot of other ideas as well.

Here’s the current state of the vehicle:

View attachment 151126

I just replaced the bumpers with Granite bumpers. They’re a bit bigger and will hopefully protect the shocks as my daughter tends to run into things on a regular basis.
View attachment 151129View attachment 151131

I dig the look of them. Be already bent my front shocks after a landing nose-first on a huge dive from a skate ramp. It was awesome though! Ha.
View attachment 151132

I mentioned in another thread that these will be replaced with 6S Mojave/Kraton shocks later this week.

The arms have been replaced with RPMs, as one of the fronts got stripped out in that crash, I mean awesome landing.

View attachment 151133
Somehow we’ve also broken the steering block twice. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

With some other awesome advice from people here, I bought a set of C2 Banditos for the street. It’s amazing how sticky they are. And how slick the stock tires are on the road. I may get some Trenchers later on after I wear these out.

View attachment 151136

That’s about it for now. Let’s see what JennyRC delivers next! Love that site.
I believe m2c racing makes shock shafts for the 3s typhoon try those they will not break
Edit: wow your committed allready a lifetime premium planning on getting that soon

Sounds like you started out very similarly to myself: not having owned an RC car for decades and then going for what is objectively (cough) the BEST RC car available right now: the 3S Typhon!

Based on the absolute carnage on display in these pictures, I can definitely tell you're having fun! And I can tell you from experience that -- other than a different set of tires, which you've already fitted -- those fancy 6S shocks are pretty much the most noticeable upgrade you can do to the Typhon, especially if you like jumping it.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing your Typhon evolve over time.

PS: If you add a link to this thread in the 'ArrmaForum Thread Link' field in your profile (under 'Identities'), it'll give you a 'Build Thread Contributor' title like mine, which will link directly to your build thread.

Sounds like you started out very similarly to myself: not having owned an RC car for decades and then going for what is objectively (cough) the BEST RC car available right now: the 3S Typhon!

Based on the absolute carnage on display in these pictures, I can definitely tell you're having fun! And I can tell you from experience that -- other than a different set of tires, which you've already fitted -- those fancy 6S shocks are pretty much the most noticeable upgrade you can do to the Typhon, especially if you like jumping it.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing your Typhon evolve over time.

PS: If you add a link to this thread in the 'ArrmaForum Thread Link' field in your profile (under 'Identities'), it'll give you a 'Build Thread Contributor' title like mine, which will link directly to your build thread.

I definitely looking forward to putting those shocks on. Although, I do like the look of the shaft guards on the bottom shock ends. Oh well.

I think I'll continue to upgrade parts as they break for now. One thing I'm not exactly sure on yet is different gearing for the different tires and what not. That could be something to look into some day, but I'm totally happy with the car as-is. It goes plenty fast and seems really strong in grass and dirt.

I have a granite but really wanting a typhoon. Looks good man. I kept breaking those steering blocks too and got hot racing ones and no problems. Just enough metal to not break anything else. I like the look of the granite bumpers. I also use the front bumper on the rear becouse I kept breaking those.

I have a granite but really wanting a typhoon. Looks good man. I kept breaking those steering blocks too and got hot racing ones and no problems. Just enough metal to not break anything else. I like the look of the granite bumpers. I also use the front bumper on the rear becouse I kept breaking those.

Lots of goodies on the way!

1623337157915.png

1623337287497.png

1623337185169.png

Integy steering parts:

1623337473782.png

Last edited:
What happened to that poor spur gear? :LOL:

And man, apart from greatly improving the suspension, I just cannot get over how sexy those shiny red shocks look on any given Arrma rig...

I ordered an identical set of these for my wife's Granite, also from Jenny's. I'll have to wait untill the boat gets here and customs are done with my package though. :cautious:

I also ended up ordering a set of two small shock boots for the front -- might be something you could consider as well; it helps keep the crud out of the shock shafts and makes the looks more consistent as an added bonus, IMHO.

How are the springs on these? Not too stiff?

What happened to that poor spur gear? :LOL:
It was only a matter of time!

And man, apart from greatly improving the suspension, I just cannot get over how sexy those shiny red shocks look on any given Arrma rig...

I ordered an identical set of these for my wife's Granite, also from Jenny's. I'll have to wait untill the boat gets here and customs are done with my package though. :cautious:

I also ended up ordering a set of two small shock boots for the front -- might be something you could consider as well; it helps keep the crud out of the shock shafts and makes the looks more consistent as an added bonus, IMHO.

I think they look great too- good idea on the boots for the front. I'll do that.

How are the springs on these? Not too stiff?

They are definitely stiffer. I looked them up and the Kraton's are 6.2 lb/in and the Mojave's are 7.7 lb/in
The Typhon's are 4.8 and 5.7

I'll have to fix my spur this weekend and then see how they compare. I can definitely tell they are stiffer just by pushing down on them.

I ordered some Team Associated RC8B3 front and rear springs which will be 5.4 and 4.6 and will see how those work out too.

I ordered some Team Associated RC8B3 front and rear springs which will be 5.4 and 4.6 and will see how those work out too.

Haha, the yellow springs? I have the same ones on order. :cool: They're supposed to be pretty well-balanced.

Planning to put those on my Typhon and try the swapping over the springs that came with the Typhon 6S shocks on the Granite, as opposed to the stock Kraton / Mojave springs.

Haha, the yellow springs? I have the same ones on order. :cool: They're supposed to be pretty well-balanced.

Planning to put those on my Typhon and try the swapping over the springs that came with the Typhon 6S shocks on the Granite, as opposed to the stock Kraton / Mojave springs.

Yep, the yellow springs!

I have a metal spur gear coming, but for now I put in a stock composite one to get me through however long. Guess I’ll keep it in there until it goes bad.

Bad shape!

B138F6F7-0304-442C-95E5-1B092D3514A9.jpeg

C6CAED69-E226-423A-BD3C-00E4D44FCE53.jpeg

BCADD62D-8D4C-459E-9DDC-D4FFBE2C5DC4.jpeg

Everyone is where they should be for now
C04F16EB-A67B-41BF-B447-121BF43F8349.jpeg

Last edited:
Well after replaced the spur gear, 30 minutes later the servo stopped working in the middle of a run. Nothing crazy, just cruising back and forth on the street. Had a little tumble in the grass, but nothing major. Motor is strong, but the servo is silent.

It’s been a long day, so I’ll start diagnosing it tomorrow.

I figured out a cheap and perfect way to reinforce 6S shocks in the 3S towers. I can’t remember where I heard about this, but I found some 1/4”/6.5mm OD silicon fuel line in the airplane section at HobbyTown today. $2.99 for way more than I need. The ID is perfectly snug for the screw to fit in.

15C7E2EB-2825-416A-8F59-FB756A3AEC4C.jpeg

I measured everything to see what I needed:

74E48044-6ACF-4D0F-9755-B9E593FF7718.jpeg

79691022-FD2A-44D1-9361-0BA36E6D60B6.jpeg

3084F036-26DC-4853-B76B-4D0A5BFE83DF.jpeg

509BCB94-3AA5-4EBC-BAD2-43596B6EAA99.jpeg

9DD9109D-34F5-4651-9903-303328D8A8B2.jpeg

A70DD4B4-E322-4E0C-BCC9-869D69765FA1.jpeg

Before:
B4B7BF5C-53F8-444D-A1FB-8D12736B6B57.jpg

After:
AA7035B4-E69F-4967-8FE1-1DCBC664A828.jpg

Here it is next to the stock piece

D2383D9E-439C-44F4-9E8A-B87A0C5FEBE2.jpeg

And $10. Screw that!

5ED7E223-513D-40ED-A689-14BFCD44C378.jpeg

Last edited:
Shocks are now in place. Ready for the new pivot balls and titanium turnbuckles, aluminum bellcrank, aluminum steering blocks, and new servo, and that should take care of most everything for now!

3A517005-811A-4B9D-9C0B-07FDE6DCD7D8.jpeg

7FC808E4-0F23-4B9A-B8A1-43EB794E7528.jpeg

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back