Big Rock Hooked on the Big Rock build thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looked at this again and the 150 ESC is just too wide no matter how I arrange it.

I can catch 1 of the original mounts, but when I do, the opposite mount for the ESC hangs over by almost 1/8” or so. It’s close but definitely not working in any way I have tried.

Would love to make it a reverse mount and be done. Obviously looks cleaner that way.
Ah, sorry man. I thought you had a 130. I know that there are 3-D printed mounts for the 150 on a 3s car you can get.

Making room for the upgraded diff.

Have a replacement for the front as well but going to get the rear in place and see how things hold up. All goes well I’ll have a replacement diff and input gear at hand should anything go sideways.

398C52D1-ACAB-4E12-B52D-786F9BAC8533.jpeg

9B100A1E-1E5F-44CE-B84D-3425E17E5272.jpeg

Maiden run on 4s today.

Should’ve quit while I was ahead😂. ESC gave me trouble from go. Blinking red light of death. No steering, wouldn’t calibrate, nada.

Finally took it all apart and found I had the connection to the receiver backwards. Once I flipped that around, the ESC came to life.

Got it calibrated only to find the throttle controls were reversed. Reverse had all the juice. Swapped a motor wire and things ran as expected.

Ran the truck up and down the street and couple times with no body to get a feel for it. Ended up grabbing a wheelie and it went all the way over, slid on the body mounts and ground them to nubs except for one.

Threw the body on with one clip and walked down to the green belt to run out the battery. One of the 17mm wheel nuts came loose and off went the right rear wheel.

It was a comedy of errors but at least it runs. Packed away for today. Gonna try and give it another shakedown tomorrow.

Shakedown number 2 complete.

Runs like a beast! Not impressed with the fan on the new motor so that’s definitely getting replaced. Wasn’t hot and temps got a little high. ESC ran at 90.

Otherwise, just need a good clean and will be ready for more 4s fun. Super happy with the upgrades.

Had that same little fan on my Big Rock. Did well until summer came. Had to change it to a stronger 40mm tall 20mm fan

View attachment 279109
That shorty fan was definitely a shortsighted move on my part. We’ve got spring/summer desert temps coming and I should have just went with a taller unit.

Made sure the Kraton was set up well for higher temps…guess it’s just a bit more 💵 in the BR and an extra fan in the toolbox.

The big rock is a great car 😁 subscribed

Btw I ve done some of the 4s upgrade, such as full metal rear diff. It feels so good in the hand when its all metal. Btw save the money, you don't need metal in the front if you use smth like 20k rear and 30k front diff setup

View attachment 269497
This is sweet.i might have to get this for my BIG PAPA LONG ROCK .😁👍

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back