Hoons vs GRP's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TN-RC

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Vendetta
I know that the GRP's are much cheaper off of retail and retail GRP vs Jenny's Hoons is closer in price but I was wondering it there was a avenge with the Hoons over the GRP's. and are the GRP's rated for higher speeds? to me it seams that way Hoons are rated for 150 and people are running there GRP's to 170, and then they shred. I would be running them on a Felony (same diff gearing on both ends).

Neither GRPs nor Hoons can be reliably run past 120mph. Some users have had luck above that, but it is playing with fire at best. IMO Hoons are better for hooning around (hence the name lol) and GRPs are better for grip/wear better. GRPs are supposed to be on road race tires, so they tend to be quite a bit stickier.

somebody say hoooooooooooon?

Ken Block's Hoonicorn Mustang Price & Specs

Hoons - good for parking lot fun and drifting.
GRPs - good high grip beginner tire for speed running. They can take a car going off the road or crashing and still be used next time. I always recommend S1 compound for max grip. Absolutely must be balanced for speeds over 100 mph. Max safe speed is around 130 mph or they will blow.

Foams (BSR and Gone Bannanananananas) - excellent high speed tire for when you reach 130+. Slides, drifts, crashes etc will chunk the tires. So will rough roads and wheel spin. In general they seem to require high downforce GT bodies to work well. Very difficult to use on 1/8 scale short wheelbase buggies like a Typhon 6s.

Neither GRPs nor Hoons can be reliably run past 120mph. Some users have had luck above that, but it is playing with fire at best. IMO Hoons are better for hooning around (hence the name lol) and GRPs are better for grip/wear better. GRPs are supposed to be on road race tires, so they tend to be quite a bit stickier.
well I know people run GRP's at 150 no problem. (but might not get long runtime out of them (burn out time) but foam wont last long).
GRPs - good high grip beginner tire for speed running. They can take a car going off the road or crashing and still be used next time. I always recommend S1 compound for max grip. Absolutely must be balanced for speeds over 100 mph. Max safe speed is around 130 mph or they will blow.

Foams (BSR and Gone Bannanananananas) - excellent high speed tire for when you reach 130+. Slides, drifts, crashes etc will chunk the tires. So will rough roads and wheel spin. In general they seem to require high downforce GT bodies to work well. Very difficult to use on 1/8 scale short wheelbase buggies like a Typhon 6s.
I could not find BSR's that where bigger than 1/10. what is your opinion on this. https://www.amainhobbies.com/contac...5-shore-conjb25b/p-qqqcqayqnz2vqctz?v=1303055

Where do you buy your Gone Bananas tires?
List of ideal tires for speed running, so probably speedy boys on the left and less speedy boys on the right.
"speedy boys" made me laugh. thx man

Last edited:
well I know people run GRP's at 150 no problem. (but might not get long runtime out of them (burn out time) but foam wont last long).

I could not find BSR's that where bigger than 1/10. what is your opinion on this. https://www.amainhobbies.com/contac...5-shore-conjb25b/p-qqqcqayqnz2vqctz?v=1303055

Where do you buy your Gone Bananas tires?

"speedy boys" made me laugh. thx man
So you find Gone Bananas on Facebook. He’s elusive but busy. Rick Seffrood is his name. Best foams in the game. 608-469-0420 is his number. He did my 1/5 scale GRPs.

BSRs you can find at Heroes Hobbies
https://www.hobbyheroes.com/collections/bsr-tires

So you find Gone Bananas on Facebook. He’s elusive but busy. Rick Seffrood is his name. Best foams in the game. 608-469-0420 is his number. He did my 1/5 scale GRPs.

BSRs you can find at Heroes Hobbies
https://www.hobbyheroes.com/collections/bsr-tires
Thanks, Heroes Hobbies is the top thing that pops up when I look up GRP's. Should I do Gone Bananas if I am going to go 140+? and how many runs will I get on them?

This just isnt true, GPRs blow up at 120-150 much like the hoons do.
When you see a video of a successful pass at 150 there were 5 other runs where tires blew up that they didn't show you.

When you see a video of a successful pass at 150 there were 5 other runs where tires blew up that they didn't show you.
ok. 😂
Should I do Gone Bananas if I am going to go 140+?

Are sweep tires bad? what do you think about Contact tires?
I will say that Contact is my go to for 1/10 pan car foams for years. But they have only gotten into the 1/8 game as of recently. Contact foams have treated me well. Quality foams in general. Go with a Higher Shore number for better wear. (harder compound) Foams chunk easily. Takes just one pass and one tire can be bricked. At least wont be usable for any 130+ pass . Just test runs. Get 2 sets of foams (8) at minimum or you can be stuck out there in a heartbeat with only 3 shoes.:LOL: Foams are best for Straight Runs only , no turning or Hooning around. Just a few drifts, playing around and they will brick. Been there.
Also as foams wear, rollout decreases and so will the final drive, as a result. They wear down real quick. Sometimes a 3 MPH hit can result. Rotating them is important. Coning can happen to them with a bad wheel alignment also. Foams are a different animal. But they are lighter and much more balanced out the box. But I have seen others have foam separation and blow out with in just a few passes.
The serious hard core speed runners will use a foam tire trueing machine to match and keep diameters the same in sets as they wear. Or to dial in the desired rollout. Some will do it on the rig on the bench. Its messy, but another alternative..

Last edited:
I will say that Contact is my go to for 1/10 pan car foams for years. But they have only gotten into the 1/8 game as of recently. Contact foams have treated me well. Quality foams in general. Go with a Higher Shore number for better wear. (harder compound) Foams chunk easily. Takes just one pass and one tire can be bricked. At least wont be usable for any 130+ pass . Just test runs. Get 2 sets of foams (8) at minimum or you can be stuck out there in a heartbeat with only 3 shoes.:LOL: Foams are best for Straight Runs only , no turning or Hooning around. Just a few drifts, playing around and they will brick. Been there.
Also as foams wear, rollout decreases and so will the final drive, as a result. They wear down real quick. Sometimes a 3 MPH hit can result. Rotating them is important. Coning can happen to them with a bad wheel alignment also. Foams are a different animal. But they are lighter and much more balanced out the box. But I have seen others have foam separation and blow out with in just a few passes.
The serious hard core speed runners will use a foam tire trueing machine to match and keep diameters the same in sets as they wear. Or to dial in the desired rollout. Some will do it on the rig on the bench. Its messy, but another alternative..
Thank you!!
@LibertyMKiii how do you balance GRPs? I think Raz deleted has video.

Here is just a few of many videos out there. I use hobby clay myself, for balancing. Integy and Associated make a good balancer. Some have modded a 17 mm axle to check balance. Even done on the rig with one driveshaft removed. Need a good set of BB's that are clean with no lube in my opinion. BB's specific to a balancer. I always remove the new BB's, clean and use no oil. Or very thin sewing machine oil. Barely a drop if that.

Last edited:
Are sweep tires bad? what do you think about Contact tires?
It all depends on application, I was talking from speedrun perspective. Speedrunning vs perfect lap on track vs hooning the parking lot. All what's designed to excel at medium speeds on perfect surface will not hold up on high speeds and wear quickly hooning around. And it's hard to compare them on shore/compound. A GRP S1 is still 'harder' than most track focused tire.

And a rectification is in order. I completely forgot SP tyres, who deserve the last spot:
.. > Everything else > Sweep > SP tyres

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back