Big Rock Hoping for 3S line updates in 2023

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMightyAtom

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
No questions here, just rambling.

I've been searching for a long-wheelbase 1/10 scale to replace my aging Losi Tenacity MT, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much out there right now that I'd want.

I have a Hoss that's awesome for durability purposes but doesn't have the 13" wheelbase I like most for jumping. The Big Rock would have been perfect, but I want a metal drivetrain and center diff. I don't like slipper clutches. 3S and 4S Arrmas are out of the question.

Team Associated can build the MT10 with these components. Why can't Arrma? The price point is the same ($339 @ Amain).

Arrma --- grant my Christmas wishes and update the 3S line for 2023!

Manufacturers rarely make significant changes if they have a successful product. It's not in Arrmas best interests to make changes to their entry level 3s vehicles: if they made them better it might affect the sales of their 6s vehicles.

You might not be able to remove the slipper clutch system from an Arrma 3s vehicle, but you can add a metal drivetrain. Arrma makes CNC steel transmission modules, and you can add an aluminum driveshaft. I have done that to both my Typhon 3s and my Infraction 3s.

I've been searching for a long-wheelbase 1/10 scale to replace my aging Losi Tenacity MT, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much out there right now that I'd want.

I have a Hoss that's awesome for durability purposes but doesn't have the 13" wheelbase I like most for jumping. The Big Rock would have been perfect, but I want a metal drivetrain and center diff. I don't like slipper clutches. 3S and 4S Arrmas are out of the question.

Team Associated can build the MT10 with these components. Why can't Arrma? The price point is the same ($339 @ Amain).

I think you should get in contact with Mr. @StephenSchandelmayer ,for what you are wanting >>

1671761057273.png

1671761120360.png

1671761139450.png

His Project eXtendo ,should satisfy your wishes..

Last edited:

It would take a solid bit of modifying but I do think the new k4s chassis is long enough to fit in the 6s diff. My build that @Tex Koder showed has 2 of the k4sv2 chassis combined but it also has the long Mojave and long infraction dogbones. I think with the short typhon dogbones it could be on quite well. But again it's a solid bit of work. I might take a whack at it sometime but I'm deep into my 2 stretch builds at the moment lol.

could always use a slipper eliminator but if you're really against even that then I'd suggest just getting an arrma 6s rig or make a custom arrma 6s rig. So many options and possibilities! You could literally make a 4s kraton from 6s arrma parts. A few people here have done it. I think using the typhon chassis.

You might not be able to remove the slipper clutch system from an Arrma 3s vehicle, but you can add a metal drivetrain. Arrma makes CNC steel transmission modules, and you can add an aluminum driveshaft. I have done that to both my Typhon 3s and my Infraction 3s.
I’d love to see how you set that up! Can you post some pics?

Manufacturers rarely make significant changes if they have a successful product. It's not in Arrmas best interests to make changes to their entry level 3s vehicles: if they made them better it might affect the sales of their 6s vehicles.

The downside is Arrma charges $75 for each CNC metal diff assembly and $37 for their metal spur, then you still have to deal with the weak aluminum slipper clutch housing.. dropping $187 just on those components seems crazy when you have rigs like the 6s Fireteam or Typhon that were on sale for $400...

I have just stayed with plastic diffs on my 3S cars and try to drive them a bit easier.

I'd settle for a re-designed slipper clutch that allows a slightly smaller spur. Then either arrma or even aftermarket companies could sell fully enclosed power modules. Would make it challenging to check mesh (might need another way) but I'd prefer not needing to worry about constantly draining debris and water from the power module. And with this new design, once you set mesh, you can basically forget it.

I'd settle for a re-designed slipper clutch that allows a slightly smaller spur. Then either arrma or even aftermarket companies could sell fully enclosed power modules. Would make it challenging to check mesh (might need another way) but I'd prefer not needing to worry about constantly draining debris and water from the power module. And with this new design, once you set mesh, you can basically forget it.
I was thinking it should just be completely open, like the 6s line. They’d have to figure out how to mount etc. Too much re-design so I doubt it’ll happen.

I was thinking it should just be completely open, like the 6s line. They’d have to figure out how to mount etc. Too much re-design so I doubt it’ll happen.
I think that could possibly work. The only issue is that the 3s chassis' are pocketed, such that you'd still get lots of dirt, debris and water accumulation back there with no where to escape. With the 6s trucks, it's open and flat enough that everything can typically slide out. But I'd take either design over a partially closed one that just vacuums up dirt.

I'd settle for an aftermarket design following one of those paths. I suspect the arrma community would eat that right up.

I think that could possibly work. The only issue is that the 3s chassis' are pocketed, such that you'd still get lots of dirt, debris and water accumulation back there with no where to escape. With the 6s trucks, it's open and flat enough that everything can typically slide out. But I'd take either design over a partially closed one that just vacuums up dirt.

I'd settle for an aftermarket design following one of those paths. I suspect the arrma community would eat that right up.
That makes much sense. Would have to redesign the chassis layout. Too much work for them I’m sure lol.

Just buy a slash chassis for your Hoss. If you got the LCG kit, it has most of what you need for like $75. I think the only other piece you need is a center shaft.

Retooling costs lots of $$$$ and with how bad things are in China at the moment, I'm just thankful we can even get any product at all. Arrma has a formula that is currently working for them so I'm not sure they'd see the benefit in changing that formula.

i don't get the problem.

Drivetrain is fine, Diffs are ok, SlipperClutch is ok.

Just don't upgrade the 3s Line to 4s or even 6s.
Just get the new Arrma 4s V2?!

My Drivetrain holds up nicely.
SlipperClutch is ok and can be made better with 7075 SlipperClutch for 25€ and/or the new ring from Arrma for 3€.
Plastic Diffs hold up 20-40 packs till 1 Piece fails. One could use Metall or replace cheaply with stock plastic.

I know this is an old post, but Arrma now makes the RC you were looking for. 4s line now has all metal drivetrain with center diff. If the chassis length/arm length is not exactly what you wanted, you can swap them. 3s/4s line now has 5 chassis lengths, 5 arm lengths, and even 5 shock tower heights, all interchangeable.

Back