Granite Horizon Hobby quality sucks! I'm OUT!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might very well be the ESC. I recently had an ESC fail from a bad hit. Possibly a loose receiver/esc connection. The grinding noise/shaking in your other post is probably a different problem.

It's rarely a Rx issue.
I've actually had 2 failed receivers, but much different symptoms, I thought it was the receiver from the start, and replacing the receiver fixed it.

I have a $8. servo tester and always remove the Rx and TX from the equation at the onset. OP has steering...so he states.:cool:

Might very well be the ESC. I recently had an ESC fail from a bad hit. Possibly a loose receiver/esc connection. The grinding noise/shaking in your other post is probably a different problem.

(My receiver actually failed twice, but much different symptoms, I thought it was the receiver from the start)

I thought that too, so I removed & reseated the connector, and checked for any wire damage. All checked out.

It's early still in the day, place a call to HH for a new ESC under warranty. Sooner you call, the better, the sooner you will get a new ESC.
They do fail. You are not alone.:cool:

I've had my Granite for only a few weeks, and I'm starting to think I made a big mistake going with the products from Horizon Hobby/Arrma. So far I've replaced the radio & servo because they were inadequate, and now I am having serious issues with their wheels. I thought there was a deformity in the plastic casting, but that's not the case. I got a set of Bandito MT wheels with premounted tires, and right off there was a horrible wobbling. Turns out, the plastic is so thin that it begins to warp when driving at speed. After discovering this, I put the stock wheels back on, only to have them do the same thing! Another member on here @Freelander is having similar issues.

So, do I now have to switch brands of wheels/tires too? I bought a RTR model, but thus far it hasn't been the case. I'm regretting not going back to Traxxas. At this point, I'm counting on getting a decent set of wheels and listing the whole thing (including all the spare parts I bought and never used) up for sale. Hugely disappointed!
You have to try GPM racing parts, game changer. Thought the control on my Granite sucked as well!! Put on GPM knuckle and hub and the control is SO MUCH BETTER.
Good luck.

Except now when I attach a charged battery and turn it on, the ESC blinks red and there's no response to radio input, thus the reason I'm suspect of the ESC having gone bad.

This happened to my father's Hobbywing ESC after a tumble. He hasn't opened it up yet to diagnose it, but the EXACT same issue with his aftermarket ESC.

It's early still in the day, place a call to HH for a new ESC under warranty. Sooner you call, the better, the sooner you will get a new ESC.
They do fail. You are not alone.:cool:

Been on hold now going on 40 minutes...

Did they offer a call back option?
You leave your phone# and you get called back according to your place in line. Works for me. Hopefully they still offer that option. I find they always call back within an hour. Sometimes 15 min. I've dealt with them numerous times. Even during the Wuhan BS. As of late the Cust Serv reps all work from home now.
Alternatively, you can fill out a service ticket online. I've done that. It works the same. If you are not sure about your issue, its best to deal over the phone.

....If true, that again speaks to the poor quality of the HH products.
Poor quality of the 'non-shielded' bearings... yes.
This will be true of any manufacturer unfortunately. You wouldn't be alone in any complaint about the bearings. Thing is, Traxxas (well, I'd list any of the numerous other manufacturers.. but ... they're all owned by HH now so .. .all gonna be the same... anyway, point is, unless you get into the 'extreme' vehicles, they are all going to come with those crappy bearings. And, because the wheels are right up front taking in all the dirt/muck/sand/etc, they're gonna be the ones to gather the debris and fail.

I seriously wish Arrma would charge $20 more for their cars and opt for the shielded bearings.... but they don't... so as hobbyists we have to on our own.
$25 for a set from Fast Eddy or TRM (tbm? .. I should know by now I keep buying them -- ah.. TRB) and you'll be all set. Or just buy a few 10 packs for the specific ones you think you might need to replace (wheels, spur gear/motor, differential yoke) and just have spares on hand.

For the wheels you'd need the 6x12x4mm and the 12x15x4mm (which is also used in the yoke and the spur gear/motor case).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZVD22GG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/6x12x4mm-Precision-Bearings-Rubber-MR126-2RS-BU/dp/B00ZVBWSU8/

Often just buying the $25 kits from Fast Eddy (or TRB) is easier as you get every bearing you need. (Though for $10 having 10 bearings as spares is nice too)

But, just like a real car as you've said you've worked on, if a wheel bearing goes out .... what happens? Wheel wobbles... So it very well could be that simple in your Granite. Honestly for $5 worth of bearings, imo, it'd be worth it vs scrapping the Arrma completely.

Shielded bearings run great and are actually faster than sealed. But in dirt and failing to maintain them they will fail sooner than sealed BB. Bearings is a very moot point with this OP. Sealed bearings fail just as easily as the OE. don't blame Arrma for using 50 cent bearings versus $1.00 bearings. Bearings are consumables. And newbs always complain about them. Always. They wait for them to crap out and cry, then blame. Just own up and get new set of bearings.
:cool:

Poor quality of the 'non-shielded' bearings... yes.
This will be true of any manufacturer unfortunately. You wouldn't be alone in any complaint about the bearings. Thing is, Traxxas (well, I'd list any of the numerous other manufacturers.. but ... they're all owned by HH now so .. .all gonna be the same... anyway, point is, unless you get into the 'extreme' vehicles, they are all going to come with those crappy bearings. And, because the wheels are right up front taking in all the dirt/muck/sand/etc, they're gonna be the ones to gather the debris and fail.

I seriously wish Arrma would charge $20 more for their cars and opt for the shielded bearings.... but they don't... so as hobbyists we have to on our own.
$25 for a set from Fast Eddy or TRM (tbm? .. I should know by now I keep buying them -- ah.. TRB) and you'll be all set. Or just buy a few 10 packs for the specific ones you think you might need to replace (wheels, spur gear/motor, differential yoke) and just have spares on hand.

For the wheels you'd need the 6x12x4mm and the 12x15x4mm (which is also used in the yoke and the spur gear/motor case).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZVD22GG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/6x12x4mm-Precision-Bearings-Rubber-MR126-2RS-BU/dp/B00ZVBWSU8/

Often just buying the $25 kits from Fast Eddy (or TRB) is easier as you get every bearing you need. (Though for $10 having 10 bearings as spares is nice too)

But, just like a real car as you've said you've worked on, if a wheel bearing goes out .... what happens? Wheel wobbles... So it very well could be that simple in your Granite. Honestly for $5 worth of bearings, imo, it'd be worth it vs scrapping the Arrma completely.
Shielded bearings (stock) are not the same as Sealed bearings. Your post was confusing. Was that a typo or brain fart or just confused?
This happened to my father's Hobbywing ESC after a tumble. He hasn't opened it up yet to diagnose it, but the EXACT same issue with his aftermarket ESC.
You cant open up most ESC's. They are consumables and get tossed when bricked. The mainboards are potted. Castle ESC's supposedly are designed to be repaired ( if sent back to them) .

Some people are better suited for Traxxassss rigs. Let him go. He wanted a plastic chassis rig anyway. Traxxass has many to choose from.
This thread is so played out. It's pathetic.

Some people are better suited for Traxxassss rigs. Let him go. He wanted a plastic chassis rig anyway. Traxxass has many to choose from.
I agree, some people just like to whine. Alot.

Shielded bearings (stock) are not the same as Sealed bearings. Your post was confusing. Was that a typo or brain fart or just confused?

You cant open up most ESC's. They are consumables and get tossed when bricked. The mainboards are potted. Castle ESC's supposedly are designed to be repaired ( if sent back to them) .

Well I'll be damned, the more ya know. I just assumed it would be possible, thanks for the info!

This thread is a bit ridiculous but I can't look away lol

I called them 'rubber sealed' bearings once and got chewed out ... (which seems I was right to call them "sealed" in the first place)
https://www.bearingtips.com/difference-bearing-shields-bearing-seals/

And as I relook at the Amazon product I quoted... "rubber seals" ...

So from here on out I shall forever call them sealed.
As my original understanding of why a company would use the "metal shielded" ones vs "rubber sealed" in the first place..... yes, the stock "metal shield" provides less friction, allowing for faster rotation (which a company is going to want to make their products faster) and costs less.
This might be fine for any 'street'/strictly paved track RC but the second it sees dirt -- disastrous.

I see almost no differance in rubber sealed and shielded in term of friction its so minimal even racers run rubber sealed metal shielded don't have their places exept in motors who are not exposed to dirt

Horizon Hobby won't cover the ESC since it was damaged as the result of an "accident". Understandable. So, I will be removing the ESC and selling what's left as a roller. Separating out the radio/receiver, street wheels/ tires, batteries & charger, bodies etc.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back