Horizon Hobby site sell!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love my fireteam, Talion, 3S and TLR Typhon. My fireteam has some ridiculously cool tires IMO and I might just pour a few bucks into upgrading my Talion as it was my first Arrma. Plus I want to learn how to work on my own stuff and have a list. My wife is a saint and just said “whatever you wanna do babe”. Pics I posted before. I think learning the craft is more important than another 1000 dollar rig I don’t know how to fix. Talking myself off the ledge is hard! But like Wayne’s World ? Oh yes… someday she will be mine….”

View attachment 269373

View attachment 269374
Working on the cars is half the fun. Definitely get to know your cars and how to diagnose/fix them. It's like 3D Tetris...except that the puzzle you solved is a functioning car at the end :)
Duratrax wheels/tires look a lot like Team Louise wheels...to me anyways. I recently put a set of Team Louise wheels on my K6EXB and I really dig 'em too. Nice rig duder (y)

For sure, that looks great, BudUMfan! I like those tires.

Diem Turner, I just ordered some Duratrax wheels & tires. And I saw people mentioning that, that they look like Louise models. I took a look on both websites, and yeah, I couldn't see a difference. But here in the US, Duratrax is readily available and reasonably priced, but Louise appeared to mainly have options for ordering in Europe. So unfortunately, even if they are the same, it didn't seem like there would be much opportunity to save some cost, etc, by getting the other brand.

For sure, that looks great, BudUMfan! I like those tires.

Diem Turner, I just ordered some Duratrax wheels & tires. And I saw people mentioning that, that they look like Louise models. I took a look on both websites, and yeah, I couldn't see a difference. But here in the US, Duratrax is readily available and reasonably priced, but Louise appeared to mainly have options for ordering in Europe. So unfortunately, even if they are the same, it didn't seem like there would be much opportunity to save some cost, etc, by getting the other brand.
Yeah, that was my impression as well. That Duratrax was for the North American market and Team Louise for Europe. I got a set of the newer MFT MT-Cyclone tires and I've been really impressed with them so far. They're not belted but they don't balloon either. The glue job is good and hasn't required any touch ups and they're quite grippy.

Yeah, that was my impression as well. That Duratrax was for the North American market and Team Louise for Europe. I got a set of the newer MFT MT-Cyclone tires and I've been really impressed with them so far. They're not belted but they don't balloon either. The glue job is good and hasn't required any touch ups and they're quite grippy.
Cool, good to know! From pictures, it looks like the Duratrax name for that tread pattern is the Hatchet tires.

https://www.amazon.com/Duratrax-Hatchet-Monster-Inserts-Compound/dp/B00KJB1KR2

I wish 3.8" tires were a bit cheaper :) I have my stock off-road tires, I'm hoping I can make them last for a while by just using them on dirt & grass. And I have belted street tires coming, for playing in parking lots, etc. But at pretty much $80+ for a set of 4, it's expensive to have a collection of tires, so I won't get to do a lot of experimenting :) I'm keeping an eye on local listings for used tires, though. Maybe I could get a set for fairly cheap.

Cool, good to know! From pictures, it looks like the Duratrax name for that tread pattern is the Hatchet tires.

https://www.amazon.com/Duratrax-Hatchet-Monster-Inserts-Compound/dp/B00KJB1KR2

I wish 3.8" tires were a bit cheaper :) I have my stock off-road tires, I'm hoping I can make them last for a while by just using them on dirt & grass. And I have belted street tires coming, for playing in parking lots, etc. But at pretty much $80+ for a set of 4, it's expensive to have a collection of tires, so I won't get to do a lot of experimenting :) I'm keeping an eye on local listings for used tires, though. Maybe I could get a set for fairly cheap.
Yeah, I'm pretty much in the same boat. Until just recently I was purely into speed running my Infraction for the last year and a half which was joined by a Hobao VTE two months ago. End of December I got a K6EXB as an off-season basher and these were the most expensive tires I've bought by a good margin. I'd love to experiment more too, but I'll only be getting a set of paddle tires for the snow that I'm hoping will still materialize. lol...I nearly crapped my pants when I saw the price of PL Badlands and Trenchers that are pretty popular from what I've read in other threads. I don't think I'll ever have the pleasure. 40-45€/pair is about as much as I can see myself paying for tires.

Yeah, the Baja Rey/Rock Rey are a bit of a pain because you have to remove 347 screws to get the body off. The DBXL should be a lot nicer to work on.
Dude, you ain’t whistling Dixie! I almost decided on a Super Baja Rey before I got my DBXL-E. Thank the lord, I had a situation first where I had to work on a Baja Rey for one of my nephews friends. Is 347 screws an understatement? Holy cow man, a couple hours later I was like, “nope…”
BTW, congrats on the K6! I somehow missed that.

Dude, you ain’t whistling Dixie! I almost decided on a Super Baja Rey before I got my DBXL-E. Thank the lord, I had a situation first where I had to work on a Baja Rey for one of my nephews friends. Is 347 screws an understatement? Holy cow man, a couple hours later I was like, “nope…”
Thanks bro :) After installing new diff pinions (the old ones were knawed down like a 90 year old's teeth) I've been spending a lot of time trying to get the diffs shimmed so the front doesn't click under braking. I finally got it tightened up sufficiently last night and all seems to be well finally. :)

Wow I was in the same boat and didn't know that at all. It's funny too because the DBXL-e body is just two pins and pivots up, yet the way it interfaces with the chassis it really is quite rigid and enclosed. I found a beach volleyball court at my local park the other day and spent a full pack doing massive rooster tail donuts. And when I opened it backup, there was a bit of sand in the battery trays, but the rest of the interior was almost completely clean. The rest of my cars would look like you just dug them out of the ground after that. So pretty good design, although one of the spars in the tube frame has broken near the main pivot on my from a 40mph cartwheeling display, and it's $100+ for a full replacement cage, and you can't buy each piece separately.

If I could only have one car, I'd take my fireteam too. But the losi is definitely the coolest. You all know what I mean - the hobby is only half driving/fixing - the other part is just being in semi awe (to me) and admiring the capabilities and engineering of a toy car that can run flat out at 100's of scale mph over rough terrain.... and the DBXL-e is definitely top of my collection there.

l...I nearly crapped my pants when I saw the price of PL Badlands and Trenchers that are pretty popular from what I've read in other threads. I don't think I'll ever have the pleasure. 40-45€/pair is about as much as I can see myself paying for tires.
+1
I replaced my original Mojave wheels with Louise T-Apollo truggy tires. With 0" offset and 5mm hex extenders, they are a perfect fit. €32 a pair.
Not belted, no foams. Just rubber. Since i upgraded the motor to the Hobbywing 4985, there's so much power and speed, i just run 4S. The wheels are holding up great in the sand and dirt, where i usually run my RC's and tires don't balloon much.
I see no reason to waste more money on original, or even more expensive aftermarket wheels.
Thanks bro :) After installing new diff pinions (the old ones were knawed down like a 90 year old's teeth) I've been spending a lot of time trying to get the diffs shimmed so the front doesn't click under braking. I finally got it tightened up sufficiently last night and all seems to be well finally. :)
Yup.

Attachments

• IMG_20220202_223342.jpg
    IMG_20220202_223342.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
After pumping the breaks on that giant Losi, I picked up a nice starter kit for my work area.”Running is Wrenching and wrenching means running. Lol. I’m excited to properly work on my own stuff for once! With AF guidance.

C26AD030-4971-42BB-AEFD-30866CFB2ADE.png

After pumping the breaks on that giant Losi, I picked up a nice starter kit for my work area.”Running is Wrenching and wrenching means running. Lol. I’m excited to properly work on my own stuff for once! With AF guidance.
Nice! I just got my truck, and haven't needed to do much work to it yet, but I'm sure that will change as I get to drive it more :) Have fun!

Yeah, the Baja Rey/Rock Rey are a bit of a pain because you have to remove 347 screws to get the body off. The DBXL should be a lot nicer to work on.
There is a way to remove the Baja Rey body and roll cage together with just 12 screws. Look it up on YouTube.

Too late for a Christmas tree?

View attachment 270573
That’s is CRAZY high up! Let’s hear that story cause daymn!
Nice! I just got my truck, and haven't needed to do much work to it yet, but I'm sure that will change as I get to drive it more :) Have fun!
My LHS is REALLY cheap for repairs but it adds up. You WILL break something and upgrade. I usually try and fix it myself and then take it into my shop with a bag of parts. That was before I joined AF. Im 55 and ready to work on my fleet.

My LHS is REALLY cheap for repairs but it adds up. You WILL break something and upgrade. I usually try and fix it myself and then take it into my shop with a bag of parts. That was before I joined AF. Im 55 and ready to work on my fleet.
No one works on my RC's or my real cars for that matter. Seen to much incompetence. Love to wrench anyway but the 3's aarma line is the most simplistic and easy to wrench platform I've ever experienced. Parts are SUPER cheap coming from a 5th scale gas background. Plus I'm at a point in my life where I just want to keep it simple, cheap and fun.

My LHS
I had a bunch of buddies over and things got a little nutty. I have a tabletop mx landing that I built an rc playground on, with multiple jumps going different ways. One in particular ended up being a full send to reach the downside of steep ditch bank. Very narrow opening between trees. Being slick it slipped on the face and went right.

Learned a few things….an x maxx doesn’t need as much help coming down compared to a sbr or srr. Outcome of the story is the tree has got to go :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back