Kraton Horrible noise when running worth upgrading to hardened steel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surchaufeur

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Nero
  4. Notorious
My kraton 4s does a nasty noise when going at low speed i never understood why but i think its the pinion being too soft also caused my spur to have small shark looking fins on the side of the spur because of the pinion side wear here is a video:(uploading)

I would expect as steel spur & pinion to be louder rather than quieter.
Can you take pictures to show the wear on the gears?

I would expect as steel spur & pinion to be louder rather than quieter.
Can you take pictures to show the wear on the gears?
Sure but im not home right now
IIRC, the spur is the same plastic as the 3s except with one more slipper pad.
the 4s comes with a steel spur

More like I don't have a 3s/4s rig anymore lol truggified typhon is my smallest rig now ?

But Yeah IDK why I thought it was plastic lol.
I'd say my steel spur is just as loud as yours when driving slow. Not an Arrma though. Maybe other Kraton owners can chime in on whether this is normal.
@fpvmiller, nice. I’m between that and the talion once the funds are right.
The pinion wear sorry for the delay it has worsen a bit
7851FD76-D26B-4D82-92D7-883925C935F4.jpeg

On my typhon its worst but thats because of the pkastic spur with impurities like dirt and rocks i sloted the chassi on it going to do the same on mg kraton

My granite sounds exactly the same running stock pinion and hr metal spur. I just replace the pinion with new stock one as the old one was getting worn, like the one in your pic. But still sounds much the same to me. I just think its the metal on metal making the noise maybe ?‍♂️

yeah it doesn't sound too bad perhaps a little on the loud side, i've gone through everything on mine recently and still sound like a bloody tractor

My K4s sounded funky too now but it’s because I slightly bent that motor plate. The motor no longer sits flush up against the motor mount and any slight angle change of the pinion or spur gear will change the sound it puts out. Same happened on my senton when that motor plate turned into a banana.

My K4s sounded funky too now but it’s because I slightly bent that motor plate. The motor no longer sits flush up against the motor mount and any slight angle change of the pinion or spur gear will change the sound it puts out. Same happened on my senton when that motor plate turned into a banana.

oh I had the exact problem, split the front and somehow bent the plate, I took it out and hammered it straight again, it's back to normal now. OP maybe that's the cause of your problem too?

Attachments

• IMG_20200605_223933.jpg
    IMG_20200605_223933.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20200605_224828.jpg
    IMG_20200605_224828.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20200610_014407.jpg
    IMG_20200610_014407.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 47
@ph47mf :oops:
By the look of that break I think your motor plate bent by trying to get the hell out of the way of whatever you hit!

:LOL: it was just a somersault gone wrong and smacked face down plus a few cartwheels, didn't think it was bad enough to warrant a new chassis!

After my motor mount has bent my pinion looks like my old 3 pinion of the pass year 2mm thick teeths and i decided to make the mesh a bit tighter but still having the play in every corner or the spur but it sounds like conplete crap. But in the other hand if i bend my motor mount in the future in a big crash its going to wear the robinson racing hardened gear too? To be clear i did not hear any noise changing when my motor mount has bent i just noticed it the fellowing day after taking out the body. I have strong hearing and can detect the slight noise change but i heard nothing this time
54F2D325-A94A-42D1-AC2C-2FBB2D4E0D09.jpeg
New vs old

I upgraded my Granite to the metal spur around 2 months ago. It was noisier than plastic, much like the OP's video, but I think that's normal. I've been running it no problem. The other day, all of a sudden my Granite sounded horrible. Opened it up and found my pinion in much worse condition than the photos I see above. Less than a month ago, I started seeing the wear and tear Surchaufeur's shows.

The bad sound did start after a bad roof landing that broke the rear body mount. I was in the midst of attempting a double back flip and had it full throttle. Is it just the bad hit that caused this damage? My motor mount does not look particularly bent. Nothing else looks out of place. Did the impact just tweak the rear end so badly it chewed up the pinion while the wheels were spinning?

I noticed the pinion does have a little play to it if I wiggle it. Is this normal? Anything else that could have caused this? Is this just wear and tear?

I'm getting a new pinion and I was just going switch back to the plastic spur gear, but comparing to the photos here, it seems like there may be an underlying problem I need to address first. I'm going to disassemble the motor mount and pinion to see if I can find something else as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0256.jpg
    IMG_0256.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back