Kraton Horrible noise when running worth upgrading to hardened steel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the pinion wiggles that’s the motor bearing on its way out , seems pretty common on the 3s motors

If you are us based I’d say go boca bearings , I run Jim’s in my rc but not the motor bearings just the other bearings and I would say they’re ok nothing outstanding

If you are us based I’d say go boca bearings , I run Jim’s in my rc but not the motor bearings just the other bearings and I would say they’re ok nothing outstanding
Thanks, Boca has them in stock. Looks like I'll need to open up the motor first. I'm seeing posts that older/newer models may have different size bearings. And those bearings are expensive. I'm just about at the end of my rope with this hobby. It's fun but it's one headache after another, more money, more time.

I think the back bearing doesn’t seem to go so open it up and measure it , when you remove the rear cap be careful as there is some washers and spacers make sure you get them all and remember the way they go in . You will need to heat the pinion grub screw with your solder iron to get it off . This might seem daunting but once you have done it once it’s very easy . when you put the rota back in keep hold of it tightly as the magnets will pull it out of your hand

I'm getting a new pinion and I was just going switch back to the plastic spur gear, but comparing to the photos here, it seems like there may be an underlying problem I need to address first. I'm going to disassemble the motor mount and pinion to see if I can find something else as well.

Did you pull the motor plate and lay it down on a perfectly flat surface (something like a kitchen countertop)? Check that if you haven't already.

It's normal for the pinion to move in/out of the motor a little bit, but it should not move laterally.

Did you pull the motor plate and lay it down on a perfectly flat surface (something like a kitchen countertop)? Check that if you haven't already.

It's normal for the pinion to move in/out of the motor a little bit, but it should not move laterally.
EDIT: Oops, my previous reply was actually to a different post.
Yes I pulled the motor plate out, it's completely flat. The pinion moves just slightly, I'm not so sure there's a problem. It is slightly lateral though.

Last edited:
I think the back bearing doesn’t seem to go so open it up and measure it , when you remove the rear cap be careful as there is some washers and spacers make sure you get them all and remember the way they go in . You will need to heat the pinion grub screw with your solder iron to get it off . This might seem daunting but once you have done it once it’s very easy . when you put the rota back in keep hold of it tightly as the magnets will pull it out of your hand
Thanks for the heads up and warnings. I did watch a video and noticed those washers and spacers and kept track of them. Also made sure to heat up all the screws. Which do you mean by the back bearing? Because one bearing is fine, but the other is no good. It's wobbling and not spinning. Thanks for helping identify this. Hard to be sure if both bearings are the same size because I can't get the problem one out.

So now my problem is, how the HELL do I get this bearing out?!

Attachments

• IMG_0261.jpg
    IMG_0261.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Forget it, done, new motor. I was able to get a screwdriver wedged underneath the bearing. But the bearing disintergrated upon exerting force, leaving only the outside ring stuck inside. I see no possibility of getting it out. The bearing definitely went bad, it's a crumbled mess of weakened, blackened metal.

Do the bearings come out easily in a new motor? I'd obviously like to upgrade the bearings from the start with the next motor. Still don't know what size(s) to get, grrr.

Attachments

• IMG_0263.jpg
    IMG_0263.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0262.jpg
    IMG_0262.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I upgraded my Granite to the metal spur around 2 months ago. It was noisier than plastic, much like the OP's video, but I think that's normal. I've been running it no problem. The other day, all of a sudden my Granite sounded horrible. Opened it up and found my pinion in much worse condition than the photos I see above. Less than a month ago, I started seeing the wear and tear Surchaufeur's shows.

The bad sound did start after a bad roof landing that broke the rear body mount. I was in the midst of attempting a double back flip and had it full throttle. Is it just the bad hit that caused this damage? My motor mount does not look particularly bent. Nothing else looks out of place. Did the impact just tweak the rear end so badly it chewed up the pinion while the wheels were spinning?

I noticed the pinion does have a little play to it if I wiggle it. Is this normal? Anything else that could have caused this? Is this just wear and tear?

I'm getting a new pinion and I was just going switch back to the plastic spur gear, but comparing to the photos here, it seems like there may be an underlying problem I need to address first. I'm going to disassemble the motor mount and pinion to see if I can find something else as well.
The shaft sound not be able to move check your motor bearings
Forget it, done, new motor. I was able to get a screwdriver wedged underneath the bearing. But the bearing disintergrated upon exerting force, leaving only the outside ring stuck inside. I see no possibility of getting it out. The bearing definitely went bad, it's a crumbled mess of weakened, blackened metal.

Do the bearings come out easily in a new motor? I'd obviously like to upgrade the bearings from the start with the next motor. Still don't know what size(s) to get, grrr.
Maybe your hobbyshop wizard can remove it. You can still remove it because the bearing doesn't it completly flush inside you can try and be creative you will get a new motor under warranty try getting a sealed ceramic hybrid bearing the stock ones are not great

I’ve seen people say they got it out by tapping it on an angle through the hole and alternate left to right ect . I did read once that the front plate screws Into the body but ive never tried

I’ve seen people say they got it out by tapping it on an angle through the hole and alternate left to right ect . I did read once that the front plate screws Into the body but ive never tried
Thats what i do. On your second quote im confused what screws into what?

The front motor cap screws Into the motor barrel , I only read someone saying this though

The front motor cap screws Into the motor barrel , I only read someone saying this though

Not on the 3s/4s motors...

Small pen torch on the outside face of the can.. heat in a circular pattern around the outside of the bearing race... if you get it hot enough it will fall right out with a tap on the face of the can, or lightly tap the back of the can on your working surface.. ?

If you end up not bothering with that motor I'd be interested in it..✌

Small pen torch on the outside face of the can.. heat in a circular pattern around the outside of the bearing race... if you get it hot enough it will fall right out with a tap on the face of the can, or lightly tap the back of the can on your working surface.. ?

If you end up not bothering with that motor I'd be interested in it..✌
Thanks for the tip, didn't work, but it was worth a try. I'm trying to see if this is covered under warranty. If not, I'll let you know.

Thanks for the tip, didn't work, but it was worth a try. I'm trying to see if this is covered under warranty. If not, I'll let you know.

If it didnt fall out it wasn't hot enough..? for sure let me know.. I can use a motor for a upcoming project..✌

Heat that thing bad you have nithing to lose
You could try putting a drop of bearing oil to go arround the remining part of the bearing might help

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back