Hot Racing - 17mm Hub Adapter came off mid run

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridgehead44

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Hey All,

Hope everyone is well and safe. I'm a relative noob and was hoping to get some help. I recently added the HR 17mm hub adapters and Proline Badlands to my Granite BLX. I really like the setup. My Granite is much less of a rollover queen with the extra offset.

I went for a bash this afternoon and was having a great time when, about halfway through my second pack, my rear left wheel came off!

At first I thought the nut that attaches the hub extender came loose and fell out (even though I used blue thread lock). However, it didn't. It looks like everything is in tact, except for the heavy duty pin that comes with the kit. Any ideas on what happened and how I can avoid this in the future? Also, can I use a standard pin, or should I go for 1/8 scale pins as a a replacement?

Thanks in advance for your help!

IMG_20210710_155446841.jpg

IMG_20210710_155459263.jpg

IMG_20210710_155506264.jpg

IMG_20210710_164445085.jpg

Make sure you clean the axel stub and screw that holds the adapter on real good. Get all the old thread lock off and both pieces are dry before you put it back together. Also let it sit for 24 hours (best practice) after it's reassembled before you run it.

As for the pin, I would just use whatever is needed to fit the stub and the hub.

This is the reason I switched to 17mm Typhon hubs/axles/hexes. Applying loc-tite well helps, but the HR externders still kept coming off. I lost so many of those damn pins. The HR extensions were my biggest maintenance headache and ended countless runs. The Typhon 17mm setup is so much more durable and reliable. I've never had a problem with it.

this just happened to me in 5min ago, and i used red loctite since i red alotta ppl experience. happened to me 3times already.
i think im just gonna scrap it and keep it stock

Make sure you clean the axel stub and screw that holds the adapter on real good. Get all the old thread lock off and both pieces are dry before you put it back together. Also let it sit for 24 hours (best practice) after it's reassembled before you run it.

As for the pin, I would just use whatever is needed to fit the stub and the hub.

Thank you! I removed and cleaned the hardware for all four hub extenders. This time I used a crescent wrench to hold it in place as I tightened it. Got almost a full extra turn, but was careful not to over-tighten. We'll see how it holds up.

Thanks again!

Thank you! I removed and cleaned the hardware for all four hub extenders. This time I used a crescent wrench to hold it in place as I tightened it. Got almost a full extra turn, but was careful not to over-tighten. We'll see how it holds up.

Thanks again!
Yep be careful not to snap off the axle. They aren’t very strong.

Back