Kraton HOT RACING 29mm DIFF?!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jluther@becoinc

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
  2. Talion
I bought a couple of these and once I got one put together it is too
Wide to fit in the plastic diff case.
I haven’t tried to put it in an aluminum one yet. I put an Arrma gasket on both sides. The little rubber ones kept squeezing out the
Sides. Has anyone else tried these?

Dang. I know this does not help you at all - but this was the reason I am waiting for the Arrma ones (already pre-ordered). I know people who have fitment issues with other HR diff cases.

Got one coming in today but only for the center diff. Will let you know about the o-rings.

Rebuilt my center diff today with 200K. Only put O-ring on the red side, fits right in the groove. Flipped the plates showing signs of wear. Will try to complete and run tomorrow.

20210722_141254.jpg

Finished rebuilding the center diff today and also went to 13T pinion to see if the overheating goes away. What I found out is the diff case rubs against the plastic center diff mount. This causes a bit of binding. I will run it a bit and see if the binding goes away.

Finished rebuilding the center diff today and also went to 13T pinion to see if the overheating goes away. What I found out is the diff case rubs against the plastic center diff mount. This causes a bit of binding. I will run it a bit and see if the binding goes away.
The design is not right. The bearing sits too close to the case and the end of the case will rub the mount. It completely locked up on the aluminum diff mount. I would NOT run this case.

Also they state that there is a steel insert bushing - but this is not true. There is no steel bushing in the aluminum end piece.

Arrma just released the 29mm aluminum diff cases. Due yourself a favor and get one! This HR one is trash.

The design is not right. The bearing sits too close to the case and the end of the case will rub the mount. It completely locked up on the aluminum diff mount. I would NOT run this case.

Also they state that there is a steel insert bushing - but this is not true. There is no steel bushing in the aluminum end piece.

Arrma just released the 29mm aluminum diff cases. Due yourself a favor and get one! This HR one is trash.
I found this out as well, the diff case hits the center diff mount on my EXB.

I don't get it guys, I'm running all three and fitment is beautiful. No gaskets, just o rings.

What did I do right/wrong?
Are you running a HR aluminum center diff mount, or the stock plastic?

Did you see my thread post above? Maybe they changed something in the end piece design? You can clearly see the "ridge" as I call it is not pronounced enough in the HR case to keep the end of the case off of the diff mount.

I cant speak to the F/R diff bulkhead fitment since I only tried in the center.

Are you running a HR aluminum center diff mount, or the stock plastic?

Did you see my thread post above? Maybe they changed something in the end piece design? You can clearly see the "ridge" as I call it is not pronounced enough in the HR case to keep the end of the case off of the diff mount.

I cant speak to the F/R diff bulkhead fitment since I only tried in the center.

Oh I remember now, yes the center didn't fit at first, I used the shims I had for adjusting the front/rear diffs to make the clearance required. Think I used two shims?

I do not have a center hr mount, it's a generic eBay aluminum piece.

I do have the HR bulkheads and they fit great.

No more than one or two shims at any diff (have all 3).
Oh I remember now, yes the center didn't fit at first, I used the shims I had for adjusting the front/rear diffs to make the clearance required. Think I used two shims?

Think these are the ones. Same ones you would use on the front or back. You add them the same way, on the outside of the bearing until it all spins clear.

Screenshot_20220208-122852.jpg

OK. Yes - you could shim the center to correct the issue.

I personally didn't like how HR handled my emails about the issue, making seem like I was wrong in trying to help them with an apparent issue. They sent me a new case...which I trashed with the first damaged one with no plans of using it - so didn't want to shim it to correct the problem. Shims should be to keep correct gear mesh - not added to make a part not self destruct.

Guess I will just have to get future bulkheads and items from Vitavon, and not HR. Wont buy from them again.

OK. Yes - you could shim the center to correct the issue.

I personally didn't like how HR handled my emails about the issue, making seem like I was wrong in trying to help them with an apparent issue. They sent me a new case...which I trashed with the first damaged one with no plans of using it - so didn't want to shim it to correct the problem. Shims should be to keep correct gear mesh - not added to make a part not self destruct.

Guess I will just have to get future bulkheads and items from Vitavon, and not HR. Wont buy from them again.
Yeah well to each his own. I didn't find it to be an issue because I had the shims at hand already and it was no more then a few minutes of inconvenience.

Would be nice to fit with no shims, but I'm very happy with them so far. The whole drive train is just beautiful when it's all solid metal.

Good luck!

Hi mate, my first post on this fantastic forum. Gee I wish I seen your posts before buying this hot racing ally 29mm diff for my kraton exb as I found exactly what you did. . I still have the standard plastic centre diff mount and for hours last night I was stuffing around as when I reinstalled the HR diff and put the plastic cover on soon as I tightened the cap the entire drive train was bound rock solid. How did a company like hot racing get this so wrong? . I seen the comment about the shims but that's no good as it interfere with the cap and causes friction.
Are the Arrma ones out yet? They didn't come up when I purchased the HR one about a month ago.. Cheers, Mark

Hi mate, my first post on this fantastic forum. Gee I wish I seen your posts before buying this hot racing ally 29mm diff for my kraton exb as I found exactly what you did. . I still have the standard plastic centre diff mount and for hours last night I was stuffing around as when I reinstalled the HR diff and put the plastic cover on soon as I tightened the cap the entire drive train was bound rock solid. How did a company like hot racing get this so wrong? . I seen the comment about the shims but that's no good as it interfere with the cap and causes friction.
Are the Arrma ones out yet? They didn't come up when I purchased the HR one about a month ago.. Cheers, Mark

Welcome! Yea, the Arrma ones are out and work great. Vitavon also makes some that work well.

Sad thing about the HR ones is I emailed the company and told them. They made it seem like I was using them wrong. I even sent them a bunch of pics, showing them the end cap ridge near the bearing compared to the stock ones, and they didn't care.

Welcome! Yea, the Arrma ones are out and work great. Vitavon also makes some that work well.

Sad thing about the HR ones is I emailed the company and told them. They made it seem like I was using them wrong. I even sent them a bunch of pics, showing them the end cap ridge near the bearing compared to the stock ones, and they didn't care.
Hi mate, thanks for the warm welcome and reply. No BS just minutes before finding your post I literally did the exact same thing emailing photos and full description of what's happening. When I read your post that they pretty much blamed you and fobbed you off I thought oh well that was a waste of time..
Since I replied to you I went back on Amain and left a 1 star review saying do not buy and with a description of what happened and a customer service guy just emailed me asking if I need help from customer service. I'm in Sydney Australia and I thought that was great. I told them they being the biggest hobby store can force HR to fix this rubbish by telling them they'll delist it until they fix it.. Hopefully hear back shortly. Thanks again for the help and reply.. Cheers, Mark

Hi mate, thanks for the warm welcome and reply. No BS just minutes before finding your post I literally did the exact same thing emailing photos and full description of what's happening. When I read your post that they pretty much blamed you and fobbed you off I thought oh well that was a waste of time..
Since I replied to you I went back on Amain and left a 1 star review saying do not buy and with a description of what happened and a customer service guy just emailed me asking if I need help from customer service. I'm in Sydney Australia and I thought that was great. I told them they being the biggest hobby store can force HR to fix this rubbish by telling them they'll delist it until they fix it.. Hopefully hear back shortly. Thanks again for the help and reply.. Cheers, Mark
Cool deal. Hope they listen and look into it. Great thinking!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back