Hot Racing alloy driveshafts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
I got the delivered and installed today. You have to take apart the diffs to replace the outdrives which they supply. The internal gears are different for these diffs so if you are unfamiliar with them, go slow.

The driveshaft feel substantial. I'd be extremely surprised if they break (and pissed considering what they cost). Im anxious to get the Arrma upgrades and see how they compare. These Hot Racing ones are really expensive. Some photos.
20190204_120042.jpg
20190204_122341.jpg
20190204_123054.jpg
20190204_123200.jpg
20190204_123719.jpg

They look sharp. I really hope there worth the money too. Very tempting but I’m using the Typhon 3s axles/hexes on both my Senton and Granite. I hope HR and Arrma will come out with a version that uses that 17mm set up.

What are the benefits of this upgrade, very expensive, was wondering if its worth spending the money.

What are the benefits of this upgrade, very expensive, was wondering if its worth spending the money.

If you never break the driveshafts, then none. I was always breaking them. Like 10 of them.

Those look very well made. I’m almost willing to drop the money just so I don’t have to deal with flat head screw that attaches the driveshaft to the outdrive.

I lost one of the cross pins already, lol. I used blue loctite but didn't let it cure. Thankfully I had ones that worked. 2 others were in their way out. I'm going into red loctite them and let them cure 24 hours.

Ya... $140 for all for corners, but I’m seriously considering it. Then I’ll need to get the CNC steel pinion and rings gear (AR310885 and AR310886).. 0ufffff... it never ends ???

@bicketybam what is the OD of the outside shaft? I just put my shocks on and had to shim the bottom out to avoid scraping the axle. Not a lot of clearance but hey, clearance is clearance.
No clue but smaller than stock.

those look NICE! how much do they weigh? curious to see the weight comparison between stock and those. I just ordered another spare set of the stock plastic ones from jenny. I cant get myself to spend $140 for a set of these. Ill be waiting for your review.

Also I was curious with those hot racing pivot balls. I odered some, they should be here tomarrow. The stock ones wore out SO FAST. and when I took the turn buckles off, they fell out. Im not sure if its a combination of the balls and the tie rod ends wearing, or if its just the pivot balls that wore out. my question is will the plastic tie rod end wear out fast, now with aluminum pivot balls? At the end of the day, we all want longevity. It is nice having a new RC that costs $299, but when you tally up everything it takes to make these things bulletproof, it makes you say DANG.

I am getting pretty tired of snapping the axle stubs though in this cold Alaska weather. I think i might have to wait till your review comes up and then maybe order these bad boys. Or the arrma ones, I would also like to see what grade of metal was used on the hot racing vs arrma. if theyre hardened tool steel or something softer.

anyways, cheers man

The wrench is not the issue. What I don't like is you gotta hold the diff AND the other outdrive. Just a PITA. Most everything else on this truck is easy, but that one step is aggravating.

those look NICE! how much do they weigh? curious to see the weight comparison between stock and those. I just ordered another spare set of the stock plastic ones from jenny. I cant get myself to spend $140 for a set of these. Ill be waiting for your review.

Also I was curious with those hot racing pivot balls. I odered some, they should be here tomarrow. The stock ones wore out SO FAST. and when I took the turn buckles off, they fell out. Im not sure if its a combination of the balls and the tie rod ends wearing, or if its just the pivot balls that wore out. my question is will the plastic tie rod end wear out fast, now with aluminum pivot balls? At the end of the day, we all want longevity. It is nice having a new RC that costs $299, but when you tally up everything it takes to make these things bulletproof, it makes you say DANG.

I am getting pretty tired of snapping the axle stubs though in this cold Alaska weather. I think i might have to wait till your review comes up and then maybe order these bad boys. Or the arrma ones, I would also like to see what grade of metal was used on the hot racing vs arrma. if theyre hardened tool steel or something softer.

anyways, cheers man

I wish I could answer your question. I have no idea how much they weigh but they are definitely heavier than the stock plastic driveshafts. I can't possibly see me breaking these things. The only minor issue I had was a pin that holds the driveshaft to the diff outdrive fell out. It was my fault for not letting the loctite cure. Are they worth $130+? I doubt it. I would certainly wait on Arrma's offering.

As far as the pivot balls go, I'd say the plastic balls wore way more than the rod ends. Only time will tell if the rods will wear quickly once you change to aluminum. They eventually will, it's just a matter of when.

I think I will wait till arrma releases theirs. thanks for the input. those hot racing ones sure look trick though. they look like they are a time consuming part to make. i can see why the part has such a high price tag. your getting more than your typical bolt on hub, spur gear, etc. I am sure the market will be limited too.

I just found on ebay last night a new hot racing part I never seen before

they are 17mm axle hex adapters. they utilize the pin and barrel nut. its a combination between the integy hex adapters and the hot racing adapters. they look really cool actually. I might order those since I cant find any duratrac hex hubs anywhere.

here is alink
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arrma-Bigr...17mm-Hubs-10mm-Offset-ATF117XT02/273681476521

the only thing is they are much wider. the standard hot racing hex adapters are +6mm

these are +10mm. I don't think 4mm is going to be super noticeable but these look pretty skookum

the integy ones I bought are the same concept, but they don't have the barrel nut. there isn't anything that holds htem tight on the axle. I bought the integy ones and I didn't like them at all. they wobbled ALOT. I think they actually wore out my axle stub shaft out because nothing held them tight onto the axle. Its hard to see the back side of these so I cant say they fit over a 12mm hex. but from my guess, they slip over the axle against the pin and the barrel nut pushes against them for a tight fit.
MUCH better than the integy design.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back