Hot Racing Diff Casing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazy Bushman

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Typhon 3s
Hey guys this question spawned in a sense from the current thread about T-Bone and RPM bumpers. I am giving consideration to the Hot Racing diff case for my Kraton as I really don't like screwing into a plastic diff case as is the situation now for reasons outlined in that post https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/rpm-or-t-bone-front-bumper.11470/

The issue I have is that they are stinking expensive and want to be sure of their value before spending a bit over $200 AUD for two of them and then another ~$80 for the bulk head covers if I don't want to reuse the plastic ones (all prices are inclusive of postage to my little island).

I'd appreciate thoughts on this, particularly if you have had experience with them.

Cheers

I have one for my center differential. I got it because the stock plastic one got chewed up when something got stuck between it and the chassis. Made deep grooves on the outside of it. It seems to be a quality part. It rebuilt nicely and all the screws were easily installed. Plus they look really nice ?

Don't own one, but my apprehension comes from what might happen in a bad roll. The force on the towers has done in a couple of cases already, but they're cheap to replace. Ripping the screws out of an aluminum one would break my heart. If you keep your trucks low to the ground, might be nice add, but if you know you're going to be jumping, flipping, rolling and cart wheeling, not sure that they could take the abuse.
Hey guys this question spawned in a sense from the current thread about T-Bone and RPM bumpers. I am giving consideration to the Hot Racing diff case for my Kraton as I really don't like screwing into a plastic diff case as is the situation now for reasons outlined in that post https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/rpm-or-t-bone-front-bumper.11470/

The issue I have is that they are stinking expensive and want to be sure of their value before spending a bit over $200 AUD for two of them and then another ~$80 for the bulk head covers if I don't want to reuse the plastic ones (all prices are inclusive of postage to my little island).

I'd appreciate thoughts on this, particularly if you have had experience with them.

Cheers
This is the dif case or bulkheads you're asking about, correct? The dif cups are a great add.

I thought about getting the differential case from them but I talked myself out of it. My concern was on the front since I've broken an a-block bolt off before in a crash and I stripped one of the holes out as a result. I was worried about stripping a bolt in the aluminum case and then having an expensive repair/replacement. I think the plastic is a bit more durable in general.

I've busted enough diff gearboxes to have seriously considered these. I have two issues: price and weight. It really annoys me that you have to get the covers separately.

Except stripping a screw from aluminium requires a lot more force than from plastic so I think the risk would be substantially less with the aluminium.

Yes @bicketybam my issues are the same as yours. I really don’t understand why the price of them is so high

Except stripping a screw from aluminium requires a lot more force than from plastic so I think the risk would be substantially less with the aluminium.

Yes @bicketybam my issues are the same as yours. I really don’t understand why the price of them is so high
I'll be interested in how it works out for you if you decide to get them. Like I said, I've been on the fence about this upgrade.

I've busted enough diff gearboxes to have seriously considered these. I have two issues: price and weight. It really annoys me that you have to get the covers separately.

It would be nice if all three parts came as a set ?

I run carbon fiber shock towers to make up for the added weight a little so I would guess that those would break before screws shear. I don’t launch them in to orbit though. Just built out another set for my typhon gt8 build.
EDE21AF9-1D0E-4070-BAE2-C62298CAE8CF.jpeg
8CE4879E-DA5E-4B46-81E0-4C320E5107C1.jpeg
BB0AC6FD-1D19-4203-ABBF-C29A79AAC082.jpeg

It would be nice if all three parts came as a set ?

I run carbon fiber shock towers to make up for the added weight a little so I would guess that those would break before screws shear. I don’t launch them in to orbit though. Just built out another set for my typhon gt8 build.
View attachment 39663View attachment 39664View attachment 39665
I should have clarified. I'm worried about weight because my rigs are already heavy, lol. Just the gearboxes wouldn't concern me much, even with an M2C chassis. It when you add it to all the other stuff I have on my Kraton (that's the truck I would want them for) it really adds up.

yeah, I don’t think the stock diffs would have lasted at all with the tp 4070cm in my Kraton without these.

If I do I will post a note but hopefully other members can do that as i’m Hoping not to buy them in one sense given it cost me more than a quarter of what the car cost me originally
I'll be interested in how it works out for you if you decide to get them. Like I said, I've been on the fence about this upgrade.
Hopefully we will get more feedback from members like @joostin420 and I won't need to but if I do buy them I will provide an update after running them a while. My biggest hesitation is that they will end up costing me more than a quarter of what the entire car cost me in the first place:eek:

.......screwing into a plastic diff case
Why not use a longer screw an add a nut as a preventative measure? It won't keep the plastic from breaking, but it will prevent the common screw stripping that occurs from a hit to the shock towers.

I'll have a look at that, thanks for the suggestion. My problem is that movement isn't stripping anything but it is flogging out the screw holes in the bulkhead and as such the screw no long has much purchase and works its way out. The screw is healthy, the hole in the diff it screws into isn't. I just can't recall if it is possible to put a screw all the way through the housing and attaching a nut on the other side but in theory it seems sound. I will have to have a look over the weekend

There in lies the rub though... your more apt to break a screw off in alloy cases. At least that was one of my main concerns with running those. This fear probably stems from my years of t-maxx life and running alloy bulks on it with 3mm screws snapping off on the skids and stripping the threads from repeatedly having to take them off to replace diffs that grenaded when gazed upon funnily.

I just bought a cup from HR. It is a few millimeters to short. It locks up the gears and will not spin. If I put 4 gaskets in place it might work. Anyone else have and issue?

I did notice this on my current typhon gt8 build. I used the larger of the shims in the Mugen e0206 set. One larger shim behind each of the crown gears only without using 2-1, 2-1 one method behind the planetary gears.

If I used both methods of shimming I had to use 2x gaskets. I stuck with the larger Mugen shims behind the crown gears because I feel less diff fluid seeps out with this arrangement.

So what’s the verdict on the HR diff cases?

Going to rebuild and shim all the diffs and seriously considering these as find the stock screws/cases just feel like they are going to strip any minute!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back