Kraton Hot Racing diff housing shimming

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rcproponent

RCP
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
Morning everyone...

This is the first time I’ve shimmed hr diff cases... about twice as many shims are needed to take out the slop as a normal diff case...

I was curious.. has anyone shimmed the other side as well as the ring gear side?

do you want any tick tock action between the ring and pinion gears? Kinda like spur and pinions on motor /center diff. Or do I want the lash in the gear box as tight as possible (all shims on ring gear side)

thanks for the help folks..

Morning everyone...

This is the first time I’ve shimmed hr diff cases... about twice as many shims are needed to take out the slop as a normal diff case...

I was curious.. has anyone shimmed the other side as well as the ring gear side?

do you want any tick tock action between the ring and pinion gears? Kinda like spur and pinions on motor /center diff. Or do I want the lash in the gear box as tight as possible (all shims on ring gear side)

thanks for the help folks..
First question, when you say diff case do you mean the actual diff case where the sun and planet gears are or do you mean the "diff case" where a completed diff is housed with the ring and pinion? They are two completely different components. If you are talking about the box where the completed diff and ring gear are thats called a gearbox. And my hr gearbox needed 1 shim on the gear side and I wanted mine nice and tight to the pinion but not binding either. The stock rtr gears have poor engagement so they like to skip.

First question, when you say diff case do you mean the actual diff case where the sun and planet gears are or do you mean the "diff case" where a completed diff is housed with the ring and pinion? They are two completely different components.
image.jpg

My bad... the housing ..

Currently have (4) .15 Shims on the ring side.

no tick tock gear lash between the ring and pinion in this configuration.

View attachment 102832
My bad... the housing ..

Mine only needed one shim and no lash either, but I did no lash out of annoyance for breaking ring gears I wanted to make sure they could never skip again lol. But I have been running it like that for a while now and no issues for me and most important no more damn gear skip. Goes to show how poor either arrmas or hr QC is though, if yours can take 4 and mine needed one that's quite the difference.

View attachment 102832
My bad... the housing ..

Forgive the dumb question, newbie here. Where are the actual shims in this picture? I hear alot about shimming diffs just need to locate it where the area is that would normally be shimmed.

Mine only needed one shim and no lash either, but I did no lash out of annoyance for breaking ring gears I wanted to make sure they could never skip again lol. But I have been running it like that for a while now and no issues for me and most important no more damn gear skip. Goes to show how poor either arrmas or hr QC is though, if yours can take 4 and mine needed one that's quite the difference.
Dang no kidding.. quite the difference.
Forgive the dumb question, newbie here. Where are the actual shims in this picture? I hear alot about shimming diffs just need to locate it where the area is that would normally be shimmed.
A489E4FF-2820-4534-BDD4-EF7CD54C4859.jpeg

thanks! so the idea behind this is to remove any slop in the system correct? Do all Kraton 6s benefit from this?
It's to push the gears together tighter so they can't jump and skip teeth causing massive damage. The stock setups have so much lash and slop that the gears like to jump and skip. Also too much slop breaks pins.

My exb diff needs 0.4mm shims i cant put more and i still have tiny bit of play and i need to shim the input gear. And be carful when tightneing the diff cover i splied the bottom right plastic screw hole?

What shims are using for this? I have 2 HR gearboxes on the way and will need to do the same. Thanks!

I have 3 Tekno shims on the ring gear side and 2 Tekno shims on the opposite side in the front, in the rear I have 2 and 2 iirc. I'm using Hot Racing diff cases and gearboxes.

How do you know when to put shims on the other side?? ??‍♂️
In my case if I tried to put 4 shims on one side the mesh was too tight, if I pulled out a shim the diff moved from side to side, adding the shim on the other side removed the side to side play.

In my case if I tried to put 4 shims on one side the mesh was too tight, if I pulled out a shim the diff moved from side to side, adding the shim on the other side removed the side to side play.
Thanks for your reply, when setting the mesh... are you looking for the same kinda lash you’d want for motor pinion to spur ??

Thanks

Thanks for your reply, when setting the mesh... are you looking for the same kinda lash you’d want for motor pinion to spur ??

Thanks
You should have just enough backlash to know it's there less than with the motor pinion and spur, too tight and you risk overheating the motor do to the increased strain and too loose and you will eventually ruin your crown and pinion gears.

-edit- And I lied the rear is 3 on the crown gear side.
98338458_2679644548974544_1887779203382771712_n.jpg

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back