Granite Hot racing diff issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P0SEID0N2025

Reaction score
I have the hot racing gears in my granite and as of trying to install them, they are very tight mesh, no matter what i do with shims it wont get smooth. Its always hard to turn or at least a lot harder then the plastic gears... it will move but i cant imagine its meant to be like this. I would send a video but i cant. Its just stiff and not as smooth as i would expect it to be and increases rolling resistance by a fair ammount

48770368-1EC0-43BB-85C4-AC992BC251E1.jpeg
I have the hot racing gears in my granite and as of trying to install them, they are very tight mesh, no matter what i do with shims it wont get smooth. Its always hard to turn or at least a lot harder then the plastic gears... it will move but i cant imagine its meant to be like this. I would send a video but i cant. Its just stiff and not as smooth as i would expect it to be and increases rolling resistance by a fair ammount. I am using the arrma branded diff case, the one that comes without the gear on it.

Last edited:
First off, the left side of the yoke isn't pressed on to the diff shaft properly. And it is possible that you need the HR diff cup to go with the HR ring gear.
In addition to using the HR diff cup, I suggest you get the HR aluminum diff yokes. They flex less than the plastic yokes, which keeps the gear mesh from changing due to flex and saves the gears from stripping.

When you tighten the yoke, you don't need to tighten down very tight at all. Basically enough to just barely join the two sides. I ran into the same issue even with the stock gears. I kept tightening down like i normally would with any 2mm hex screws but the gear mesh was super tight. Couldn't figure out why the gears weren't spinning well, even when test fitting in the chassis. Once i backed off the screws on the yoke slightly, problem solved. Could be the case here, worth giving it a shot.

First off, the left side of the yoke isn't pressed on to the diff shaft properly. And it is possible that you need the HR diff cup to go with the HR ring gear.
In addition to using the HR diff cup, I suggest you get the HR aluminum diff yokes. They flex less than the plastic yokes, which keeps the gear mesh from changing due to flex and saves the gears from stripping.
Hmm i cant seem to get the bearings in any farther. And as of on the hot racing complete diff setup, how far away is the gear from the side? Heres mine.

image.jpg

Last edited:
When you tighten the yoke, you don't need to tighten down very tight at all. Basically enough to just barely join the two sides. I ran into the same issue even with the stock gears. I kept tightening down like i normally would with any 2mm hex screws but the gear mesh was super tight. Couldn't figure out why the gears weren't spinning well, even when test fitting in the chassis. Once i backed off the screws on the yoke slightly, problem solved. Could be the case here, worth giving it a shot.
As for the yokes, no matter how loose i get them, they arent smooth.

Okay as of now i decided to put it together with as least resistance as possible, it seems okay, but I'm still a littke bit skeptical. I think I'm just gonna hope its fine 🤣

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back