Outcast Hot racing differential case

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dlp-rc

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Outcast 6s
Was thinking about getting the hot racing differential cases and the Arrma aluminum diff gear carriers. Would these prolong life of gears and make for a more bullet proof setup? Thanks!

Short answer no.

The gears would need to be upgraded in order to prolong their life. Most people upgrade the gearboxes because they break the stock ones. The aluminum diff cups if anything might prolong the maintenance intervals as aluminum does a better job at cooling than plastic does.

An aluminum differential case will not distort and flex like the plastic case will under heavy impact or extreme load. This is especially important for the 4 screws that hold the cover in place, as any deflection in the case portion will result in a separation of the crown gear from the pinion, resulting in a higher load on the tip of the individual teeth on the crown gear making contact with the pinion tooth. This is what causes them to chip, round off and strip out the teeth just before and after the tooth that’s been chipped due to excessive load or case deflection.
To me, it’s not worth the cost of upgrading to aluminum because I look at differentials as expendable wear items that will need to be rebuilt and/or replaced every 40 or so 6s packs.

Personally I put the aluminum gear boxes on all my Arrma ‘s. Crown and input gear are expensive $40 and my time. The aluminum ones cost but they pay for themselves
I could only get maybe 10 runs out of the plastic housings. With the HR aluminum as long as I check my bearings around the input gear( if they start to allow movement) they last indefinitely

Personally I put the aluminum gear boxes on all my Arrma ‘s. Crown and input gear are expensive $40 and my time. The aluminum ones cost but they pay for themselves
I could only get maybe 10 runs out of the plastic housings. With the HR aluminum as long as I check my bearings around the input gear( if they start to allow movement) they last indefinitely

Awesome. I just ordered me two of them. I figured they helped. And I like to run and not have to mess with stuff as much lol ? do you just shim them identical to how they are shimmed from the factory ? The two washers on that one side of the ring gear ?

Awesome. I just ordered me two of them. I figured they helped. And I like to run and not have to mess with stuff as much lol ? do you just shim them identical to how they are shimmed from the factory ? The two washers on that one side of the ring gear ?
Yeah you may only need one but shim as needed and use blue loctite. No more stripped gears. Just check your input gear bearings if the cup just outside the gear case starts to wobble when you touch it change the two input bearings. Sometimes you can can just tighten up the cup

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 53
Yeah you may only need one but shim as needed and use blue loctite. No more stripped gears. Just check your input gear bearings if the cup just outside the gear case starts to wobble when you touch it change the two input bearings. Sometimes you can can just tighten up the cup

Ok thanks for the help! I’m excited I love the looks of the hot racing case too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back