Granite Hot Racing Heavy Duty CVD Shafts Long Term Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AimlessRC

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I just got these in the mail. So far, I have seen only GOOD things on this particular version of the HR axles. This is the Heavy Duty splined version, costing $68 at most distributors.

Fitment:
They are a 100% bolt in to the 3S BLX 4x4 1:10 chassis on front, or rear. Full disassembly of the diff is required to install the new drive pinions. All of the stock hardware fits with zero issue. I am also taking this opportunity to toss some 30k cst oil in the rear and 50k cst in the front... as well as upgrade the external diff bearings to sealed units from Losi.

Quality: (pre-driving impressions)
Dimensionally they are spot on to the stock Arrma shafts... length is perfect, and take up less real estate in general. No scratches or dings. Tried wrenching on them... pulling... tapping... prying... nothing broke.

Once the Granite is on all fours again I will post back with running impressions.

Attachments

• 20190719_154751.jpg
    20190719_154751.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 231
  • 20190719_161051.jpg
    20190719_161051.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 153
  • 20190719_154908.jpg
    20190719_154908.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 148
  • 20190719_154839.jpg
    20190719_154839.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 156
They are too short for the Typhon 3S a-arms. Glad they fit your Granite. They won’t last long. Enjoy them while you can.

They are too short for the Typhon 3S a-arms. Glad they fit your Granite. They won’t last long. Enjoy them while you can.

They are specifically for BigRock, Senton, Granite according to the supplier, so yes... not the Typhon... but they do make Typhon ones that fit... AR220030, but they are not the HD ones that I am reviewing. In fact... those are 2/3 the price of these and have multiple negative reviews.

The ones I am reviewing replace factory parts ARAc3974 (AR310870) ARAC3999, and AR310775.

I intend to be forthcoming on the quality of these things... I have nothing to hide/gain on the matter. But if these are worth it, then maybe it will help someone else down the road. The hobby is too expensive and vast to not want to help guide people.

They are specifically for BigRock, Senton, Granite according to the supplier, so yes... not the Typhon... but they do make Typhon ones that fit... AR220030, but they are not the HD ones that I am reviewing. In fact... those are 2/3 the price of these and have multiple negative reviews.

The ones I am reviewing replace factory parts ARAc3974 (AR310870) ARAC3999, and AR310775.

I intend to be forthcoming on the quality of these things... I have nothing to hide/gain on the matter. But if these are worth it, then maybe it will help someone else down the road. The hobby is too expensive and vast to not want to help guide people.

First off, which part number do you have? If it’s the ATF288RC then it says it works with the Typhon as long as you have the HR hubs, which I do have.

Hehehehe get um bickety ??‍♂️
Search results on this site must not work. What is the inside joke on these axles that Im missing? Cite me something specific... a thread... a post... anything...
Yup ATF288RC... this is the posting description.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190719-170820.png
    Screenshot_20190719-170820.png
    402.9 KB · Views: 44
Just DM'd BicketyBam... seems he's the only person in the world to break them and everyone is taking that as Gospel.

Just DM'd BicketyBam... seems he's the only person in the world to break them and everyone is taking that as Gospel.
I chose to stay away because of the way they ignored him instead of standing behind their product. I have a hard time supporting a company that doesn't even reply to a customer with a problem. Just my personal stance.

Welp, I'll take it as a warning... thanks everyone for chiming in. Bickety said it may be a month... or a day... but they will eventually break. So, there's that to look forward to.

That being that. Still moving forward here.

I'm documenting everything in a build video, so if they screw me over later I have proof of following their instructions.

I drove hard enough on 3S in grass to dislodge one rear stock Granite U joint ONCE. I think between heavier oil, loosening the slipper a 1/2 turn, and these axles... I have a chance.

Time will tell, keep you all posted.

Welp, I'll take it as a warning... thanks everyone for chiming in. Bickety said it may be a month... or a day... but they will eventually break. So, there's that to look forward to.

That being that. Still moving forward here.

I'm documenting everything in a build video, so if they screw me over later I have proof of following their instructions.

I drove hard enough on 3S in grass to dislodge one rear stock Granite U joint ONCE. I think between heavier oil, loosening the slipper a 1/2 turn, and these axles... I have a chance.

Time will tell, keep you all posted.
I really enjoy logged reviews like this. My bias has no reflection of performance, and I have a curiosity about the possible reliability of these. I'll be watching, and thanks for the effort you're putting into this!

Install was easy. Ripped it around the basement, so far so good. True test this weekend.

Attachments

• 20190720_011425.jpg
    20190720_011425.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 20190720_011446.jpg
    20190720_011446.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 20190720_011802.jpg
    20190720_011802.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 100
After 2 2S packs, and 1 3S pack (all 80C)... they're holding up. I did grease the jointed ends and the slip joint with some Losi "Great Grease" when I initially installed them, and it's still in there, be it a bit dirty now. I figure every few runs, I'll pop the upper tie-rod off, clean them up and re-pack with grease. Maybe a full tear-down after a couple of months of running.

No play, no wiggle, positive engagement, wheelies on command... basically running like it was before.

HARD runs on grass, asphalt. Lots of hard braking (couple of accidental front-flips), full speed, sharp turns, off-corner diffing out and ballooning on purpose to see if they would pop. Couple of small jumps but nowhere near airing it out just yet.

Hoping to take it to an indoor clay track this weekend, if the weather isn't 100 degrees again maybe the out-door short course track.

More to come.

Mine lasted about 6 weeks or so. Be wary of the pins that hold the slider part on. The only thing holding them in is that rubber boot. If you lose one you will be fabing one up yourself because there is no way to get in touch with HR to get a replacement. Another thing to be mindful of is the bearing that came with the part that goes inside the diff case. Mine came apart and the internal gears got trashed.

Quick Update:

20 packs through these things... 2S and 3S, tracks, asphalt, grass, clay. Punch on 4 or 5.

Took them apart to do a full inspection and re-grease. The only thing I see is basic wear on the black coating. Some grit must have got in under one of the boots and caused a rub mark... but there are no signs of damage. The ball sockets look great, pins have slight wear marks, but nothing you can feel with a fingernail, and the splines are still nice and tight.

Will continue to post updates during maintenance or if something happens in the mean time!
Mine lasted about 6 weeks or so. Be wary of the pins that hold the slider part on. The only thing holding them in is that rubber boot. If you lose one you will be fabing one up yourself because there is no way to get in touch with HR to get a replacement. Another thing to be mindful of is the bearing that came with the part that goes inside the diff case. Mine came apart and the internal gears got trashed.

When I had these apart I tried like hell to push out the pins holding the inner slider and they wouldn't budge. I was under the impression they were press-fit. Next time they're apart (barring catastrophic failure) I will inspect them again... maybe even replace them with roll-pins.

Attachments

• P1030511.JPG
    P1030511.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 89
  • P1030512.JPG
    P1030512.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 104
  • P1030520.JPG
    P1030520.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 87
  • P1030521.JPG
    P1030521.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 89
  • P1030528.JPG
    P1030528.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 94
Quick Update:

20 packs through these things... 2S and 3S, tracks, asphalt, grass, clay. Punch on 4 or 5.

Took them apart to do a full inspection and re-grease. The only thing I see is basic wear on the black coating. Some grit must have got in under one of the boots and caused a rub mark... but there are no signs of damage. The ball sockets look great, pins have slight wear marks, but nothing you can feel with a fingernail, and the splines are still nice and tight.

Will continue to post updates during maintenance or if something happens in the mean time!

When I had these apart I tried like hell to push out the pins holding the inner slider and they wouldn't budge. I was under the impression they were press-fit. Next time they're apart (barring catastrophic failure) I will inspect them again... maybe even replace them with roll-pins.
Good stuff. I'm keeping an eye on this thread

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back