Granite Hot Racing Heavy Duty CVD Shafts Long Term Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really don't know how much "hard" use you have had on these to really test the durability not expecting Duperbash sending but would like to know how they hold with a little bit more abuse that you have given them so far. But maybe more to come since this is a "long" term review and have to keep checking back in.

Quick Update:

20 packs through these things... 2S and 3S, tracks, asphalt, grass, clay. Punch on 4 or 5.

Took them apart to do a full inspection and re-grease. The only thing I see is basic wear on the black coating. Some grit must have got in under one of the boots and caused a rub mark... but there are no signs of damage. The ball sockets look great, pins have slight wear marks, but nothing you can feel with a fingernail, and the splines are still nice and tight.

Will continue to post updates during maintenance or if something happens in the mean time!

When I had these apart I tried like hell to push out the pins holding the inner slider and they wouldn't budge. I was under the impression they were press-fit. Next time they're apart (barring catastrophic failure) I will inspect them again... maybe even replace them with roll-pins.
Can you post a photo of one with the boots on the ends fully assembled and one without? I can't wrap my head around @bicketybam's comment regarding the boot holding the pin in looking at your photo's.

They appear somewhat similar to how my MIP's are on my stampede. Except they have no boots anywhere. Since they are fully exposed, I use white lightning wax chain lube on the slider and joints so as to avoid having dirt/grit get stuck in them. They have been going strong for 2 years now. They were also pricey at $140 for the set.

Currently working on building a jump at my house and searching out skate parks... unfortunately mid-summer everyone and their mother is always at the parks near me.

Put it this way. The way I drive, I popped the stock driveshaft twice... have had zero incidents with these HR units so far. Plus... in a crash, they probably wont hold up as well as plastic... but I've run my car into concrete walls at 3/4 throttle at indoor clay tracks and haven't broken anything.

More will come.

Currently working on building a jump at my house and searching out skate parks... unfortunately mid-summer everyone and their mother is always at the parks near me.

Put it this way. The way I drive, I popped the stock driveshaft twice... have had zero incidents with these HR units so far. Plus... in a crash, they probably wont hold up as well as plastic... but I've run my car into concrete walls at 3/4 throttle at indoor clay tracks and haven't broken anything.

More will come.
Go land some big doubles and triples. That's the true test.

I usually have to get there at 8am during the summer, then I get an hour or so at my local one. I live in a college town, so spring/fall are tough too as college kids show up, but rarely before 10am. During the summer I just have local kids, who typically also sleep in. That was one reason why I started running electric... my skate park is across the street from houses and right next to a dog park. Running quite trucks keeps me able to have places to run locally early in the morning.

Can you post a photo of one with the boots on the ends fully assembled and one without? I can't wrap my head around @bicketybam's comment regarding the boot holding the pin in looking at your photo's.

This is the pin under the boot.
20190822_185535.jpg

Yea, I emailed trying to get a part number for the red retainer sleeves. Got a generic response. Emailed again. Same generic response.

*sigh*

Pretty poopy of them. At least GPM answers immediately with a person when you email them...

Yea, I emailed trying to get a part number for the red retainer sleeves. Got a generic response. Emailed again. Same generic response.

*sigh*

Pretty poopy of them. At least GPM answers immediately with a person when you email them...
They will NEVER answer your email.

I will still buy items that don't need warranty or info, like chassis braces or something like that. But never again will I buy items that could possibly need support or warranty, unless I buy from Amazon so I can return them.

A full set of driveshafts is half the cost of the friggin' truck and you can't even get a replacement pin for them. Forget about their 1/2 price exchange program. That's just an outright lie.

This is the pin under the boot.
View attachment 46359
Now I get it. Thanks!

I think if I had those, I'd put a couple wraps of wire around before putting the boot on. Something like the inside of a bread twist tie just to have a metal something holding it and not relying on the boot, which can easily get dislodged by a stick or something.

Now I get it. Thanks!

I think if I had those, I'd put a couple wraps of wire around before putting the boot on. Something like the inside of a bread twist tie just to have a metal something holding it and not relying on the boot, which can easily get dislodged by a stick or something.
Snap ring?

This alone will cause me to black-list Hot Racing... I will snap their f*cking driveshafts on purpose just to prove a point.

I now see your frustration.

Black listing them is a great idea except HR seems to make a few parts no one, or very few others do. I don't have any HR stuff on the Noto, but my wife wants hex adapters for her Granite and I've been having a hell of a time finding any other options.

Black listing them is a great idea except HR seems to make a few parts no one, or very few others do. I don't have any HR stuff on the Noto, but my wife wants hex adapters for her Granite and I've been having a hell of a time finding any other options.
I’ve looked too. Most of the eBay ones are for 5mm or 6mm axle shafts. I believe the 3S axle shaft is 5.5mm.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back