Outcast Hot Racing Servo Saver on Outcast 4s install question (Spline adapters labeled wrong?) Also reasons why I am not going to be using the HR servo saver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Custnam

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
I just finished installing the HR servo saver on my Outcast 4s and have a question for others that have used it. The included spline adapters are 23 tooth for KO, Sanwa, and JR, 24 tooth for Hitec, and 24 tooth for Futaba according to the parts and their site. But on my stock Arrma servo as well as the Hexfly HX3225 I as using that are both 25 tooth the only one that fit was the one with the "K, S, and J" on them which should be the 23 tooth. The one labeled "F" for Futaba didnt even come close to fitting. So I am using the KSJ one and it works great. Anyone else have this issue when they used the HR servo saver?

Other than that its great so far. Just used a bit of orange thread lock to hold the screw for the steering link on and its nice and tight. I also have the HR bellcrank on the way as well as the HR pivot ball set to hopefully get rid of some of the steering slop.

20200304_193440.jpg
20200304_194047.jpg
20200304_194114.jpg

Last edited:
I just finished installing the HR servo saver on my Outcast 4s and have a question for others that have used it. The included spline adapters are 23 tooth for KO, Sanwa, and JR, 24 tooth for Hitec, and 24 tooth for Futaba according to the parts and their site. But on my stock Arrma servo as well as the Hexfly HX3225 I as using that are both 25 tooth the only one that fit was the one with the "K, S, and J" on them which should be the 23 tooth. The one labeled "F" for Futaba didnt even come close to fitting. So I am using the KSJ one and it works great. Anyone else have this issue when they used the HR servo saver?

Other than that its great so far. Just used a bit of orange thread lock to hold the screw for the steering link on and its nice and tight. I also have the HR bellcrank on the way as well as the HR pivot ball set to hopefully get rid of some of the steering slop.

View attachment 68330View attachment 68331View attachment 68332
how are u finding the 25kg servo does it make any difference compared to the stock? Im going to upgrade to the Kimborough servo saver but was thinking about upgrading the servo too

how are u finding the 25kg servo does it make any difference compared to the stock? Im going to upgrade to the Kimborough servo saver but was thinking about upgrading the servo too

Love the servo. Used it in all my Arrma RC's and its been great. I also decided to go back to the Kimbrough one. Ill explain in a new post below.

Last edited:
Well that didnt last long. Within 10 seconds of using the HR one I had a problem. I barely tapped a curb and the steering went crooked and stayed that way. I checked the saver and it had moved itself and didnt recenter after "saving" the servo (Pic #1). And then when I took off the spline adapter the entire top of it was sheared off (Pic #2). Im not sure if that was because I was using the wrong one or what. I used the only one that fit despite it saying it was the 23T one. Like I said above I think they just got labeled wrong.

So with the issue I posted above with the spline adapter and now this I decided to just stick with the Kimbrough one. I did however use the HR steering link. So at least that will help with some of the slop as well as the HR bellcrank and pivot ball set I have on the way.

20200305_181703.jpg

20200305_182005.jpg

20200305_191947.jpg
20200305_191955.jpg

The ONLY reply you will get from HR is the auto reply they send upon receipt of your email. You will never get a human originated response. What I do, and it’s kind of shady, is to buy a replacement part on Amazon and return the old one on the new order. I am not proud to do this, but it is the only way to get a “warranty replacement”.

Kimbrough to the rescue. IMO. My go to when I have problems with OE SS of this design. The heavy duty Kim.variants are best. But sometimes oversized a bit too much and just need slight trimming. Depending. Kim. SS splines don't strip out.

Kimbrough to the rescue. IMO. My go to when I have problems with OE SS of this design. The heavy duty Kim.variants are best. But sometimes oversized a bit too much and just need slight trimming. Depending. Kim. SS splines don't strip out.

What is the SS you are referring to here?

Well I have a kimbrough 123 bagged up and ready to go back , with the correct insert in it has slop when fully tightened some after turning it always locks slightly one way or the other , this was the same when seated on the stock servo or the savox I fitted yesterday . I will say my arrma saver is only two months old and still centres perfect but with all the forum comments about it should be changed I thought I’d go for it , spring tension on it felt no worse or better than the kimbrough one . I’ll be replacing with a stock one when needed .
any body on the fence over the servo upgrade do it , silly speed response and even though I fitted a 15kg servo it turns the wheels when the car is sitting on the carpet which the old servo could hardly do.

I was on hot racing Facebook. No posts since November. I think they are done? I sent them a message there asking how to get parts! That was two days ago. No reply. No phone number anywhere.

Spring strength means nothing if it’s loose on the splines and I’d be all over buying from this guy over a large company .

With a known strong servo and its related set of metal gears, a SS is not needed. IMO. But a well chosen SS has a purpose and is peace of mind. It not only protects the servo, but also protects the steering rack/assembly right to the wheels and arms depending on the rig and how you drive. I feel they all wear out at some point. Steering slop drives me crazy. I try to avoid that. There's nothing worse than lazy steering.:(
Well I have a kimbrough 123 bagged up and ready to go back , with the correct insert in it has slop when fully tightened some after turning it always locks slightly one way or the other , this was the same when seated on the stock servo or the savox I fitted yesterday . I will say my arrma saver is only two months old and still centres perfect but with all the forum comments about it should be changed I thought I’d go for it , spring tension on it felt no worse or better than the kimbrough one . I’ll be replacing with a stock one when needed .
any body on the fence over the servo upgrade do it , silly speed response and even though I fitted a 15kg servo it turns the wheels when the car is sitting on the carpet which the old servo could hardly do.
I've run across that myself.(y)

Two Fan model servos and one DS3225 servo and fitment (124 25t) is fine to me (no slop) and re-centers well. Use whatever you want. If you're happy with the stock saver then fine don't change just for the sake of change or even somebody else telling you to do so.

It's just another way Arrrma/Horizon cheaped out on the Mega, 3s and 4s 4x4 models with the servo saver on the servo instead of one in the bellcrank.

I avoid SS if possible. A good known strong servo with a good gear train is best .IMO. I don't like lazy steering. But I prefer Kimbrough if I need one. Depends on the rig. A SS not only saves the servo, but all the related steering components out to the wheel. SS do wear out. Springs get weak. It's a consumable from my exper.

Love the servo. Used it in all my Arrma RC's and its been great. I also decided to go back to the Kimbrough one. Ill explain in a new post below.
Thanks for the info ive just ordered one too, once the new servo comes will pop them in
i got the heavy duty one

When my Kim.SS wears out(develope slop), I'll usually drill through and pin them solid till I decide to get another if I do.

I use the white kimbourgh servo saver a bit stronger than stock and no slop but i should maybe get the black one hot racing cant even make a servo saver right? If it was mode for arrma vehicules why make an adapter if all of the 4x4 use a 25 spline
IMG_1104.JPG

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back