Hot racing shock oil to big rock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elpalmo93

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello, which oil are recommended for Hot Racing shocks to big rock? 40wt?

Last edited:
Stock oil in the Big Rock is 500cst or approximately 40wt. I have 6s shocks on my Big Rock with Team Associated RC8B3 yellow springs and run 60wt silicone shock oil and the truck rides great and handles big jumps with hard landings just fine. The 6s shocks originally came with 1000cst/ 80wt oil and the Big Rock rode very rough and bounced around a lot while driving fast over rough ground. After the above changes to the springs and oil it now handles rough ground great.

This may be too late if you already have the Hot Racing shock bodies, but I think the main reason to upgrade 3s shocks is durability. Bent shock shafts in particular. The Hot Racing shock bodies re-use the stock shock shafts so I don't see them as much of an upgrade. They are also the same bore size and re-use the stock pistons so there isn't going to be an improvement in performance. Finally, the Hot Racing shock bodies are actually shorter than stock, so if anything, they may be a downgrade in both performance and durability.

The only advantage I see are that the threaded shock collars provide finer adjustability than stock.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back