Kraton Hot racing upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wondering the same thing. It’s an upgrade I keep avoiding because I have never damaged a plastic one. But I’m curious to know if they remove any front end slop.

Wondering the same thing. It’s an upgrade I keep avoiding because I have never damaged a plastic one. But I’m curious to know if they remove any front end slop.
Yeah the guy at my local hobby shop told me when I bought it told me to hold off because the v5 is really beefed up from previous versions

Yeah the guy at my local hobby shop told me when I bought it told me to hold off because the v5 is really beefed up from previous versions
Not sure if the steering rack changed, don’t think so.

Just curious on hot racing steering blocks for kraton v5 big differance of not worth it?
IMHO, the main advantage of the HR hubs is that the inner bearings are oversized so they last way much longer. Yet many guys prefer the stock plastic for flexibility. Even some of the hardcore YT bashers.

I don't mind changing out my inner bearings more often, hasn't been a real nuisance, but I agree the stock inners are undersized for these 6S rigs in general. Most agree. The most frequently changed out bearing are those inners for sure. I do buy sets of them in 10 packs. But Alloy hubs are stiff. I cant say they remove slop. I don't know. I remove slop from the stock axle hubs by using diff bearing shims behind the small outer hub bearings. One or two will do it. You need just a tick of side play. (important)
Just my thoughts.
:cool:

I ordered a set of the 7075 vitavon hubs for the price, definitely curious whether they take out any slop. I have yet to break any hubs or pull a ball on my v5 after numerous cartwheels , kind of impressed actually. The hub was the first plastic to break on my v1.

They won't remove any slop tbh but they won't break either. I have them on my rigs and no issues while others crack theirs once or twice per season.

I ordered a set of the 7075 vitavon hubs for the price, definitely curious whether they take out any slop. I have yet to break any hubs or pull a ball on my v5 after numerous cartwheels , kind of impressed actually. The hub was the first plastic to break on my v1.
I find it strange that the current Arrma front hubs don't break as they used to. Maybe they changed the composite plastic . Who knows. I used to pop balls clean out no cracks, and sometimes they would split when popped. Happened frequently back then. Maybe 3-4 years ago. I always thought when the weather is hot out they pop easier? But now that I think of it the stockers seem stronger these days. IDK. Maybe my driving got better. I always stayed with the stock replacements. They are cheap enough. 🤷‍♂️ I would only consider the HR alloy for the larger inner bearings myself.

I find it strange that the current Arrma front hubs don't break as they used to. Maybe they changed the composite plastic . Who knows. I used to pop balls clean out no cracks, and sometimes they would split when popped. Happened frequently back then. Maybe 3-4 years ago. I always thought when the weather is hot out they pop easier? But now that I think of it the stockers seem stronger these days. IDK. Maybe my driving got better. I always stayed with the stock replacements. They are cheap enough. 🤷‍♂️ I would only consider the HR alloy for the larger inner bearings myself.
I'm with ya, hubs used to suck more a while back. Maybe they did change something.

My opinion for the OP:
As far as aluminum hubs, for the $'s, and how often the currents break, absolutely not worth it. Personally I can recondition the stock bearings over and over before I toss them. So I don't even see that as an advantage. I've had aluminum ones on my Maxx and E-Revo. It would have been better spent elsewhere.

^^^ @nomis38, Makes sense to me also. I always get at least one or two good refreshes( clean/lube) out of a set of bearings, then I have bulk on hand. Bulk is cheaper. I buy bearings cheaper and only the ones trashed most frequently. The inner 15x24x5mm bearings on the HR hubs are not easy enough to find compared to the stock size. I looked into this as I also considered HR a while ago. Just stayed stock hubs and invested in bulk bearings. Money best spent elsewhere on all my 6S rigs IMHO. You can literally slam these rigs with hundreds of dollars of alloy. Most is just bling and not needed. I am slow to adopt and drive as is and buy what I need. And some are absolutely needed, just not all that is out there.

Edit:
I thought I saw that RPM made a nylon hub with an oversized inner bearing also. Quite a while back. I don't see it anymore. I only recall that it was too flexible? If I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back