Hota D6+ Owners

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechDad

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Senton 6s
(1) Balance mode shows no timer movement,charge shows timer movement. Should I use charge or balance mode?
(2) What are you using for a DC power supply?

Last edited:
1. Balancing only balances the cells at whatever level they are and until they are done, no timer needed. There is a safety timer limit but not shown.
No, I never use the balancing function, useless imho. Storage and normal charge will balance the cells anyway.

2. 99% of my use is on AC. I use a DIY supply, but you would need some electrical experience for wiring.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0786LMNR2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1. Balancing only balances the cells at whatever level they are and until they are done, no timer needed. There is a safety timer limit but not shown.
No, I never use the balancing function, useless imho. Storage and normal charge will balance the cells anyway.

2. 99% of my use is on AC. I use a DIY supply, but you would need some electrical experience for wiring.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0786LMNR2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So just use Charge and it be done with it? I thought I read somewhere that it will auto balance after charge anyways.
I saw some posts for taking two power supplies( HP I think) and making one big one. I'm always messing with stuff like that,so it wouldn't be a big deal. Notice a big difference in charge times between ac and dc?

So just use Charge and it be done with it? I thought I read somewhere that it will auto balance after charge anyways.
I saw some posts for taking two power supplies( HP I think) and making one big one. I'm always messing with stuff like that,so it wouldn't be a big deal. Notice a big difference in charge times between ac and dc?
Use normal charge mode and when the screen turns blue (from yellow first... then to green... then to blue (I think these are the colors)) and starts beeping regularly every minute or so, it will be balanced.

No, there is no difference in charge time as I always charge at 1C rate i.e. gain is nothing ;)

If you go higher in charge rate you decrease charge time but lipo's have a shorter life. I guess you could go up to 2C and charge time would go from ~ 50 min down to 30min. I'm not in a rush where 20min makes a difference. You could charge batteries in parallel i.e. more batteries, that is where a time benefit would come in handy as you have more power available.

You will notice that at the end of the charge cycle the 'Amps' will go down and will be fluctuating, that is the balancing.
--
All chargers will balance the pack at storage level or at full charge level. Has been the default for a while.
Extra balancing will make you feel better but does nothing from a technical viewpoint. Some chargers have a 'balancing' mode, mainly because people are looking for it based on limited knowledge i.e. 'balancing is good' and are looking for this buzzword.
Not trying to make you feel bad, this is a clever marketing trick based on some truth. I learned as well, just some time ago.

Balancing mode makes sense if you do not want to complete a specific mode i.e. full charge. Still takes longer than finishing and I never understood that logic myself.

Historically with rough timeline based on my own memory.
The early Lipo chargers just shut off at a specific voltage (208?) just like NiMH chargers.
2009 - external balancer's came around when people discovered the disadvantages of unbalanced packs under load
2010 - chargers added this as a 'balance mode'
2012 - balancing became a part of the standard charge cycle
- fast forward to 2020 - old SW code is copied and people will not buy a charger unless they have a balance mode

Don't hold me to those dates, I'm probably way off but the technology evolution is spot on.

No, there is no difference in charge time as I always charge at 1C rate i.e. gain is nothing ;)

If you go higher in charge rate you decrease charge time but lipo's have a shorter life. I guess you could go up to 2C and charge time would go from ~ 50 min down to 30min. I'm not in a rush where 20min makes a difference. You could charge batteries in parallel i.e. more batteries, that is where a time benefit would come in handy as you have more power available.

You will notice that at the end of the charge cycle the 'Amps' will go down and will be fluctuating, that is the balancing.
--
All chargers will balance the pack at storage level or at full charge level. Has been the default for a while.
Extra balancing will make you feel better but does nothing from a technical viewpoint. Some chargers have a 'balancing' mode, mainly because people are looking for it based on limited knowledge i.e. 'balancing is good' and are looking for this buzzword.
Not trying to make you feel bad, this is a clever marketing trick based on some truth. I learned as well, just some time ago.

Balancing mode makes sense if you do not want to complete a specific mode i.e. full charge. Still takes longer than finishing and I never understood that logic myself.

Historically with rough timeline based on my own memory.
The early Lipo chargers just shut off at a specific voltage (208?) just like NiMH chargers.
2009 - external balancer's came around when people discovered the disadvantages of unbalanced packs under load
2010 - chargers added this as a 'balance mode'
2012 - balancing became a part of the standard charge cycle
- fast forward to 2020 - old SW code is copied and people will not buy a charger unless they have a balance mode

Don't hold me to those dates, I'm probably way off but the technology evolution is spot on.
Yes,I Charge at 1c also.

Yes,I Charge at 1c also.
If you can charge your current lipo's at 1c i wouldn't bother for a dc psu. If you need more watts you could.

My maximum charge need is 4x 5000mAh 6s at 1c. For that i use 2 Hota's D6 Dual and 1 HP 12v 750watt 60amp psu which is sufficient.
To max out the chargers i would need a 24v psu (or double 12v), but there's no need for it.

If you can charge your current lipo's at 1c i wouldn't bother for a dc psu. If you need more watts you could.

My maximum charge need is 4x 5000mAh 6s at 1c. For that i use 2 Hota's D6 Dual and 1 HP 12v 750watt 60amp psu which is sufficient.
To max out the chargers i would need a 24v psu (or double 12v), but there's no need for it.

I've considered a 24v power supply so I can charge multiple 6s packs on a balance board. What I've come to realize though is that I rarely need more than two charged packs in the amount of time it takes to charge them. I can wait a couple hours to have four packs if I need em. I do have an inverter in case I want to charge on the road from my vehicle but have used it once only.

I also mostly charge at 1c but sometime 1.5 c when I get home late and want to run before dark. Less than five times I've charged at 2 c.

Just because I updated firmware again as it's now at 1.0.11. No idea what changed but was curious if I can repeat my update success. Spoiler: No idea what has changed, yes it works.

Steps for a successful upgrade:
1. Download firmware, pick the right one
http://www.hota-exp.com/index.php/service_l_2.html
2. Rename the file, add a .zip as the extension. File is now recognized by windows
3. , Right click and 'extract' make sure you know the location (or doubleclick)
4. Three files inside, the executable (HTLoader), the firmware (D6+ V1.0.11.prg) and the instructions
4a. Read the instructions and try not to smile, I copied them at the bottom
5. Get your charger but DO NOT plug it in
6. connect a USB cable from your PC/Laptop to the back of the D6+
--Still not plugged into power--
7. Start the executable (HTLoader) and it will start up
8. in the software, use 'Open' and open the firmware file

You have ~ 5s for the next 2 steps, simple but be aware
9. hold the 'CH' button on the charger and plug it in; the charger will beep
10. release CH button and click 'Update' in the firmware loader

11. Let it finish programming ~ 30s
Done.
You can disconnect and cycle power and use it again. If you had any custom settings under the system menu (hold CH and OK for 3 s) I'd check them again.

Hota instructions:
  1. First download the new firmware from our website to your PC and install it,
  2. then open the software update tools ; link the charger to your PC through USB string ,
  3. turn on the power of the charger , and listen to the "bibi" sound ; click "update " before those "bibi" sounds stop and try it

Just because I updated firmware again as it's now at 1.0.11. No idea what changed but was curious if I can repeat my update success. Spoiler: No idea what has changed, yes it works.

Steps for a successful upgrade:
1. Download firmware, pick the right one
http://www.hota-exp.com/index.php/service_l_2.html
2. Rename the file, add a .zip as the extension. File is now recognized by windows
3. , Right click and 'extract' make sure you know the location (or doubleclick)
4. Three files inside, the executable (HTLoader), the firmware (D6+ V1.0.11.prg) and the instructions
4a. Read the instructions and try not to smile, I copied them at the bottom
5. Get your charger but DO NOT plug it in
6. connect a USB cable from your PC/Laptop to the back of the D6+
--Still not plugged into power--
7. Start the executable (HTLoader) and it will start up
8. in the software, use 'Open' and open the firmware file

You have ~ 5s for the next 2 steps, simple but be aware
9. hold the 'CH' button on the charger and plug it in; the charger will beep
10. release CH button and click 'Update' in the firmware loader

11. Let it finish programming ~ 30s
Done.
You can disconnect and cycle power and use it again. If you had any custom settings under the system menu (hold CH and OK for 3 s) I'd check them again.

Hota instructions:
  1. First download the new firmware from our website to your PC and install it,
  2. then open the software update tools ; link the charger to your PC through USB string ,
  3. turn on the power of the charger , and listen to the "bibi" sound ; click "update " before those "bibi" sounds stop and try it
With your detail, I'll have to go ahead and do it. I'm always scaredy to update firmware on stuff like this (no easy contact, service, language barrier potential) but I guess I can give it a rip.
Excellent details and very helpful. I bookmarked for myself and to share in the future. Thanks for taking your time. ?

i love my hota d6 + charger best buy ? how many volts do you charge the batteries with ... what is the best voltage? i try on 10V and oh mine was charged quickly ... is this even recommended for charging at such a high voltage? I using 5000 mah 50c lipo. @jkflow thank you for that infos ?

I believe you mean charge current. For a 5000mAh battery you should charge at 5A, not 10A.

m=milli=1/1000
The way to determine, capacity 5000mA/1000 = 5A

Some batteries can take 2x (10A), 3 or 4x the standard rate, it will reduce life if they are not capable.

I believe you mean charge current. For a 5000mAh battery you should charge at 5A, not 10A.

m=milli=1/1000
The way to determine, capacity 5000mA/1000 = 5A

Some batteries can take 2x (10A), 3 or 4x the standard rate, it will reduce life if they are not capable.
sorry yes A...ok, only once i was trying on 10A
I hope I didn't do too much damage ?
So on 5A is normal for that battery which i have? I don't need to go lower than like 2A? what about storage on 1A or i can go higher?

Last edited:
No 5A is fine, the 'standard' charge rate for any Lipo is '1C' which is capacity/hours = 5000mAh/h = 5000mA; the 'm' is used for marketing and confuse people with metric stuff ;) 1m =1/1000

Charging your Lipo at 10A (2C), just once, didn't do any noticeable damage. Your Lipo might even be capable of this without damage, just not recommended.

Always take the advertised capacity and divide by 1000, that is the 'Amp' setting you should use.

No 5A is fine, the 'standard' charge rate for any Lipo is '1C' which is capacity/hours = 5000mAh/h = 5000mA; the 'm' is used for marketing and confuse people with metric stuff ;) 1m =1/1000

Charging your Lipo at 10A (2C), just once, didn't do any noticeable damage. Your Lipo might even be capable of this without damage, just not recommended.

Always take the advertised capacity and divide by 1000, that is the 'Amp' setting you should use.
thanks for your explanation ? i would just like to know the storage mode program... today i put the battery on the storage mode setting which is 3.80 per cell ... and it took almost 2 hours to finish ? can i set in storage mode also 5A? or maybe I don't use the storage function, just normally charge up to 3.80 per cell and then interrupt the charging process, because if that means you reach storage mode this way, it's much faster ?

thanks for your explanation ? i would just like to know the storage mode program... today i put the battery on the storage mode setting which is 3.80 per cell ... and it took almost 2 hours to finish ? can i set in storage mode also 5A? or maybe I don't use the storage function, just normally charge up to 3.80 per cell and then interrupt the charging process, because if that means you reach storage mode this way, it's much faster ?

We’re the battery fully charged when you did storage mode?

If that’s the case, the charger would have to discharge it first which would take very long because most charger can only discharge at a certain watts. I think the Hota is capable of either 15 or 30 watts which isn’t a lot. Don’t quote me on that.

a separate discharger would make it faster or just use up all your battery with your rc then do storage charge after that

Yes, set the current to the same value that you would use for normal charging. Should be done in ~ 20-30 min.

Discharging is done in a different mode and it's limted to 18W, unless you connect external load resistors.

We’re the battery fully charged when you did storage mode?

If that’s the case, the charger would have to discharge it first which would take very long because most charger can only discharge at a certain watts. I think the Hota is capable of either 15 or 30 watts which isn’t a lot. Don’t quote me on that.

a separate discharger would make it faster or just use up all your battery with your rc then do storage charge after that
@Knxwledge no this time they were empty...in the settings I chose storage charge at 1A, it took a long time, almost as long as the discharge ... it filled them up to 3.80 ?

thank you for your help, now I better understand all this together.

For all settings, use the '1C' value that is right for your battery. 1C for a 5000mAh = 5000/1000 = 5A (for ~1h,, in case anyone is wondering what happens to the 'h' in the equation). That is for storage, charging, balancing etc.

The h(hour) would be applicable from completely empty to 100% full, which you will never be doing.

To storage ~ 30 min incl. balance, another 45-60 min to full, times are impacted by balancing. If it's over an hour your battery is going bad.

H all, right help please. Just got my Hota D6-Pro and not having much luck with Channel 1, Channel 2 charges and balances fine. All I get on channel 1 is -Current operation is not supported in a yellow screen. Both channel 1+2 are mirrored and I have used the same leads on both sides to be sure. I tried a factory reset, I have run the test in the menu, the only strange thing is when I return to the main screen after a system self-chcking channel 1 takes up to 20 seconds to return to 0.00v where as channel 2 returnes to 0 in no time. Its from Bangood and they are not replying to my Emails Grrrrr. Any Ideas You amazing Peeps ...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back