Kraton Hottest v4 motor temp?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's pretty hot. I've seen those temps running through grass with a 16t pinion. What size pinion are you running?

What would u say is to hot?
Anything 180+ is really to hot. High temps can ruin your magnets. It's been really hot outside here and I get 180 easy on different rigs. If I get that hot or above I let it cool down before running again.

A month after getting new V4 Kraton 6S (April) I decided to push the envelope with Trencher Xs, 14T pinion, off road (baseball field) full throttle passes and aged stock diff oil. I measured temp after a few seconds following LVC and hit 210F, so may have hit 220F. ?

Damage:
The center diff shoes melted into the internal sidewalls of the diff cup. Running same motor and ESC today(y)

Solution:
Changed diff fluids, went back to 12T, Dboot Copperheads, and added YR motor fans. Temps haven't gotten above 130F while running in 90F-ish ambient on any surface doing full throttle runs and bashing.

The trenchers:
Mainly sit on the shelf as expensive rig stand. Put on sons Outcast while running 4S and had no temp issues.

Lesson learned:
When making changes to your rig, that add weight or higher pinion gear, one should monitor temps closely initially until you get an idea of the affects on motor and ESC. I've found Arrma to be very tough rigs, but they're not invincible. A little maintenance and user common sense can avoid damage to parts.
Also, I found the only real benefit of the Trencher Xs is the aggressive look. IMO, it adds too much weight and stress to the servo and power system. My son even noticed that he couldn't get as much air and had harder time controlling when it was airborne while running the Trenchers.

I have been stoping when I get to the 180 degree
On 14 tooth pinion
Didn't get as hot on 4s, top was 160.
200,000 fluid in center and stock f/r

The 2018 outcast runs the same electronics as the current stuff. I ran 4S at first, got up to 180F on the motor running in grass. Added a heat sink/fan, got it to stay down in the 160's. I don't think I've checked it since I started running 6S... or at least haven't checked it in a while. Guess I really should. lol!

Running 6S, stock motor/esc, trencher 3.8's wrapped with kevlar string, 13/50 gearing, 100/300/100 oils in the diffs, HW heat sink/fan on the motor.

I have a temp gun, but don't usually carry it, so like a doctor I just stick a finger up the fender & if I can hold it there without going ? then I'm ok. If it feels a little iffy I switch on my YR fan pointed right at the back of the can, and let her idle for a min or two. Amazing how much air a YR fan can move on a Castle BEC set to 7.4.?

The Trenchers are a beast of a tire! They have insane grip and are one of the best. They may put more stress on the driveline, generate more hea and strip hexes but they sure are fun to drive. I can't help it I'm a tire guy! I just ordered Duratrax Hatchets cause I like the way they look. These bigger style tires I usually only run in cool or cold weather, especially snow. I was running the dboots sand scorpions on the kraton in the summer and I liked them but they did not do good in the snow. So far the trenchers are the king of snow and slippery terrain. I cant wait to see how the hatchets perform! Yes I will be plugging the wheels, balancing, and venting the outside of the tires. If they balloon as bad as I think they will then I will tape them.

The Trenchers are a beast of a tire! They have insane grip and are one of the best. They may put more stress on the driveline, generate more hea and strip hexes but they sure are fun to drive. I can't help it I'm a tire guy! I just ordered Duratrax Hatchets cause I like the way they look. These bigger style tires I usually only run in cool or cold weather, especially snow. I was running the dboots sand scorpions on the kraton in the summer and I liked them but they did not do good in the snow. So far the trenchers are the king of snow and slippery terrain. I cant wait to see how the hatchets perform! Yes I will be plugging the wheels, balancing, and venting the outside of the tires. If they balloon as bad as I think they will then I will tape them.
If they are anything like the 2.8 hatchets, the rubber compound is soft and grabby and the foams are crap and will go flat after a few sessions. I ran those on my eJato for a while. It now has 2.8" trenchers like my stampede 4x4.

I also like the trenchers. :)

They are Duratrax "sport compound". It was hard to get information on Duratrax tires other than tid-bits here and there. Duratrax lists different compounds for their tires but none of them are available. I am hoping they improved the compound and they are more like the belted six pack and hatchet tires for the Xmaxx. If not I guess I'm ....out of luck!

I was about to sell my MX38s, but didn't think of winter "surface" bashing. When it's too cold for big air. Nice. My Backflips are about toast from too much neighborhood street bashing. I will get another set for next season for sure. ?

I have a set of the 2.8 Belted Trenchers and they have way less grip than my MX28 Badlands. They don’t allow me to flip my Kraton either. Too hard for landing big jumps too. I would recommend the MX28s 100 times before the Trenchers.

I have a set of the 2.8 Belted Trenchers and they have way less grip than my MX28 Badlands. They don’t allow me to flip my Kraton either. Too hard for landing big jumps too. I would recommend the MX28s 100 times before the Trenchers.
The MX28s have been on my list for a while. I bet they dominate in the snow!

The MX28s have been on my list for a while. I bet they dominate in the snow!
I have yet to find a surface they don’t dominate in. Best tires I’ve owned to date.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back