Kraton How best to get at pinion gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmanw54

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I can't seem to get a clear answer on this. How are you guys getting at your pinion gear for adjustments/replacements/etc???

do you guys remove the esc and get at it that way or just leave everything as is and put a wrench in there.

any information would be great. thank you!

ehm...a itibity more information would be nice...although I am a man of many talents...mind reading isn't one of them...:p
so, what gorgeous Arrma RC car are we talking about?...;)

Groetjes,

Erik

ps. Doesn't your manual give you a hint in how to get to your gears?...

Hi

If I am not mistaken, you have the two adjustment screws that hold the motor in place, and the set screw that holds the pinion gear onto the motor shaft. As far as I can see those are the only adjustments you have of the pinion gear.

it's the kraton. i can barely get a wrench in there to get at the motor screws so just thought i'd ask you guys if you had any easier ways of getting at it. the manual isn't really any help

I don't own one...But looks to me that when you take of the roll-cage off and disconnect the engine you can acces the gears...?...o_O
But I can see this could be some nice finger splitting thing to do...:confused:

Aflan...exactly! Maybe i just need better tools but i did split open two knuckles trying to adjust the pinion.

Hi

It looks like removing the ESC will give you more working room.

Who makes the best pinion gears? I hear there are certain makers that have a better cut for a better mesh?

I second both RR hardened and Novak, currently running both in my rigs, word on the street was Novak went OOB. Not positive, but LHS buddy told me that a few weeks back. This is my preferred gear.
IMG_20170102_203911048.jpg

I second both RR hardened and Novak, currently running both in my rigs, word on the street was Novak went OOB. Not positive, but LHS buddy told me that a few weeks back. This is my preferred gear.View attachment 5012
if i put this 16t in my Kraton what other changes would i have to make to my truck? do they sell one that is 12t or even 14t thanks for the reply. if you have any product numbers that would be great. i am NOOB

if i put this 16t in my Kraton what other changes would i have to make to my truck? do they sell one that is 12t or even 14t thanks for the reply. if you have any product numbers that would be great. i am NOOB
They sell a wide range of pinion gears for these rigs. I would recommend the 16 for more speed personally. No other changes necessary, other than getting your gear mesh set. Part number is on the picture, 1216 Robinson Racing. Any brand Mod 1 gear with 5mm shaft size should work, I prefer this one for durability. Just get a temp gun to check motor and ESC temps. The temps generally increase with each size up on pinion. Stay under 150-160F tops to be safe, probably less than that for ESC.

If,it is like the Outcast 5 screws drop the whole engine, center Diff, roll cage assembly. It is very simple from there to change pinion and mesh. Just finished putting 16 in and it took about 10 minutes. Used a hair dryer to free grub screws and pinion. Hope it is similar and this helps

I am currently using an Arrma 17T pinion, but also not using the stock motor. Running a Tenshock motor. I haven't had any issues with the Arrma gear.
As far as adjustment, I just pull the 5 screws out from the bottom and pull the whole assembly out. Easier than hunting for my Allen's that came with the truck. Lol.

I am currently using an Arrma 17T pinion, but also not using the stock motor. Running a Tenshock motor. I haven't had any issues with the Arrma gear.
As far as adjustment, I just pull the 5 screws out from the bottom and pull the whole assembly out. Easier than hunting for my Allen's that came with the truck. Lol.
To me that's the only way to do it best and set things to your liking.

Yeah. I haven't had an issue. Put some locktite on the motor screws and it should be fine. The pinion can be checked while it's in the truck.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back