Kraton How best to get at pinion gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am currently using an Arrma 17T pinion, but also not using the stock motor. Running a Tenshock motor. I haven't had any issues with the Arrma gear.
As far as adjustment, I just pull the 5 screws out from the bottom and pull the whole assembly out. Easier than hunting for my Allen's that came with the truck. Lol.

winner winner.

Also, don't forget that the three screws into the motor mount (under the chassis) are thread locked, heat them before trying to torque them off.

They sell a wide range of pinion gears for these rigs. I would recommend the 16 for more speed personally. No other changes necessary, other than getting your gear mesh set. Part number is on the picture, 1216 Robinson Racing. Any brand Mod 1 gear with 5mm shaft size should work, I prefer this one for durability. Just get a temp gun to check motor and ESC temps. The temps generally increase with each size up on pinion. Stay under 150-160F tops to be safe, probably less than that for ESC.
Would one of those dual fans help with the temps on the Motor? I put my 14t in and after watching numerous you tube vids on how to mesh i went with feeling and sound not the paper lol. anyhow my mesh came out great , i had brought some blue loc from advanced auto and it was watery and the grub backed out when i was running it the next day after the run i put the truck up and then went to run it some more and dropped it down and pressed the trigger and nothing luckily it move away from the spur. gonna get a blue loc stick forget the tube they are garbage.

Would one of those dual fans help with the temps on the Motor? I put my 14t in and after watching numerous you tube vids on how to mesh i went with feeling and sound not the paper lol. anyhow my mesh came out great , i had brought some blue loc from advanced auto and it was watery and the grub backed out when i was running it the next day after the run i put the truck up and then went to run it some more and dropped it down and pressed the trigger and nothing luckily it move away from the spur. gonna get a blue loc stick forget the tube they are garbage.
I recently stopped using Permatex blue gel locker due to short holding life. I'd get 5-7 bashes in and then disappointment, pinion would spin free. Went back to Loctite brand blue 242. I always shake it really well and cover threads entirely. I'd recommend cleaning grub screw and pinion hole with brake cleaner and tooth brush first just for good adhesion. My input cups have also popped loose. I'm now putting a drop in cup grub hole and on grub, so long as to not get locker on or near little input bearings. Some use a dab of red locker. I'm sticking to blue for now. Not all lockers are created equally. PS, I always set my mesh by feel, sight, and sound also, with motor and diff in hand.

Last edited:
I recently stopped using Permatex blue gel locker due to short holding life. I'd get 5-7 bashes in and then disappointment, pinion would spin free. Went back to Loctite brand blue 242. I always shake it really well and cover threads entirely. I'd recommend cleaning grub screw and pinion hole with brake cleaner and tooth brush first just for good adhesion. My input cups have also popped loose. I'm now putting a drop in cup grub hole and on grub, so long as to not get locker on or near little input bearings. Some use a dab of red locker. I'm sticking to blue for now. Not all lockers are created equally. PS, I always set my mesh by feel, sight, and sound also, with motor and diff in hand.
About the Yeah racing cooling fan and motor temps what do you think? will it help with temps when i switch to the 16t pinion ?

About the Yeah racing cooling fan and motor temps what do you think? will it help with temps when i switch to the 16t pinion ?
I've heard those are great fan/heat sink
I've heard they work great. I prefer to run fanless myself. Haven't needed it yet running 16 pinion, we'll see come summer time. I just check my temps periodically, especially with lots of fast/hard bashing with pocket temp pens. Haven't passed 140s motor, 110-130F ESC. I know they don't weigh much, but prefer to stay as lean as possible with lighter packs and minimal extras or add ons. That in itself helps keep temps down with less motor strain.

I've heard those are great fan/heat sink

I've heard they work great. I prefer to run fanless myself. Haven't needed it yet running 16 pinion, we'll see come summer time. I just check my temps periodically, especially with lots of fast/hard bashing with pocket temp pens. Haven't passed 140s motor, 110-130F ESC. I know they don't weigh much, but prefer to stay as lean as possible with lighter packs and minimal extras or add ons. That in itself helps keep temps down with less motor strain.
Thanks for the reply i have to get me one of those pocket temp pens and maybe order a yeah racing dual cooler for the summer.

I am currently using an Arrma 17T pinion, but also not using the stock motor. Running a Tenshock motor. I haven't had any issues with the Arrma gear.
As far as adjustment, I just pull the 5 screws out from the bottom and pull the whole assembly out. Easier than hunting for my Allen's that came with the truck. Lol.
I second that, pull the whole assembly out! Really easy to do...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back