How can you drive an RC like this ??? WTH

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My steering control is smooth but I do tap the throttle on and off quickly to kick the rear end out sometimes. I think it all comes down to the vehicle type, and driving style. Some things will work for other people that won't work so good for you and vice versa.

If you have a fast servo - doing that is gonna make the car really unstable after a turn because there wheel doesn’t just snap back to centre - it bounces and creates a really fast left/right ‘twitch’. Put your car on a stand and try it - you’ll see what I mean!
I guess it doesn’t matter for bashing - but racing - this would be a problem!
Good point. What makes a great servo for one application can make it bad for another, like a lot of things in RC
My steering control is smooth but I do tap the throttle on and off quickly to kick the rear end out sometimes. I think it all comes down to the vehicle type, and driving style. Some things will work for other people that won't work so good for you and vice versa.
I do the same to get the back end out sometimes, that's different from driving choppy and sloppy as I call it lol

Last edited:
I never let go of my RC steering wheel, but in a real car i do let it auto center as well.

At FPV flying, with a stick radio's there is also this weird thing. A long debate if it's better to use the tumb on the stick-end or to pinch the stick with 2 fingers. (or some hybrid versions) I learned both and prefer the second. Whiles pinching i also let go of the stick to autocenter quite often, whiles thumb-ing it's not wise to do. It's a preference i guess

I never let go of my RC steering wheel, but in a real car i do let it auto center as well.

At FPV flying, with a stick radio's there is also this weird thing. A long debate if it's better to use the tumb on the stick-end or to pinch the stick with 2 fingers. (or some hybrid versions) I learned both and prefer the second. Whiles pinching i also let go of the stick to autocenter quite often, whiles thumb-ing it's not wise to do. It's a preference i guess
Back in my drone flying days it was always thumbs on sticks for me, the sticks were big and had deep serrated edges so I could maneuver quicker like that, with more precise control versus pinching the sticks with two fingers. I would say what's better largely depends on the style of transmitter

The thing I think is funny is when people drive RC by chopping the throttle on and off repeatedly. I guess its fun to drive this way in the dirt, but for me I drive RC cars as if I was sitting in the car myself, smooth throttle control is everything. That's one reason why I like speedruns, where a progressive, smooth trigger pull gets you significantly more mph as opposed to just dumping the throttle. Sorry for thread jack, this was about steering not throttle control
I too see a lot of youtubers flick the throttle 100times even when driving in a straight line. This really ticks my OCD and makes me stop watching that video. I a turn I kind of get it......sometimes...

I like driving on ice, really allows you to get control of the steering and throttle, or forces you rather. Nothing like turning the Noto into a drift machine, without drift tires or setup.

You wont see it much if at all on a confined track. It's just not practical to Race drive that way.
But honestly, there is nothing wrong with flicking the St wheel in a wide open area. And mine are very short travel flicks of the wheel at times. Did you ever notice your Steering on the bench how the servo responds, If you flick the wheel, the response is fluid most of the time with a short travel flick of the wheel. The servo takes over when you let the wheel go. Take it a step further and you can dial ST EXPo and its speed if your radio is equipped as such. If you dial out needless dual rate and dial in the other parameters, wheel flicking works for you. I don't think there is any right or wrong way , Once you have a lot of wheel time under your belt , you do what works for you and keeps you in control.. We all drive different. :cool:
I too see a lot of youtubers flick the throttle 100times even when driving in a straight line. This really ticks my OCD and makes me stop watching that video. I a turn I kind of get it......sometimes...
I could say the same about guys who operate their Radio wheel like they are driving a real car. Cant I?
Maybe my RC'ing for more than 35 years makes me not concerned about how others drive. Or how odd it appears. Or even self conscious how I drive. I just do it and it works for me. I see newer guys to he hobby stare at my Radio as I drive ask me and wonder. I can drive fast over football fields, with alot of turning. My big air time gets wheel flicks for directional control. IDK.:cool:

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back