How did you find out about the amazing hobby of RC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rip King MC

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
Please share your stories of how you found out about RC.

here’s mine: One stormy night, I was watching NHRA drag racing on the TV and all of a sudden, right before a commercial break, out of nowhere came a Tr*xxas Slash and it sailed through the air! The craze began. THE END

My buddys and I saw them at a local hobby shop when we were kids. Got rid of them in my late teens/ early 20’s. They were old and slow ha. A few years ago my son joined a 4H rc club. He sparked my interests again. These new brushless cars are way better than what I had. Now I’m hooked.... just need more funds haha

We were at the Mackinac Bridge for Fort Fright a couple years ago and our sone wanted to stop in a local hobby shop in St. Ignace for parts for his crawler.
Game on after that.
We left the hobby shop that day with 6 vehicles between the wife, the daughter and myself.

My uncle has always been a rc enthusiast, but he has kids now and doesn’t have the time for it, but he still has his little workshop and his cars. He showed me his traxxas summit that has a brushless motor and seeing that thing zoom was like holy crap that’s cool. Then his brother showed me his 1/5 losi, things a tank. For my birthday they built a slash for me. It had a castle 1800kv motor and hpi esc. It was a good starter. Then got an e revo 2.0, threw the slash to the side for then. Dumped a lot of money into the e revo and it kept breaking, sold it on e bay since it wasn’t a reliable badger. Fully rebuilt the slash into a monster slash, wasnt as reliable as I liked. Bought a talion, no regrets.

one day i was visiting a friend and he surprised me that he bought a nitro rc buggy 1/8 ... i was thrilled with it but i didn't like how much time it takes before you warm up the car properly and add gas ... i told my wife that I have wanted a rc car for a long time ... it was quite a few years ago more than 20 years ago when I really wanted this rc car ?
I was looking for days and days what to buy and finally I bought a brushless buggy 1/10 nothing special if I look now, but for a start it was more than good ? well then I met arrma cars ? now I have 3 arrma cars
20200719_000320.jpg

Last winter I started seeing the odd RC jumping video on my YouTube feed.....thought “holy shyte how are these guys doing this”......that led to further rabbit hole research.
April of this year decided to plunge in with a stampede 4x4 just to dip my toe in to see if I dug it. I did.

Quickly realized the stampede was flaccid, slow, and didn’t like terrain......I needed something that would handle “real world physics”, then I discovered the K8S.......addictive hobby for sure.

cheers,
kev

I liked RCs as a kid. Toy grade, obviously. Had a nice Nikko/Tronico buggy, some 20-25 years ago.

5 years ago I got a 50$ toy for my nephew, saw that it was utter crap, and started researching some more serious stuff. And here I am today, a couple thousand Euros later... ?‍♂️

one day i was visiting a friend and he surprised me that he bought a nitro rc buggy 1/8 ... i was thrilled with it but i didn't like how much time it takes before you warm up the car properly and add gas ... i told my wife that I have wanted a rc car for a long time ... it was quite a few years ago more than 20 years ago when I really wanted this rc car ?
I was looking for days and days what to buy and finally I bought a brushless buggy 1/10 nothing special if I look now, but for a start it was more than good ? well then I met arrma cars ? now I have 3 arrma cars
View attachment 90684
what kraton is that?
when i was about 6s my dad got me a brand of some slow knock off slash he of course got a brushless rc10. he then sold them both and i wanted a nitro. i saved up and never got a nitro 4to 5 years later i am who i am am now.

Last edited:
what kraton is that?
when i was about 6s my dad got me a brand of some slow knock off slash he of course got a brushless rc10. he then sold them both and i wanted a nitro. i saved up and never got a nitro 4to 5 years later i am who i am am now.
K6s v4 ?

Unfortunately may brother passed away and inherited a box of traxxas parts that made its way into a v1 erevo, Many you tube videos later. I was sick of fixing the damn thing and got an outcast and now 11 cars deep?

Friend had a Radio Shack 10 scale MT. Nimh and slow but pretty tough hitting curbs in parking lot. I got one and another 4 or so guys got one. We would parking lot bash them all at once, believe or not it was fun on our beer nights weekend bash. That was Pandora's box for me, RC for life!! ??

About twenty years ago, at age 15.. I had this neighbour who ran huge RC semi trucks though the streets, one day he was hauling a brushed 1/10 tamiya touring car on the back of it.. Wich was his sons..
After seein that thing rip around the streets.. I needed one.. But didnt like the speed, run and charge times, so i bought a nitro at age 16.. Had 4 years of great fun.. Ripping, breakin, fixing.. Repeat

About 2 years ago some of the Arrma fans on YT "forced" me into a arrma.. V3 Typhon, OC and now waiting for the Kraton EXB..

For me I had been always into rc as a kid with my little Tyco's and that. I found a hobby shop in a large mall when I was like 11 and started reading RC Car Action when I could. I ended up saving my money up for a year and bought a Tamiya Wild Dagger. A futaba stick radio. I painted it with the help of my dad to match the box, I eventually destroyed it by modding the hell out of it. I wish I would kept it. As a young teen I had a HPI Savage X. Kind of left RC in he dust for years threw teen years and until about 22 I got a Traxxas Summit an was blown away. I soon bought a HPI Baja 5SC and was hooked. Again kind of left hobby until I got my Arrma Talion V2! My first Arrma. Ever since I've been steady into it now.

A couple of months ago when I saw someone with a RC trying to conquer the track for 1:1 scale ( :)) 4x4's we I regularly come (walking). Got stuck after a few meters, but nonetheless I was sold.

View attachment 90684
The Tyco Rebound was actually my first rc car lol

12 years ago my best friend asked me to come try out a OG traxxas rustler he had. I crashed it into a pallet and snapped his chassis in half. Well we went to the LHS and i purchased a replacement chassis for him. While there i inquired about the cost of getting one myself. Was talked into buying a VXL model because it was newer, faster technology. Well the next day he upgraded his rustler to brushless. We ran those trucks constantly. Awesome time. My buddy died in a car accident shortly after and I never really used RC for a couple years. (it was our thing). When i got back in i got back in heavy, now i've got 12 or 13 rigs.

In the mid 80's I was tormented by a TV commercial from Uncle Pete's Toys. The add showed a Hornet, Frog and Hotshot driving on sand. I did everything I could to get one, but couldn't get enough $$ to buy one ($250 back then, plus battery and charger). I ended up getting a few department store RC cars over the years that ran on C cell batteries and were firmly in the toy category. No spare parts, pretty poor performance etc etc. They didn't last long.

When I was in my early 20's I walked past the local hobby shop and saw a Super Hornet, that put me on the slippery slope of RC cars... up to 32 now. Fittingly the last one purchased was an Outcast 6S. (y)

About 50 yrs ago i bought a small remote controlled tank. Then a Radio Shack "Jeep" . It used "C" batteries and was slow . About 3 yrs ago my Grand kids got into RC cars. I would go over and watch them run around the yard and go over jumps. My wife suggested I get a RC car and go race with them. I was going to get a Traxxas but thanks to my LHS and watching videos of the Kraton , I ended getting a V3 Kraton. I run 4S so the speed is close to their cars and now we all bash around the yard.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back