Kraton How do I get to the front & rear diffs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

no1zeppelinfan

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 6s
Want to change the front and rear diff oils (Done the centre) What do I undo to get to them? Is it just the screws highlighted? Thanks in advance
2021-09-25 12.53.34.jpg
2021-09-25 12.53.42.jpg

Right, just took the front diff out, it has loads of grease around it, never expected that. Only grease I have is the lithium grease in the picture. Is that ok to use to replace what's
20210926_094748.jpg
on it at the moment?

Can anyone help? Never knew about the grease, All I have is the Lithium grease or normal car grease. Either any good?
I have these as well
20210926_104921.jpg

Last edited:
Used the white Lithium grease in the front and back diffs and not only does it seem thin, but the car also seems a lot noiseier. Ordered some Red and Tacky, Hopefully, that'll help?

Can I ask, "What is the Sway bar and what does it do"? also, car seems a lot louder, Think I've pushed the centre diff down to hard onto the main cog making it too tight? Someone said that's why it may seem a lot louder? Gonna check that in a bit.

As long as you are using any automotive grease that is a NLGI 2 grade. You will be just fine.
Sway bar keeps the car from "swaying". Will need to make sure the diff is shimmed properly. Make a note of every single part that you remove. Take pictures before removal and along the way. It will truly help when you get stuck. A clean table with space to lay out parts. Need a clean rag. and Brake parts cleaner or similar solvent to cean out all old grease and old Silicone diff oil. Hopefully you will have the correct diff Silicone oils on hand!!!!!!
I use 30-60k F/300-500k center/20-30k R. ( standard RTR Open diffs) Do all 3 diffs while you are in there. All parts should be immaculate before rebuilding for best opertation. don't neglect the BBs while you are there whatever you do. Use Brake cleaner and lube them also. Oil or grease (best) them removing the seals if possible.
Again shimming is very important...... Blow up diagram at the ready and the manual has info for removal and maintenance of the diffs like stated above post. Yt videos watched several times will help.
You can do this while watching a video for moral support.:ROFLMAO:
Plenty of help here and many threads about diffs. Just search.

Edited.

Last edited:
Thanks, It's all done now. Just seems noisier than before. The grease I used did seem thin? I'll check the grade of it later. Ordered some red and tacky, so may replace the front and rear. The advice on here has been invaluable.

Did you put that grease inside the diffs? Or on the outside? I use that same white lithium grease on the outside of my diffs too, but your supposed to use silicone diff lube on the inside of the diffs. Like 50k in front, 200k center, and 20k rear. Or the weight of your preference. Everyone has a different preference on diff fluids.
Also, Always ask questions before doing something you’re not sure how to do is my best advice I’ve learned in the rc hobby and on this forum…. Also you can search YouTube or google for almost anything and find information. Use that to your advantage..

Can I ask, "What is the Sway bar and what does it do"? also, car seems a lot louder, Think I've pushed the centre diff down to hard onto the main cog making it too tight? Someone said that's why it may seem a lot louder? Gonna check that in a bit.

Did you remove the motor before taking the center diff out? I'm not sure what you mean by this statement. The noise may be from an improper setting of the gear mesh between the pinion (gear on the motor) and spur (gear on the center diff).

Do keep in mind these rigs are plain noisy. Red n tacky vs lithium should not make an appreciable difference in noise. I'd just make sure there's no binding in the diffs and they are shimmed properly after you set the gear mesh between pinion and spur.

Did you put that grease inside the diffs? Or on the outside? I use that same white lithium grease on the outside of my diffs too, but your supposed to use silicone diff lube on the inside of the diffs. Like 50k in front, 200k center, and 20k rear. Or the weight of your preference. Everyone has a different preference on diff fluids.
Also, Always ask questions before doing something you’re not sure how to do is my best advice I’ve learned in the rc hobby and on this forum…. Also you can search YouTube or google for almost anything and find information. Use that to your advantage..
Lol, Nah on the outside, Put proper diff fluids on the inside. So just the white grease on the outsides of the front and rear. I got loads of advice from here and there are some good youtube videos I did all that before starting.
Did you remove the motor before taking the center diff out? I'm not sure what you mean by this statement. The noise may be from an improper setting of the gear mesh between the pinion (gear on the motor) and spur (gear on the center diff).

Do keep in mind these rigs are plain noisy. Red n tacky vs lithium should not make an appreciable difference in noise. I'd just make sure there's no binding in the diffs and they are shimmed properly after you set the gear mesh between pinion and spur.
I didn't move the motor, none of the diagrams, video or anyone on here mentioned that. Think you are right, like mentioned above "think the mesh is too tight" With the grease I realised after I never put enough grease in anyway. So gonna do that again.

Last edited:
Thanks, It's all done now. Just seems noisier than before. The grease I used did seem thin? I'll check the grade of it later. Ordered some red and tacky, so may replace the front and rear. The advice on here has been invaluable.
Red and Tacky is fine. But the noise you hear may not be grease related. Just me. Shimming may be the issue. It's trial and error. Nothing is perfect. But finding that good enough gear backlash is key. Drive it carefully and examine it well before sending it if that is how you want to fly.

EDITED:
Spur and pinion gear mesh is usually where bad noise comes from. Mesh it correctly. First thing is double check this before doing anything else. Understand that metal-metal spur and pinions do clatter. They have large Mod 1 teeth. Normal. If the mesh is too loose or too tight you will get a different sound. Both have differnt sounds to them. Too tight they whine. Too loose they tend to chatter. Hard to explain better. But with some experience,you can just look at the mesh and even hear when mesh is "Off". You can always send a pix of your gear mesh for us to see. Setting mesh is a "thing". Search for YT videos on this. Easiest to explain it better.
Just my ideas on this.

Last edited:
Red and Tacky is fine. But the noise you hear may not be grease related. Just me. Shimming may be the issue. It's trial and error. Nothing is perfect. But finding that good enough gear backlash is key. Drive it carefully and examine it well before sending it if that is how you want to fly.

EDITED:
Spur and pinion gear mesh is usually where bad noise comes from. Mesh it correctly. First thing is double check this before doing anything else. Understand that metal-metal spur and pinions do clatter. They have large Mod 1 teeth. Normal. If the mesh is too loose or too tight you will get a different sound. Both have differnt sounds to them. Too tight they whine. Too loose they tend to chatter. Hard to explain better. But with some experience,you can just look at the mesh and even hear when mesh is "Off". You can always send a pix of your gear mesh for us to see. Setting mesh is a "thing". Search for YT videos on this. Easiest to explain it better.
Just my ideas on this.
Thanks for that, totally understand what you mean. Will take a pic and go on YouTube now as well. Hope to do it tomorrow. Thanks
This looks like good advice and makes sense?

https://www.google.com/search?q=how...le&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_uUZTYc3GFMfVgQaLoLigCQ13

Your doing good so far. You're on a roll.
There's a slight learning curve with all of this. Help is here.
We all started somewhere. Soon you will do in 15 min, what took you an hour. Trust me.
:cool:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back