How do I know if my charger is bad?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
Hi all

I have the Spektrum S2100 dual charger (2x100W). I recently purchased from a user here a Spektrum S1100 single charger (100W). Keep in mind this is with Spektrum and non-Spektrum batteries....today it's gensacearespammers batteries...

Balance charging.... (one battery at a time I am not using dual-port....using each charger in this test as a single charger)
gensacearespammers 3S 5500mAh 60C
Charge/Storage charge all at: 4A
The storage level is: 3.80v

S2100 charger
3.6v (left in the cells) it storage charge within 10-15min and stops
Normal and what I have seen since it was my only charger for months now

New
S1100 charger
3.6v (left in the cells) it storage charge can run 30-60min (avg 45min)
Then it gets to 3.79v and you can see it working there for the last 40-60 mins of that time above

I have never seen the S2100 do this. It's like the S1100 is really doing a better or real balance of the cells as it works at the 3.79v range for a while.

I could be wrong on all this but the way I see it like the S2100 has been cheating me.

Like to get your thoughts?

Thx

Spektrum is a black box, so you don't really know what it is doing. It's all in the software, and that's a secret.

I agree with your assessment, the balance charge sounds like it is charging to a very tightly-defined value on the S1100.

Storage voltage is really not a fixed value, but a fairly broad range. The S2100 might just be pumping watt-hours at a full 4A charge until it get's in range, then cutting off, recovery voltage be damned.

It's probably fine either way. It's just storage voltage. But for a 4.20v charge, it had better peak-charge that byotch!

Can't speak for the Spektrum chargers but with balancing and discharging there seems to be a gap between chargers that do a much more efficient job at getting the batteries in balance or discharged quicker than others. Don't recall the brand I have not that it matters because it's essentially the same four button charger that all brands have is MUCH slower than my Hota brand to balance.

Thx all....I might go Hitec X2 charger down the road not that it addresses the post...moving away from smart batteries anyway get a more universal charger.

Good feedback...thx

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back