How do I paint a RC rim and/or remove tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
Below is a 12mm rim that I want to spray paint a gunmetal dark/black color.

They are pre-mounted and glued when purchased so my thought was:
  1. Tape off the side-wall of the tires
  2. Get one of those green brillo pads you see in the kitchen and sand it a little to scratch it up
  3. Paint the rim
Is that the correct way to prepare the plastic chrome to be painted??

Separate question for some other 12mm on-road rims...
The other question...how do you remove a tire from the rim? With these plastic tires, I think acetone would damage the tires finish if I wanted to leave any rim as is and just remove the tire. Also, using a heat gun could melt the tire...so how do you move a tire without damaging a rim finish?

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 9.30.38 PM.png

Below is a 12mm rim that I want to spray paint a gunmetal dark/black color.

They are pre-mounted and glued when purchased so my thought was:
  1. Tape off the side-wall of the tires
  2. Get one of those green brillo pads you see in the kitchen and sand it a little to scratch it up
  3. Paint the rim
Is that the correct way to prepare the plastic chrome to be painted??

Separate question for some other 12mm on-road rims...
The other question...how do you remove a tire from the rim? With these plastic tires, I think acetone would damage the tires finish if I wanted to leave any rim as is and just remove the tire. Also, using a heat gun could melt the tire...so how do you move a tire without damaging a rim finish?

View attachment 93112

I would use a red scotch brite pad not green. And as far as paint goes try the Duplicolor for vinyl or fabric or SEM Colorcoat.

Bake the tires in your oven.

Acetone works best for saving Nylon wheels. To replace worn out tires.. Acetone on plain plastic wheels may be too caustic on them. It will melt the chrome for sure, leaving an uneven paintable surface. Scuff the chrome well enough, (then clean really well) and use a light coat of "plastic safe" Primer spray over the remaining chrome before your color coat.
Leaving the tire on the rim willl save sooo much work and time. But results will be best only if you can tuck masking tape well enough around the wheel lip, revealing a clean paint line. Just some ideas.

I always weigh my wheels down in a sealed tub of acetone, granted they are not chrome but they just peel off the rim in 24 hrs max, never had a problem with that method, wife would do her nut if they went in our oven ?

If I was changing the colour on them I would probably use like a Rit dye, at least that way they wont chip or scuff ?‍♂️

I always weigh my wheels down in a sealed tub of acetone, granted they are not chrome but they just peel off the rim in 24 hrs max, never had a problem with that method, wife would do her nut if they went in our oven ?

If I was changing the colour on them I would probably use like a Rit dye, at least that way they wont chip or scuff ?‍♂️

Thx for the post....looks like the fumes can do the work...just need time....and not chrome. Agree wife not going for anything in the oven.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back