How do i remove the outdrive cup?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boamedt

Reaction score
I feel stupid. How do you remove the outdrive cups from the diff? I looked all over on here and cant find how to remove them anywhere. Im replacing bearings and diff fluid...thanks guys

I feel stupid. How do you remove the outdrive cups from the diff? I looked all over on here and cant find how to remove them anywhere. Im replacing bearings and diff fluid...thanks guys

You have to pull that gear off inside and the secret is beneath.

The gear isn't stuck on or anything but the diff fluid sometimes makes it stick on a little bit. Once you have it off there is a pin there that hold the drive cups. Not my favorite design....

You have to pull that gear off inside and the secret is beneath.

The gear isn't stuck on or anything but the diff fluid sometimes makes it stick on a little bit. Once you have it off there is a pin there that hold the drive cups. Not my favorite design....
Thank you

Thank you

Getting that gear of.. For me.. Its the part of wrenching i really hate the most.. Sometimes takes me up to 15mins!! don't give up.. It will give at sime point..

Put the outdrive on a surface.. Push te cup down.. Their might be some play to do so.. It will lift the gear a very little.. Then.. Either try to grip it with your needle nose pliers and try to wiggle and pull it loose.. If you cant get grip to hold on with the pliers.. You need to get something underneath.. To push it up.. Most guys here use a dentist toothpick.. Cause its hooked.. And strong.. You can twist and turn that underneath and wiggle and pull on it.. Like i said.. Might take you 15mins.. Eventually it will give all the time!

I'm about to do the same. Is this on 6s vehicles?

Yep.. Im driving a 6s..

When you have it open for the fist time.. Its smart to also shim the diff while youre at it.. @Thomas P made a great vid about how to do it!

This might be the best option! I had to do it my way.. Cause at the time.. My smallest flathead wasnt small enough..

Last edited:
I'm still on the fence about shimming. Figured I'd run it first and see how it goes without. I always see differing opinions on the same vehicle for that. I think its more a matter of opinion than anything else at this point :D

I'm still on the fence about shimming. Figured I'd run it first and see how it goes without. I always see differing opinions on the same vehicle for that. I think its more a matter of opinion than anything else at this point :D

I had the same opinion at first.. But thinkin about it.. Put a couple of dollars worth shims in there.. To tighten stuff up just a little.. Just to make sure that you eventually not wreck everything in there.. Makes some sense..

I'm gonna order the mugen and tekno shim sets. I was thinking it's only $13 for a new gear set but that's one diff. $16 to protect all 3 seems like a decent trade off.

I pulled apart all three diffs on my 2018 Outcast and the front & rear were already shimmed from the factory. As an airbrush artist I have a whole slew of these:
20190629_090400.jpg

They're called weeders, and they're used for removing frisket, vinyl, or tape after you cut them out with an xacto. They are also amazing for working on RCs and getting into places our adult hands can't. You can find them on Amazon.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back