How do I strip my bodyshell?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

no1zeppelinfan

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 6s
Hiya, Did a search but no luck. How can I strip the previously painted shell? It's standard Tamiya ps paint. Someone said use Nitro fuel? Is that correct? Anyone have any other ideas? tia

Nitro fuel won't do it - though it will strip many other types of paint - but in the past I have accidentally removed paint from an R/C body using perchloroethylene based brake cleaner, which is often sold as 'chlorinated' brake cleaner at auto parts shops. Not sure how effectively it will strip a whole body but it sure went to town on the areas I splashed it on.

Thought I ask as someone mentioned nitro fuel makes it come up clean. I've got a new shell to do anyway, I do have one that I wouldn't mind stripping so thought I'd ask.

Thought I ask as someone mentioned nitro fuel makes it come up clean. I've got a new shell to do anyway, I do have one that I wouldn't mind stripping so thought I'd ask.
Nitro fuel has lots of synthetic and castor oil that will make new paint fish eye if you didn't get it super clean afterward... I wouldn't even try it. Plus, that's a waste of Nitro you could be burning (y)

Cant be done.(n) Sorry.
Been there.
PC paint etches into the Lexan(Polycarbonate)
It bonds/ chemically melts with PC almost like a CA glue. Not reversible.:cool:
Nitro fuel has lots of synthetic and castor oil that will make new paint fish eye if you didn't get it super clean afterward... I wouldn't even try it. Plus, that's a waste of Nitro you could be burning (y)
Heck, the last time I paid $70 for a gallon of Nitro.:mad:
And it was only 20% nitro to boot.:LOL:
Tried it, wont remove PC paint on PC.
I literally spent days and days carefully polishing out the windows of my Lim Body. Waste of time. Came out great. But never again.
Very easy to burn the PC chemically. And polishing wheel can burn/ melt the PC also. PC loses its clarity.
Don't even try Brake Cleaner whatever you do. Just buy a new body.
You can try your luck at spraying the outside of the body. If you want to reuse it. Give it a second life. Just Not as durable. Are you looking for shelf queen results??? IDK.
I've done that before. If the body is in decent shape.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back