How do you 6S guys deal with wheels stripping/melting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synack

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
I guess it's a byproduct of a ton of power from the 6S Lipo but I need a solution for my Talion that doesn't involve me buying new wheels all the time.

What are you 6S guys doing for 17mm wheels to prevent the aluminum hub completely stripping and melting the wheel?

Is there such a thing as metal wheels?

I guess it's a byproduct of a ton of power from the 6S Lipo but I need a solution for my Talion that doesn't involve me buying new wheels all the time.

What are you 6S guys doing for 17mm wheels to prevent the aluminum hub completely stripping and melting the wheel?

I didn’t think it’s a problem must only be the katar wheels. My backflips and kraton tires are totally fine

If the hex nut is coming loose then destroying the wheel then some locktite on the hex helps a ton.

If the hex nut is coming loose then destroying the wheel then some locktite on the hex helps a ton.

It's not that, I literally just watched the wheel go flying off the car but the hex nut and everything else is still perfectly bolted on and in tact. It just shredded then melted the plastic wheel hub.

In the meantime I picked up some Proline Badlands 3.8. Seems to be a decent wheel/tire combo.

Still wondering if there's anything that can be done to beef up the plastic wheel hubs.

Running my Talion on 6s and never had that problem.

I've never had that with my Talion running 6s. I've been using Backflips, Road Crushers recently as the Katars that came with it are almost bald.

What kind of speed are you getting the car upto ?

The nut is coming loose, like the other person said. The wheel is backing off the hex and then no longer has drive. The axle it’s on obviously still goes to insane speeds when you floor it, but because the wheel isn’t connected, the nut will rotate until it melts through the wheel. Tighten your wheel hexes after every run.

I also had this happened yesterday with the Backflips on my Notorious. My first post here, hi to everybody from Hamburg ;)

The aluminium was snug and burned the plastic-rim round. I think it was caused by landing a 15 ft high jump with late backflip on full throttle in a skatepark. I also broke a pin in my Diff and both crown and input gear dispite shimming.
I saw a video with a solution involved longer axle pins and some grinded channels in the rim but iam not sure if i want to go down this route:

Any Idea which rims will fit to re-use the Backflip tire? I thought to cook them off but cannot find the Backflip rim solo.

On this picture you can see, that the wheel was tightened properly and is rounded inside.

Attachments

• 08A6B80A-4189-475B-A2BB-C02FDEE62B28.jpeg
    08A6B80A-4189-475B-A2BB-C02FDEE62B28.jpeg
    471.1 KB · Views: 140
The nut is coming loose, like the other person said. The wheel is backing off the hex and then no longer has drive. The axle it’s on obviously still goes to insane speeds when you floor it, but because the wheel isn’t connected, the nut will rotate until it melts through the wheel. Tighten your wheel hexes after every run.

Nope. Not it. All 4 wheels had the nut locked in place. Including the one that this just occurred on. If you look at @HamburgBasher picture above, I had the exact same thing happen.

The nut was still fully tightened in place after the aluminum hex burned right through the plastic wheel hub and ended up with the almost exact same melted wheel above.

It could be a result of some of the big jumps I've been doing lately. Like @HamburgBasher also mentioned, he was doing some big jumps that could've done something to the wheel. Sounds like I need to be careful about being on the throttle as the car hits the ground.

That is the solution to that us long pins and cut two slots in the rim and it will fix your problems.

On this picture you can see, that the wheel was tightened properly and is rounded inside.

That just happened to my Talion yesterday... stripped the wheel right out... The truck was acting funny in the air the last few times I jumped it and then all of a sudden the wheel went flying off...

Not sure if this will help but check your bearings on those hubs that are giving you the issue could be seized and building up heat thus transfering it through the hex making the plastic soft.

Here's my revised answer. On some lower quality wheels, the wheel's hex doesn't have enough backspace to get a full seat on the axle hex. In that case, it will strip out because of the physical design being arguably flawed. It's also possible the plastic for the wheel is too soft and doesn't hold its shape enough. On all the trucks I've run on 6s, even 8s, with 17mm hexes, I've never had a hex strip. I did have problems with duratrax wheels when I had my slash 4x4 and it was using a sidewinder 8th on 6s. I swapped the wheels for some prolines and never had an issue again, and the tires were much grippier as well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back