How do you add/ change diff oil on the car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justatree

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fury
Still a noob, I noticed that my car doesn't go as fast anymore, and the tires spinning feel sorta weak and flat

What is the recommended oil as well? I heard they put grease, but if I change it what oil wt is best?

Default is 10.000 weight oil.
I have added 7.000 to my sons Fury, and it works fine in dirt.

However, forward speed has nothing to do with the differential. A diff starts to work when you go into a corner.
And what exactly do you mean with "weak and flat"?

A differential should turn butter smooth, when you stop/grab one wheel, and turn by hand the other

It doesn't feel as sturdy as it was otb

First of all check Swampie s' reply!

I had two differentials going bad: one of the infamous 2011 (first Arrma diff) type, and one of the latest batch of the 2013 type.
Although in both cases the cause was different, it all started as if both wheels could not turn smoothly as I describe above.

If that is the case, something could be wrong with your diff.

If not, again check Swampie's top tips above.

And to add one: check the state of the drive cups (both at the gearbox as in the wheel hubs) and both drive axis.

ordered slipper pads, I think the pads are worn out and slip too much. Have 100k wt diff oil to place into the differential, I think I will be all set in restoring the performance back into my car

when I meant sluggish I meant
example: one wheel on grass one on dirt, 75% throttle, one on dirt is spinning, and the one on grass no movement whatsoever so to make it move I have to gun it at 100% throttle, and I still have low power, not in limp mode or anything. running stock gearing, running castle setup, all programmed and working fine, I think it may have no oil left inside and the slipper is slipping too much

pulls wheelies still so power is good on road, but not even as fast as it was when I first got it new

Hi

Use some sandpaper on the slipper pads to deglaze them and you should be good to go again. Also you will not be able to lock the slipper clutch down, no matter how tight you have it, it will still slip. I had mine tightened all the way and it still slips. What we need is some slipper pads made from better material.

Hi

Use some sandpaper on the slipper pads to deglaze them and you should be good to go again. Also you will not be able to lock the slipper clutch down, no matter how tight you have it, it will still slip. I had mine tightened all the way and it still slips. What we need is some slipper pads made from better material.
Is this why I may feel like the car doesn't have enough power off-road? Sadly I have already ordered the pads, but I hope this will be the solution to the off-road power issue (the dirt and grass)

Also do you know any slipper pads that would work better?

Batteries are fine, running 5000mah venom 2s lipos so power is perfect so must be the mechanics in the rear... I'm till a noob so correct me if I'm wrong but I will probably take out the whole rear end when my parts come in

Last edited:
Hi

I don't know of any better ones that will fit. The stock ones are just a tiny bit to thin. I'm sure there are some that might fit, but I just don't know where to look.

...when I meant sluggish I meant
example: one wheel on grass one on dirt, 75% throttle, one on dirt is spinning, and the one on grass no movement whatsoever so to make it move I have to gun it at 100% throttle, and I still have low power, not in limp mode or anything. running stock gearing, running castle setup, all programmed and working fine, I think it may have no oil left inside and the slipper is slipping too much

pulls wheelies still so power is good on road, but not even as fast as it was when I first got it new

This sounds like your differential and slipper clutch are working fine!
This is exactly the reason why real size off road cars have lockable differentials.

On hard surfaces a differential makes cornering more easy. But when one of the wheels looses traction, the other will also loose power. That is what you are saying.
Still being able to make wheelies on hard surfaces, so good power!

What could help is thicker weight diff oil: 5.000 or even less.
The thicker the oil, the less the diff will run smooth. This will cause the non spinning wheel to have more traction. But it does influence turning in a bad way

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back