How do YOU charge and care for YOUR LiPo's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajdragon

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Raider
Hi

As the title says "How do YOU charge and care for YOUR LiPo's"? I'm just curious to see how many people actually do the safety precautions that I have been reading so much about, or even have the extra safety equipment. There seems to be at least three extra thing you should have for your protection, a LiPo bag, a metal ammo box, and a fire extinguisher for chemical reactions. I know that if you take good care of your packs you don't have to worry as much about then turning into a angry Pixie and trying to kill you.

I have a LiPo bag. Never use it. No ammo can. There’s a fire extinguisher around here somewhere.

I charge and store in a 50 Cal ammo can with the lid most of the way closed, but I'm not smart enough to do it outside or in the garage. Up until about 3 days ago I had never seen a lipo go up, so I finally watched some videos. It left me feeling slightly uneasy since I have mine sitting on a wood work bench in the basement right below where I sleep. So I did what anybody else would do and threw up a smoke detector. Now I'm good... Right?

$6 worth of those narrow cinder blocks and gallon baggies of sand from my backyard. Obviously for storage, but I also charge them here. Each lipo gets its own cavity and if a fire starts, the plastic bag melts and fills the offending cavity with sand. I also have a z-wave temp sensor on the underside of that counter that can kill power to my charger, trigger my home’s fire alarms, and send me a push notification if that area heats up past a set temperature.

I use an old metal tool box and Crown Royal sacks for traveling. Not a perfect solution, but better than nothing.

9542381D-4A3C-4574-B276-D5E113581658.jpeg
4A0A7A06-71B9-4B47-B579-39BD21B6F41F.jpeg

Hi

I like that idea, after I get a charger I'll have to see about investing in some safety equipment.

charge about 1c, and storage at about 3.8v in the suitable temperature。

I used to charge and store with a lipo sack. I now charge with a Bat-safe box and store with the batteries inside lipo sacks placed inside a Bat-safe XL box.

As for charging, I always charge the morning before I use them and if I don't run them, I discharge via storage charge cycle even if I plan on running the next day. The ones I do use, I storage charge as well.

As for storing them... yeah, I have them piled up in a plastic cabinet right next to 2 gallons of 25% nitro fuel... and now my stomach hurts.

I charge my batteries on my wood workbench about 45 minutes before I go out to play and I storage charge all of them as soon as I am done. I go out with 8 charged sets and then I charge them as I drain them. I never leave them unattended when at home though so I am right there if something should happen.

I store them and transport them in a metal ammo can with two holes drilled in the lid. Also, when I store them, the ammo can is away from anything that could catch fire.

I also set my low voltage cutoff as high as I can on the escs that I can adjust it.

I think storage in an old unused bbq would be good. I use an old metal tool box for storage though neither would prevent smoke damage from a lipo fire.

Hi

Thats a neat idea, use one of the barrel style bbq's.

Store at 3.7v in my charging box.
Some leftover ceramic floor tiles cut and glued - a piece of glass for a lid.
To me metal and electricity is a scary combo.
P_20180916_113823.jpg

Hi

Has anyone thought about using Kaowool or Fire Brick? This stuff can resist thousands of degrees of heat, I don't think a lipo would stand a chance of burning through this stuff. This is the same stuff home made foundries are made from.

Fire Brick
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...EOIVA&linkId=2b1c397907740e7f6dbee8542be893dd

Kaowool
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...D0QCW&linkId=dac3f3271f9d51f5a81217c711078db3
We use Kaowool when manufacturing industrial catalytic oxidizers to protect the outer skin of the unit. It's the best stuff we've tested in the 15 or so years they've been in production. Haven't seen anything that can catch it on fire yet.

Store at 3.7v in my charging box.
Some leftover ceramic floor tiles cut and glued - a piece of glass for a lid.
To me metal and electricity is a scary combo.View attachment 22110
3.7v is too low for storage, some would even argue that is low as they should ever even be allowed to go. 3.85v is preferable, seems like a negligible difference but it is important.

Hi

Well I've decided that I'm going to get everything for safely storing LiPo's before I start buying them, that includes getting Kaowool for making fireproof boxes.

I don't charge at more than 2c. Always balance charge. Ideally always be in the room when charging. Maybe put a smoke detector close by. Always double, triple check that I chose the correct lipo setting (cell count and mah) for the particular lipo Im charging.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back