How do you clean your motor each time?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peaks

Reaction score
I've bought these bits, after I seemingly wrecked a motor after 30 batteries having got a little water in the motor. I live in Wales UK, so the option is either accept to drive when it's wet, or give up on the hobby. I don't want to strip the motor after each run.

What is your routine after running in rainy and muddy conditions?

20210928_063259.jpg

Hi mate, Birmingham here but often running in and around Rhayader too. I use a compressor at thend of the run and check bearings regularly. You don't mention your rig or motor but for my TP motors I have taped up the holes at the back and made sure there is nowhere for water to get in easily.

I've bought these bits, after I seemingly wrecked a motor after 30 batteries having got a little water in the motor. I live in Wales UK, so the option is either accept to drive when it's wet, or give up on the hobby. I don't want to strip the motor after each run.

What is your routine after running in rainy and muddy conditions?

View attachment 171667

Remember that WD-40 is NOT a lubricant. Ensure that you don't get any normal WD-40 near any bearings or they will be ruined quickly if you do not thoroughly clean and re-oil them.

My method is to be lazy and just replace bearings that need to be cleaned and re-oiled. But, I live in the dust and desert so water isn't a concern.

If I am running in the wet and mud I spray the car all over with wd40 before I go. been doing it for years keeps the car from rusting. then when I get home I dry it with a hair dryer first then get air compressor on it try to get most of mud off then spray will a silicone spray. total nightmare I try not to run in them conditions any more

WD-40…..the WD stands for “water displacement “ . My thinking is if your motor is getting wet use the WD-40 but then thorough blow dry and favorite lubricant. 🤷 there is no water where I live.
1632947723364.jpeg

Last edited:
I check the motor probably twice a season (I live in an area where we have not had very much rain in the past 5 weeks). This is my first summer in the hobby and two summer ago we had rain every other day for 3 weeks. My motor disassembly routine might change next summer...or not.

I use Simple Green....good cleaner if not overly diluted, better by far than WD-40 if it gets around the bearings....I also use silicone grease or marine grease to touch up the bearings from time to time....
As mentioned above, DO NOT get WD-40 on the bearings.....expressway for bearing to go out.....
I use air compressor.....good to see you have compressed air....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back