How do you clean your RC?

GRC

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Granite
I think I fried 2 receivers because I was rinsing with water. There are lots of videos that do this, but it obviously wasn't working for me. Now I just use a brush and vacuum cleaner with micro vacuum attachments. A little WD-40 in joints that get particularly dirty.

voicemaster

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
4x4-Mega, Senton
For me, I usually just use a paint brush to get rid of the dirt or sand before putting my car into my trunk. I use WD-40 to clean my bearings and apply white lithium grease after I dry it out. At home, I use a portable vacuum cleaner to suck out any debris that get stuck, usually under the battery tray and motor mount.

SrC

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Limitless, Kraton 6s, Notorious, Outcast 6s
For me, I usually just use a paint brush to get rid of the dirt or sand before putting my car into my trunk. I use WD-40 to clean my bearings and apply white lithium grease after I dry it out. At home, I use a portable vacuum cleaner to suck out any debris that get stuck, usually under the battery tray and motor mount.
I basically do the same procedure. (y) A shop vac or vacuum is better than compressed. Blowing air can push dirt within the bearings and components. This can work against you. Compressed air is fine, just not at the bearings. I always use an RPM "Bearing Blaster" to clean and lube bearings. Everyone should have this. Been using this for 20+ years. I have both the Large and small version. Don't over grease/pack your bearings. 1/3 fill is all you need . Over greased/packed bearings can blow out the seals, and cause heat and galling. The balls will slide, not roll. More is not better in this way.
I only use WD40 to displace water/moisture from water flooded bearings. I don't consider it a well enough "solvent".
I use solvents(brake cleaner or similar) to clean bearings. I don't use Lithium grease on bearings. Lithium grease dries out and isn't the best with wet environments. I tried many and most lubes. I prefer a Marine grade grease or any NGLI grade 1 or 2 or a Bearing oil depending on the bearings position, rig and where used. WD40 has some solvent properties, but leaves behind a film that gums up fine components like very small RC BB's. It tends to mitigate the final lube's properties used in the Ball bearings.
But we all have differing methods. If it works for you. That's good also.
:cool:

Last edited:

Harriot10

BIG JUMPS, BACK FLIPS, AND HAVING FUN!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
BigRock 4x4, Felony, Granite, Infraction, Kraton 6s, Outcast 6s
Simple green, plastic brush, RPM bearing blaster, compressed air, and light oil to the bearings. I usually do a complete tear down to really to get my rigs clean every so often.

Last edited:

Warby

"Hurry up and wait"
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
4x4-Mega, BigRock 4x4, Kraton 6s
My cleaning procedure (depending on how dirty it is of course):

1. Upside down shake with body removed
2. Hit it with the leaf blower to remove most dry debris (I don't have compressed air)
3. Spray with Simple green (kind of avoiding the electronics)
4. Scrub wheels if needed
5. Rinse down with garden hose (again avoiding the electronics, not directly hitting them with the water and yes I know they are "water proof")
6. Repeat clean if required
7. Hit it again with the leaf blower till most water stop coming out.
8. Connect battery and run up to check its all good
9. Spray metal parts with WD40 (screws, hinges, axles, cvd's etc) to disperse remainder of moisture. I sometimes use Selleys Ezy Glide which is a dry non-oily lube.
10. Place RC in dry spot like inside house by the wood fire for a day or night or until the wife complains.

If it's only got dry sand or grass debris on it, I'll avoid wetting it and only use leaf blower. The cordless leaf blower is one of the best tools I've bought recently. This method works for me.
I also tend to clean components as I disassemble it for repairs.
I basically do the same procedure. (y) A shop vac or vacuum is better than compressed. Blowing air can push dirt within the bearings and components. This can work against you. Compressed air is fine, just not at the bearings. I always use an RPM "Bearing Blaster" to clean and lube bearings. Everyone should have this. Been using this for 20+ years. I have both the Large and small version. Don't over grease/pack your bearings. 1/3 fill is all you need . Over greased/packed bearings can blow out the seals, and cause heat and galling. The balls will slide, not roll. More is not better in this way.
I only use WD40 to displace water/moisture from water flooded bearings. I don't consider it a well enough "solvent".
I use solvents(brake cleaner or similar) to clean bearings. I don't use Lithium grease on bearings. Lithium grease dries out and isn't the best with wet environments. I tried many and most lubes. I prefer a Marine grade grease or any NGLI grade 1 or 2 or a Bearing oil depending on the bearings position, rig and where used. WD40 has some solvent properties, but leaves behind a film that gums up fine components like very small RC BB's. It tends to mitigate the final lube's properties used in the Ball bearings.
But we all have differing methods. If it works for you. That's good also.
:cool:
I'd never seen those bearing blasters before. Just ordered one. thanks for the info.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.