How do you clean your RC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone, I hardly ever get my rc’s “wet” but when I do, this is what I do:

1.blow off with air compressor
2.if still dirty soak in simple green few minutes.
3.scrub any heavily soiled areas mist with spray bottle water and if too dirty just lightly rinse avoiding electronics.
4.blow off with air compressor.
5. Quick coat of WD40 to dissipate any remaining moisture.
6.blow off with air compressor
7. Rags in both hands and do a good dry for anything missed. (Any bearings I can get to get dried here as well

if your going for a back to the shelf clean, q tips and a bottle of alcohol helps ??

alright, that’s it. Like I was saying I hardly every take my rc out where it’ll get wet.. perhaps a bit of damp grass or soil that’s about it. No mud puddles for me.. haha. That’s too much mess for how I like to keep my rc’s.

✌???

Hey everyone, I hardly ever get my rc’s “wet” but when I do, this is what I do:

1.blow off with air compressor
2.if still dirty soak in simple green few minutes.
3.scrub any heavily soiled areas mist with spray bottle water and if too dirty just lightly rinse avoiding electronics.
4.blow off with air compressor.
5. Quick coat of WD40 to dissipate any remaining moisture.
6.blow off with air compressor
7. Rags in both hands and do a good dry for anything missed. (Any bearings I can get to get dried here as well

if your going for a back to the shelf clean, q tips and a bottle of alcohol helps ??

alright, that’s it. Like I was saying I hardly every take my rc out where it’ll get wet.. perhaps a bit of damp grass or soil that’s about it. No mud puddles for me.. haha. That’s too much mess for how I like to keep my rc’s.

✌???
I'm unfamiliar with this term, "back to shelf clean."

I've been using my 2 RPM bearing Blasters for years. Large and small one. Absolute Best way to clean ALL bearings, like rubber sealed removable and unremoveable shielded types. These are inexpensive tools. I find them indispensable. I service my bearings several times before I swap out for new ones. I get greater longevity with my BB's. I notice no one here on AF talks about them much. Maybe most guys just swap out bearings??? I've mentioned it before elswhere here on AF. This has been around for over 20 years from RPM. Thought I would mention again here.:cool:

https://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/tools/mega-bearing-blaster/

https://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/tools/bearing-blaster/

Started using this a couple month ago and it works wonders.
Spray on, foams up like crazy and blow off with pressured air. Shiny clean incl the plastic and smells nice as well, smell doesn't linger and is gone in 5 minutes. Removes dust and everything else. No issues so far spraying on rubber sealed bearings. Highly recommended.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simple-...ner-Degreaser-Aerosol-0600000119010/301285878

Started using this a couple month ago and it works wonders.
Spray on, foams up like crazy and blow off with pressured air. Shiny clean incl the plastic and smells nice as well, smell doesn't linger and is gone in 5 minutes. Removes dust and everything else. No issues so far spraying on rubber sealed bearings. Highly recommended.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simple-...ner-Degreaser-Aerosol-0600000119010/301285878
I’ve been wanting to try the foam since Mark Santa Maria showed it on his channel a few months ago. Nice to hear someone here likes it as well. ?

I’ve been wanting to try the foam since Mark Santa Maria showed it on his channel a few months ago. Nice to hear someone here likes it as well. ?
I saw him using it too.

Would you tear the car apart like he did or just avoid the electronics?

I saw him using it too.

I would probably just avoid the electronics, but I’m kinda lazy. ?

I've been using my 2 RPM bearing Blasters for years. Large and small one. Absolute Best way to clean ALL bearings, like rubber sealed removable and unremoveable shielded types. These are inexpensive tools. I find them indispensable. I service my bearings several times before I swap out for new ones. I get greater longevity with my BB's. I notice no one here on AF talks about them much. Maybe most guys just swap out bearings??? I've mentioned it before elswhere here on AF. This has been around for over 20 years from RPM. Thought I would mention again here.:cool:

https://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/tools/mega-bearing-blaster/

https://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/tools/bearing-blaster/
I have a bearing shaker it's called but have looked at these a few times. Am I safe to assume that you are best off buying both?

I saw him using it too.

He is a diehard track guy. Track guys always remove electrics. Nothing wet near electrics. Its like a religion. To this day I am the same way. And I stopped racing long ago. I get squeamish if my stuff gets wet from grass dew.
I have a bearing shaker it's called but have looked at these a few times. Am I safe to assume that you are best off buying both?
I soak my bearings in a container and shake them. But the Bearing Blaster by design flushes the races and balls completely. Can pressure of suitable solvent is safe and effective. I also use a compressor to dry the bearings with the blaster. Its so much quicker. Sometimes soaking alone doesn't release all the dirt and grease. You use much less solvent with the Blaster. The design is much like a scale car bearing packing cone tool.

Last edited:
I have WD-40 on-the-shelf here, but rarely use it. It's NOT a lube, and leaves a film after it dries. Spray some on a piece of glass, and see what's left after the solvent evaporates.

I generally only run when it's dry, but the car collects a lot of yard debris like grass clippings, pine needles, little stones, etc. Those I brush out with one of the $5/box brushes from Harbor Freight, along with some compressed air. If the car gets wet I blow it off first, then do the brush and air inside.

The only time it got really filthy was when two of the four shocks dumped their oil and I didn't catch it until I'd run the car a couple of times.

Simple Green helped, along with lots of paper towels and shop rags.

I soak my bearings in a container and shake them. But the Bearing Blaster by design flushes the races and balls completely. Can pressure of suitable solvent is safe and effective. I also use a compressor to dry the bearings with the blaster. Its so much quicker. Sometimes soaking alone doesn't release all the dirt and grease. You use much less solvent with the Blaster. The design is much like a scale car bearing packing cone tool.

I tried finding videos on this and they are YEARS old and most were using WD40. What is suitable solvent? Do you remove the seals? I saw a few that did and a few that didn't. Also what is typically used to oil or grease the bearing afterwards?

I have a Senton 3S. After each run I blow out with an air compressor, pull the motor and gears, blow out more, use a toothbrush to get more stubborn dirt or mud, blow out more. I've coated the under side of the body with heavy duty duck tape, so I will wet that down lightly and use a rag or medium sized brush. I've never used WD-40 to coat anything. I will pull the outer bearings from each corner and clean and oil those depending on how dirty they are. I use white lithium grease. I am very spearing on it. I use a very small paint brush to apply when needed. So far it cleans easily and I've not seen a build up on parts from it

I tried finding videos on this and they are YEARS old and most were using WD40. What is suitable solvent? Do you remove the seals? I saw a few that did and a few that didn't. Also what is typically used to oil or grease the bearing afterwards?
WD40 is fine for that but you would need to find something to clean the WD40 out of the bearings, you can also use non chlorinated brake cleaner as this won't leave behind anything and dries pretty quick. The bearings will be easier to clean if you remove the seals. For lube I see a lot of guys using stuff like this https://www.acerracing.com/collections/lube-ball-bearing-cleaner

Last edited:
I have the RPM bearing blaster, but didn't find it that great. I prefer to just hold the bearings with some needle nose pliers and apply motor spray directly to the ball bearings.

I've seen a bunch of Earl's videos, but I was surprised what he does. One with batteries and two with the hose. Is this even remotely safe?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back