How do you clean your RC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see several people mention using Simple Green. At 6 bucks for a 32oz spray bottle it gets kind of expensive. If you have a Dollar General around your town look there for Simple Greens generic brother called Mean Green. Its exactly the same ingredients and works just as good, and at 5 bucks a gallon and a .99 spray bottle it goes a lot farther.

I just cleaned my Kraton up after trashing it at the club field yesterday. Jeeesh and I thought murdering 10,000 bugs a flight with some of my planes was a chore to clean LOL.
I don't have a Dollar General near me so I just get a half gallon of Simple Green for $6 at Walmart. If you buy the pre mixed stuff, like the 32 ounce bottle you mentioned, the price is outrageous, but if you buy the concentrated Simple Green it isn't too bad.

I don't have a Dollar General near me so I just get a half gallon of Simple Green for $6 at Walmart. If you buy the pre mixed stuff, like the 32 ounce bottle you mentioned, the price is outrageous, but if you buy the concentrated Simple Green it isn't too bad.
My Walmart has a 1 gallon jug for $8. For some dumb reason the website doesn't even list it. And my local Walmart also sells Mean Green.
ggaTUYcl.jpg

My Walmart has a 1 gallon jug for $8. For some dumb reason the website doesn't even list it. And my local Walmart also sells Mean Green.
ggaTUYcl.jpg
I went to pick up another jug and they didn't have them any more =(

My front wheel bearings sounded crunchy after only the second run, so I took them out, cleaned them with WD40 and then re-oiled them with 3in1 oil. That seemed to do the trick. I was surprised that none of the other moving surfaces (steering arms etc) seemed to be greased when they put it together in the factory. Is that intentional to prevent dirt getting stuck to these surfaces? Should I be greasing them?

Also, do you generally apply ThreadLock every time you put the car back together? Seems a bit pointless if you're likely to be undoing those screws again a few hours/days later.

Also, do you generally apply ThreadLock every time you put the car back together? Seems a bit pointless if you're likely to be undoing those screws again a few hours/days later.
Not if you like losing screws while you drive. Blue instead of red, less cumbersome when it's time to work, but still necessary when metal to metal. Jmo

I’ve been using Simple Green on all my rides for many years without any issues. I start by rinsing off the heavy dirt (in the backyard cause I learned the hard way that the wife no likey me using the bath tub for this task). I apply the concentrated SG and let it sit for 30 mins or so and then rinse it all. If electronics are’t waterproof, remove it before you begin rinsing procedure.

I’ve used Castrol’s Super Clean but way too strong to my liking.

Oh! I strongly recommended buying an ultrasonic cleaner: I use mine often for cleaning much more than my rc parts. Also, a small air compressor would be ideal.

O.k. a lot of great input from several with years & years of exp. I'm seeking middle ground here so anyone's input is appreciated.
We'll (my son and i) be running our cars a few times a week probably. Schedules barely allot us enough time for that let alone pulling & cleaning bearings and riffs after each run.
Normally in all about taking care of it to last but I need balance here. I'm in Arizona so I'll seldom if ever find it in we or muddy conditions. At best maybe moisture from grass with dew on it in winter.
That said...if I schedule the pulling of bearings, diffs, & use of brake cleaner etc... down to maybe a monthly exercise and in between each run just spray w/50/50 SG solution, remove wheels and hose off, then hit with compressed air....would I be a crappy Rc owner to my Kraton and pay the price or would that suffice as decent middle ground?

O.k. a lot of great input from several with years & years of exp. I'm seeking middle ground here so anyone's input is appreciated.
We'll (my son and i) be running our cars a few times a week probably. Schedules barely allot us enough time for that let alone pulling & cleaning bearings and riffs after each run.
Normally in all about taking care of it to last but I need balance here. I'm in Arizona so I'll seldom if ever find it in we or muddy conditions. At best maybe moisture from grass with dew on it in winter.
That said...if I schedule the pulling of bearings, diffs, & use of brake cleaner etc... down to maybe a monthly exercise and in between each run just spray w/50/50 SG solution, remove wheels and hose off, then hit with compressed air....would I be a crappy Rc owner to my Kraton and pay the price or would that suffice as decent middle ground?
I’m no expert mate but that sounds ample to me ??Sure someone on here with more experience will be along to help u out soon

You don't have to wash it every time you run it, after a run just give it a good one over with the air hose then take a cheap paint brush to get in the nooks and crannies then hit it with the air hose again.

I have a had a few problems with the 3S electronics and just got off the phone with a Tower rep. He says that since I use degreaser and hose the cars off when I am finished, that the water from that is ruining the electronics. I don't understand how 2 mins of water sprayed like shower, not submerged, can harm something that says waterproof on the box. He admitted that many people have pointed out to him that the receiver boxes 3S models are allowing water to enter them.

I have a had a few problems with the 3S electronics and just got off the phone with a Tower rep. He says that since I use degreaser and hose the cars off when I am finished, that the water from that is ruining the electronics. I don't understand how 2 mins of water sprayed like shower, not submerged, can harm something that says waterproof on the box. He admitted that many people have pointed out to him that the receiver boxes 3S models are allowing water to enter them.
Arrma receiver box isn't the best. Seal it with shoe goo or use vasaline on top cover gasket and where the wires go in and out. Add it to both inside and outside.

Never mention that you got anything electronic wet when talking to customer support. I don't remember who it was but they had posted a thread a while ago that their esc died and they told Arrma they were running it around outside and ran through a puddle then it stopped working, Armma denied his warranty because it doesn't cover water damage...........

Never mention that you got anything electronic wet when talking to customer support. I don't remember who it was but they had posted a thread a while ago that their esc died and they told Arrma they were running it around outside and ran through a puddle then it stopped working, Armma denied his warranty because it doesn't cover water damage...........
You are absolutely right. I told him not to even worry about the servo that I was calling about because I found one for $16 shipped on eBay. I was interested to hear what he would say when I asked him were they finding the 3S receiver boxes and electronics weren’t as waterproof as they thought. He then went on to explain that they really shouldn’t even be ran through wet grass and I asked him why did they have waterproof stamped several times on the boxes and he said it was a marketing thing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back