How do you get the rust off?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
I purchased a new rig form a user here which was from someone else. I am thrilled about the purchase!!

I have never ran my rigs in water and never had to deal with parts with rust. How do I address or go about getting rust off?

Not to bash to seller I am just asking for help or advice....new one for me :)

1666743664909.png
1666743684519.png
1666743694959.png
1666743711642.png
1666743721388.png

For the tie rods, drive shafts, etc. use some fine steel wool and oil which should take the rust off. As for the fasteners, just replace them or try the same thing with steel wool but not worth the effort.

I’d use some real fine steel wool on the axles. Screws I would just order a screw kit from Jenny’s. Recently dealt with the same when my xlx2 caught fire and made everything rust.

Drive shafts and turnbuckles are easy, just sand them. Screws just replace them.

That’s mostly cosmetic. Wouldn’t hurt or be to costly to replace.

Thx fellas. I will get on JRC and get the screw kit....I have a lot of screw sets, but very few cap heads.

I will get into the diffs and motor this weekend to see how they look...

I’d use some real fine steel wool on the axles. Screws I would just order a screw kit from Jenny’s. Recently dealt with the same when my xlx2 caught fire and made everything rust.
Sorry about the fire boss!

@parcou

All you need is $2.28 for a gallon of Distilled White Vinegar.

Remove all the rusted parts and put them in a plastic bowl then pour enough of that vinegar to cover the parts.
Leave them soaked for an hour or over night, depending on how tough the rust is..

Minimum effort , Maximum Results 😁

Then use a brass bristle brush to polish off any remaining spots.
All you need to do after all that is use some wax on the parts to protect the surfaces.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back