Granite How do you replace the DIff & Idler Gear Set on a Granite Voltage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MidCitySlim

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Voltage
First - my problem on my Granite Voltage is that I only get one side of the rear tires to spin when I hit the gas. Any pressure applied to the either of the wheels, and nothing spins.

The Diff cups are good (metal replacements actually), the spur gear is new and intact, and from what I can see without opening anything up, is that the gear that hits the spur gear is fully intact. Which makes me think the other gear you can't see is stripped.

Which is now my question - how do you replace the gears in AR310765? I have a feeling I need to split the chassis. Ugh....

This car breaks every single time I take it out to bash. Buyer's remorse...

Yep, split the chassis. It actually isn’t that bad. You have to pull the body mounts and unscrew the servo and ESC, but pretty much everything else can stay attached, and the body is only held together by 5 or 6 screws.

So, it actually was pretty bad to split the chassis. Basically took 2/3 of the car apart.

So I got to the diff & idler gears. Nothing seems off with the teeth of the gears. Is there a way to tell if the idler gear is broken? I took it apart, and as well, it didn't seem like there was anything wrong with the teeth.

Huh. Guess I’ve just done it enough that I’ve gotten faster!

Maybe the differential is broken? Did you open that up and take a look at the metal gears?

Also, I guess it’s a little late, but before you pulled everything apart, you could have taken the cover off the spur and pinion to see if they were slipping or not while you hold the wheels.

The spur and pinion are good. I checked that first.

I'm not sure which is the idler vs the diff gear. I opened up the one that has the metal gears in it. Everything seemed ok, but I know when I hold one side of the axle, the other spins freely --- I'm not sure if this is good or bad.

The spur and pinion are good. I checked that first.

I'm not sure which is the idler vs the diff gear. I opened up the one that has the metal gears in it. Everything seemed ok, but I know when I hold one side of the axle, the other spins freely --- I'm not sure if this is good or bad.
Yes that’s the way a diff works. You should be able to grab the out cups on each side and twist them opposite directions with some feeling of resistance. The resistance will depend on what weight and quantity of diff fluid you have inside the diff. If it clicks or doesn’t feel smooth, that’s when you have issues. Spin them enough times in both directions to ensure you have spun it all the way through all the gears.

Also check for side to side play or slop in the out cups. They should not slide in or out of the diff assembly. If there is any play, check your inner bearing for damage. If not a bearing issue, you will need to shim the drive cups on the inside of the diff, under the gear.

What he said!

That is normal for the differential (the part with the metal gears inside). Spin one wheel and the other wheel will spin in the opposite direction. If you spin both wheels the same direction, it should turn the spur gear.

you mentioned that you upgraded to metal outdrives. Is it possible the little screw that secures them loosened up? I had that happen to me once, and it acted a lot like what you mention.

when you split it in half does the diff come apart
I split mine and one side stayed on and the other held most the diff with gears. I no my bearings are bad. I cant get the diff off either

First - my problem on my Granite Voltage is that I only get one side of the rear tires to spin when I hit the gas. Any pressure applied to the either of the wheels, and nothing spins.

The Diff cups are good (metal replacements actually), the spur gear is new and intact, and from what I can see without opening anything up, is that the gear that hits the spur gear is fully intact. Which makes me think the other gear you can't see is stripped.

Which is now my question - how do you replace the gears in AR310765? I have a feeling I need to split the chassis. Ugh....

This car breaks every single time I take it out to bash. Buyer's remorse...
The steel shaft coming out of the diff broke on my voltage car is 1 day old. What do I do to fix that

The steel shaft coming out of the diff broke on my voltage car is 1 day old. What do I do to fix that
Your gonna have to split the chassis apart and replace the whole diff.
Truck is one day old. Do they sell the part? How hard is it to change

The part is AR310765 and not really hard to change per say just takes a little bit of time to do it. @suchtragedy laid it out pretty well in this post what needs to be done https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/granite-trouble.7414/#post-250271

I know it sucks and I don't know what to say with it breaking so soon. I have had my Voltage for a while now and never broke that even with brushless power.

Mine broke on second run. Had the throttle pegged 100% in air and it broke when it landed. I was an inexperienced driver then and now I know that when you go airborne to take my finger off the throttle ? I learned a lot taking the car apart to fix it and now I think it's half the fun ? Good luck!

Mine broke on second run. Had the throttle pegged 100% in air and it broke when it landed. I was an inexperienced driver then and now I know that when you go airborne to take my finger off the throttle ? I learned a lot taking the car apart to fix it and now I think it's half the fun ? Good luck!
Ya I'm just getting back into it . last time I was into it I was running the old fx 10 buggys. I like these trucks though seems like you can upgrade them quite a bit.
Ya I'm just getting back into it . last time I was into it I was running the old fx 10 buggys. I like these trucks though seems like you can upgrade them quite a bit.
Looking at upgrading the servo. Any recommendations?

I am upgrading mine with the 6s version servo. It is a 15kg servo vs 5kg. They are dirt cheap on jennysrc.com. You have to be in USA for that website. I ordered some stuff from there the other day and was at my door in 2 days. Just look up any 6s model and find servo

Just bought my Granite this week, finally took it out today for a test drive, the shaft coming out of the diff broke within the first 5 minutes. This is on brushed power with the included 1800 mah Nimh battery.

Definitely not happy I'll have to take the entire truck apart to replace the diff after 5 minutes.

I thought Arrma was supposed to be tough.

Last edited:
Just bought my Granite this week, finally took it out today for a test drive, the shaft coming out of the diff broke within the first 5 minutes. This is on brushed power with the included 1800 mah Nimh battery.

Definitely not happy I'll have to take the entire truck apart to replace the diff after 5 minutes.

Yikes that’s not a normal issue on NiMH power. Sorry to hear that. Did you call Horizon or the hobby store?

The part is on back order until early May?.Did you go over a jump?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back