How do you wrench red-anodized aluminum shocks/parts without scratching them?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
I do not think there is an answer to this it will happen regardless...

Just curious how do you all wrench on red anodized parts like shocks. My set of Typhon 6S shocks caps were on so tight for the first time oil change it was a PITA to get off...have the scratches to prove it. You have a hex area on the shaft body where I had to use an adjustable wrench since the biggest wrench I had was 22mm and that still was too small. Next, I had to take pliers to the top to turn the black cap while holding the adjustable wrench tightly. I hate to see paint damage just trying to do maintenance on them....not from driving it which I could live with...pissed!

They were super tight but it just lead me to post the question to see what others do to remove parts when not trying to scratch the part/paint finish? I do see Home Depot have 10in soft pilers with soft caps that go over the teeth

Suggestions?

Back when I was wrenching a lot on 1:1 scale stuff, we used lots of braided lines with "AN" fittings on them, all very nicely anodized in red and blue.

Earl's Supply, Summit Racing, and I'm sure many others sold wrenches made from Aluminum that were advertised as not scratching your fittings. Some time ago I saw some carbon-fiber, open-end wrenches (BIG$$$) in Hot Rod that were advertised as guaranteed NOT to scratch your fittings.

I haven't seen any plastic or aluminum wrenches for this use on any of the hobby sites, but I bet you could sell a bunch of them.

Maybe 3D print some from a suitably strong plastic??

Last edited:
Cloth helps. Knipex wrenches are perfect as well. 6* is the perfect size for most rc jobs. I've used the 12" ones for pushing tight bearings in and out as well.

Last edited:
I do not think there is an answer to this it will happen regardless...

Just curious how do you all wrench on red anodized parts like shocks. My set of Typhon 6S shocks caps were on so tight for the first time oil change it was a PITA to get off...have the scratches to prove it. You have a hex area on the shaft body where I had to use an adjustable wrench since the biggest wrench I had was 22mm and that still was too small. Next, I had to take pliers to the top to turn the black cap while holding the adjustable wrench tightly. I hate to see paint damage just trying to do maintenance on them....not from driving it which I could live with...pissed!

They were super tight but it just lead me to post the question to see what others do to remove parts when not trying to scratch the part/paint finish? I do see Home Depot have 10in soft pilers with soft caps that go over the teeth

Suggestions?
A shock wrench. https://www.google.com/search?q=rc+...uAp0JHYRgBj8Q_AUoAXoECA4QAw&biw=2560&bih=1248

And to get the shock caps off use an allen wrench through the hole in the top, no more scratched shock bodies.

Soft jaw pliers might work. The make plastic adapters for most pliers. If I don’t want to scratch something I sometimes use electrical tape on pliers.

These Shock Tool/Pliers - These are really nice, but you can find cheaper brands for about half the price depending on your budget. The other options mentioned will work in a pinch or if you don't have any on hand, but I recommend getting the right tool for the job if you plan to stick with the hobby. They are also very handy for holding the shock shafts when replacing rod ends and for popping pivot balls in/out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back