How does this motor tech work then?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ari33

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Interesting idea but I'm having a hard time envisioning this motor tech and buying the outlandish (to me) claims.. but tbh its not really an area I am proficient in.

Sound feasible?... and do you think its scaleable to smaller motor sizes?

Edit- Judging from this vid below it looks like its a 'spoke' motor. Pretty complex in comparison and probably has a lot of engineering problems to overcome before it becomes a mainstream next gen EV motor.
If the performance and efficiency advantages as huge as that are real I'm sure they will overcome though.

Just how small could they make it though?

Last edited:
Most of our ESCs work with back EMF. This type of motor would have to be sensored for sure!
I have a hard time believing some of their claims just due to the nature of magnetic flux patterns.

I hope it is all true, but in these scenarios we typically have to wait and see. It sounds like their target audience is manufacturing and automotive industries. It would take a company like NeuMotors or Castle to purchase licensing of the technology to ever get it into the RC hobby world.

-Liberty

Most of our ESCs work with back EMF. This type of motor would have to be sensored for sure!
I have a hard time believing some of their claims just due to the nature of magnetic flux patterns.

I hope it is all true, but in these scenarios we typically have to wait and see. It sounds like their target audience is manufacturing and automotive industries. It would take a company like NeuMotors or Castle to purchase licensing of the technology to ever get it into the RC hobby world.

-Liberty

Yeah, sound a bit optimistic to say the least... but I know that the British company in the second video are not a snake oil outfit.

The Chinese aren't too fussed about purchasing licence agreements either..

For that spoke motor... I have seen people install water cooling systems in RC cars. As always the real-estate space is just so limited on an RC. I cannot see that sort of motor going in an RC car unless they modify the magnets used to handle a little higher temps and forego the water cooling setup.

I really like what Neu does on their larger motors where there is an integrated fan inside the motor!

Honestly from my perspective where we need the most development/innovation is in the ESC. Motors can crank out some serious power, but the ESCs cant deliver the amps we need/want.

-Liberty

For that spoke motor... I have seen people install water cooling systems in RC cars. As always the real-estate space is just so limited on an RC. I cannot see that sort of motor going in an RC car unless they modify the magnets used to handle a little higher temps and forego the water cooling setup.

I really like what Neu does on their larger motors where there is an integrated fan inside the motor!

Honestly from my perspective where we need the most development/innovation is in the ESC. Motors can crank out some serious power, but the ESCs cant deliver the amps we need/want.

-Liberty

Was thinking the exact same thing myself... That motor type was absolutely designed with water cooling as a necessity and without it, its advantages would probably be almost completely negated.

At half the size and 80% of the mass at least that would free up a little real estate and weight for a liquid cooled system.

Just for talking sake and as a thought experiment... I'd probably incorporate an easily replaceable reduction geared water pump on the end of the motor (or maybe incorporate the pump into the centre diff housing to remove the need for the reduction gearing?) which would run a coolant line to a milled out (pc type) water block on the base of the esc which was also routed through an actively cooled radiator on the top of the esc.

The base of the esc could also be thermal pasted, permanently soldered or even part of the chassis to allow the whole chassis to act as a passive heatsink.

Serious engineering and likely pretty costly for a mere toy... and could a watercooling system like the above cope with all the shocks and abuse we throw at them. Probably not.. :/

Last edited:
For my uses in speed running I thought it would be interesting to use a small nitro tank and have water and dry ice circulating through the system. For the short duration of run time.

Something I may still try in the future ;)

RC boat motors and ESCs are typically water cooled so they have that part well established. There are even some write-ups on converting castle ESCs from a heatsink/fan combo over to water cooled.

-Liberty

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back