How does this wear and tear happen?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostcoastwizard

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
This is from a typhon 3s, its a 57t spur gear. It's only half worn. When I took it off, the pinion gear moved up and a down a little. The little screw was loose. I'm pretty sure that's why it's like that. But now that I got a replacement spur gear, put a little blue lock tight on the screw, it sounds all tight and clicky when I pull the throttle. Is the default pinion gear too big? Is the spur gear not good? Is there some simple trick to putting the thing back together that I don't understand?
120924104_825894454904607_9044762436027341137_n.jpg

Mate i went through two of them but have been running the metal spur for a while now without issue. Ultimately, the weakest part fails and that plastic spur is obvs weaker than a tight slipper. IMO upgrade to the metal spur and pass the issue into the slipper which should then slip :)

Do you have a motor mount with specific holes? or is it a sliding motor mount where you can mount the motor in various distances from the spur?

In any way, you need to ensure that the pinion and spur have a little wiggle between them, it shouldnt be tight where there is not play.

As for the plastic spur, i find it good enough, it can last for a really long time as long as
1. no sand enters the gearbox area
2. the mesh (play between the gears) is set correctly.

Do you have a motor mount with specific holes? or is it a sliding motor mount where you can mount the motor in various distances from the spur?

In any way, you need to ensure that the pinion and spur have a little wiggle between them, it shouldnt be tight where there is not play.
Also this - bad mesh will kill it quicker!

This seems to be the problem that I don't understand. The engine doesn't sit flush against the housing because of its curve, and so the pinion doesn't have full enough contact with the spur gear when I tighten the adjustable screws. When the adjustable screws are put in the right place for even spacing, after tightening, the contact between the spur and pinion gets uneven.

I love arrma stuff, but I wish they had the video support that traxxas does. Thanks for everyone's input. I appreciate it very much.

20201010_182215.jpg

20201010_182206.jpg

20201010_182154.jpg

Ps I have no idea where the motor bearings are :/

Ah that makes sense! Also, compared to yours, mine also looks like it's missing screws. Man, I wish mine had those cool custom screw holes so I don't have to mess around with the 2 screw slots. This must be the latest version?

So, I flattened the motor mount on a flat part of the concrete with a hammer =p It was scary. Also, I had to file some plastic off the housing that was warped and cracked so it wouldn't rub on the spur gear. Voila. It works now! This was a fix for a customer. Not a clean one, but it works. If he's unhappy with this fix, I'll offer to replace the whole housing at no charge.

He must have hit something so hard that the pinion got loose, the plastic housing for the spur and pinion had a pressure crack that warped the plastic in such a way that it made it touch the spur, bent the aluminum motor mount, and made the pinion put too much wear on the spur. I worked on this for like 2 hours today and yesterday doing research and such. It wasn't until you guys told me the plate was bent that I really got anywhere. Again, thank you all very much for help with the fix!

Last edited:
Man, I wish mine had those cool custom screw holes so I don't have to mess around with the 2 screw slots.
I think this is actually the older/standard one. Part# ar310874. I prefer and use the adjustable mesh - gives you more options on pinion sizes and lets you set the mesh yourself.

He must have hit something so hard that the pinion got loose, the plastic housing for the spur and pinion had a pressure crack that warped the plastic in such a way that it made it touch the spur, bent the aluminum motor mount, and made the pinion put too much wear on the spur.
Yep, Ive done this with high speed full frontals before - it drives the drive shaft and motor weight back onto that plate which flexes and bends (and passes some of the energy on to the plastic case too).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back