Big Rock How good was the Nero?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marucci87

Reaction score
I’ve been looking for a decent example of a Nero, I never buy used rcs but I think if I can find a complete near perfect one I would pick one up, if I have read correctly it was Traxxas that killed it? Also Arrma got sued over its design? I guarantee that it was miles better then any Traxxas with the same shock set up. I’ve had a 2.5 Revo when they first came out years ago and it was ok from what I remember. I’m sure Traxxas was scared the Nero it seems like a awesome truck that was ahead of its time also packed with useful features. If I could find a unopened one I honestly think I would pay 1200 for it. With that said let me know if anyone has a almost perfect one or new you want to get rid of.

Last edited:
I’ve been looking for a decent example of a Nero, I never buy used rcs but I think if I can find a complete near perfect one I would pick one up, if I have read correctly it was Traxxas that killed it? Also Arrma got sued over its design? I guarantee that it was miles better then any Traxxas with the same shock set up. I’ve had a 2.5 Revo when they first came out years ago and it was ok from what I remember. I’m sure Traxxas was scared the Nero it seems like a awesome truck that was ahead of its time also packed with useful features. If I could find a unopened one I honestly think I would pay 1200 for it. With that said let me know if anyone has a almost perfect one or new you want to get rid of.
Good luck with your search. The only Nero Big Rocks that I have seen for sale are on eBay for around $1000. There were only 2 at the time, about 6 months ago, and only one was near perfect condition. Don't know if either one would still be for sale on eBay or not.

I love my nero. It is so fun to drive.
if I can find a complete near perfect one
There are no perfect ones on the market. If it is near perfect it is in a collection. A few months ago there was somebody on the AF selling a nero non-diff brain version nib (box wasn't sealed) for $2K, it might still be available.

I want one with all original electronics and with diff brain, almost perfect. I seen the ones on eBay already…it’s just a shame it seems like a awesome truck, Traxxas just couldn’t let it live. Is it as good as I hope? I’ll be patient, maybe a collector will let one go but I can’t see spending 2k plus on it, it’s just not happening….it’s like my white whale.

You can look up all the details of the Traxxas/ Hobbico lawsuit. It was about a lot more than just the shock design. There were some other blatantly copies of things. Receiver boxes, motor mounting, led lighting mounting and a slew of other things that were basically direct copies. It’s actually a very interesting lawsuit. I’m not saying what Traxxas did was right, but I’m sure if the shoe was on the other foot, Hobbico would have done the same.

As for your Nero search, I got very very lucky and found one on EBay for $500 and won the bid at $530. The body has some signs of wear but the truck overall is actually really clean and all stock with a diff brain! I haven’t had a chance to drive it yet sadly. I do currently own the newest version of the ERevo and had the generation before that and just from looking at it and feeling the suspension I can’t definitively say the Nero would have been an ERevo killer. It does have its pros and cons. Right off the bat I don’t like how the batteries come in from the bottom, the twin vertical plate chassis is great from a strength perspective (at least it was on my savage) but it’s a pain to work on anything (again that expierence is coming from my savage)The spur and pinion don’t seem like it would be very easy to swap out. Now there are a lot of things I don’t like about my ERevo as well… either way I am holding all holding all opinions until I get to drive both back to back. Like you I’ve been eyeing these for a while and was beyond excited to get one. I had the chance to buy one in 2016 when I got my first ERevo but my LHS steered me away from it because of the whole lawsuit thing and Arrmas whole existence was questionable. Plus they didn’t even carry many parts for Arrmas anyway… well fast forward to today and I have a Mojave EXB, Limitless, Kraton 8s, and now my Nero. I have other vehicles too but that’s my Arrma line up.

51939B09-50EE-4CE3-B992-4C8FCCF89957.jpeg

0B61ECAB-FD12-4AAD-9B80-A9B21AFDDE06.jpeg

9C4A43AB-52BE-47E2-BE4D-3569EDF4B08E.jpeg

4D275901-A353-4285-AEE0-FD2C28F3CF4B.png

I know of a nero 6s on fb marketplace for $530 it comes with a diff brain 3 different sets of batteries (which might not work) a few sets of wheels and most of the parts required to build a extra nero.

You can look up all the details of the Traxxas/ Hobbico lawsuit. It was about a lot more than just the shock design. There were some other blatantly copies of things. Receiver boxes, motor mounting, led lighting mounting and a slew of other things that were basically direct copies. It’s actually a very interesting lawsuit. I’m not saying what Traxxas did was right, but I’m sure if the shoe was on the other foot, Hobbico would have done the same.

As for your Nero search, I got very very lucky and found one on EBay for $500 and won the bid at $530. The body has some signs of wear but the truck overall is actually really clean and all stock with a diff brain! I haven’t had a chance to drive it yet sadly. I do currently own the newest version of the ERevo and had the generation before that and just from looking at it and feeling the suspension I can’t definitively say the Nero would have been an ERevo killer. It does have its pros and cons. Right off the bat I don’t like how the batteries come in from the bottom, the twin vertical plate chassis is great from a strength perspective (at least it was on my savage) but it’s a pain to work on anything (again that expierence is coming from my savage)The spur and pinion don’t seem like it would be very easy to swap out. Now there are a lot of things I don’t like about my ERevo as well… either way I am holding all holding all opinions until I get to drive both back to back. Like you I’ve been eyeing these for a while and was beyond excited to get one. I had the chance to buy one in 2016 when I got my first ERevo but my LHS steered me away from it because of the whole lawsuit thing and Arrmas whole existence was questionable. Plus they didn’t even carry many parts for Arrmas anyway… well fast forward to today and I have a Mojave EXB, Limitless, Kraton 8s, and now my Nero. I have other vehicles too but that’s my Arrma line up.

View attachment 178660

View attachment 178661

View attachment 178662

View attachment 178663
I can’t not believe I was 10 days late on that auction. Fml u want to sell if for profit? I doubt it your a lucky man congrats. I’m always a day late and a dollar short.

I can’t not believe I was 10 days late on that auction. Fml u want to sell if for profit? I doubt it your a lucky man congrats. I’m always a day late and a dollar short.
Hahaha profit you say…. I’ve been watching these things for a while and have missed my fair share. With as long as I’ve been looking I am not letting this go. Lol. I missed this truck the first time because I was working when the auction ended and no one bought it. Luckily the seller reposted right away. I set all types of alarms to remind myself. There was only one other bidder. I’m actually shocked it went for as low as it did. The seller was even surprised when he messaged me. I def won the lotto on this one.

Hahaha profit you say…. I’ve been watching these things for a while and have missed my fair share. With as long as I’ve been looking I am not letting this go. Lol. I missed this truck the first time because I was working when the auction ended and no one bought it. Luckily the seller reposted right away. I set all types of alarms to remind myself. There was only one other bidder. I’m actually shocked it went for as low as it did. The seller was even surprised when he messaged me. I def won the lotto on this one.
Yeah You are lucky, I didn’t get the itch to buy one until I posted this thread. I did look here and there but that one got right past me, like I said before for a good example I’m willing to pay 1000-1200. Yours looks really clean and good shape I envy have fun with it!

If you are a collector looking for a Nice Arrma shelf queen conversation piece, this is all you.
It is vintage now, with parts support a bit rough at this point. I would not drive it if I got one.
All Trx does is spend money on creating patents on designs that have none. Many other brands have been universally using these designs since surface RC's inception. The lay down shocks being one of many examples.

If you are a collector looking for a Nice Arrma shelf queen conversation piece, this is all you.
It is vintage now, with parts support a bit rough at this point. I would not drive it if I got one.
All Trx does is spend money on creating patents on designs that have none. Many other brands have been universally using these designs since surface RC's inception. The lay down shocks being one of many examples.
If I had one I would very rarely use it, just in grass on flat ground. Would be a shelf queen for sure.

I have not had problems except with body shell and the mud guards being back-ordered...Sometimes I can't get all the parts from the same website but I have never had a big problem with availability. I don't jump it so that might be the reason for not having broken a-arms.

If I had one I would very rarely use it, just in grass on flat ground. Would be a shelf queen for sure.
I plan on running mine as much as I run my others. I may not jump this one as high or be as hard on it. Luckily a bulk of the parts are still available from Tower Hobbies and Horizon. I am going to swap the tires to Kraton tires to keep the originals.

Completely agree with Trx being sue happy patent trolls. The Nero is probably a big part of the reason why they finally updated the E-Revo a couple of years ago.

View attachment 178660

View attachment 178661

View attachment 178662

View attachment 178663
Definitely want your opinion on the E-Revo 2.0 and Nero. I've always liked the E-Revo's unique styling, my dislike for Trx is the only reason I haven't bought one yet. Also, it'd be great if you could post pics of the two side by side for comparison.

Definitely want your opinion on the E-Revo 2.0 and Nero. I've always liked the E-Revo's unique styling, my dislike for Trx is the only reason I haven't bought one yet. Also, it'd be great if you could post pics of the two side by side for comparison.
I will for sure do a quick comparison. The V1 ERevo aka ERevo Brushless Edition, was a fun truck. Lacked a center diff so it was a wheelie machine and the diffs were just weak. As soon as you added larger tires they would strip. It was fast and easy to drive. The V2 though, much much better. It now has a center diff, diffs and most of the driveline is just much beefier and the truck just handles so much better. It really is a tough truck. A lot of people complain out the rod ends for the push rods and toe links ripping off. I haven't had that problem but it seems to be a common one. Truth be told I prefer my XMaxx over the ERevo. XMaxx is hands down my favorite all around basher. It is probably the slowest of my vehicles but there is just something about it that makes it so much fun to drive. It has a much tighter turning radius than my K8 and is easier to control in the air. I don't know... there is just something about the XMaxx that I really like and puts it at the top. Anyway.... I'll get some pics of the ERevo and Nero side by side and let you know what I think about the two. Hopefully I'll have some time this week to swap out the battery connectors and take it for a spin.

So here are some quick pics of the two trucks side by side. Easy to see the completely different chassis design. Ride height adjustment is done differently for each truck. ERevo moves the push rod in the arm and the Nero moves the shocks in or out from the center of the chassis. The Nero has splines axles and bigger shocks. ERevo appears to be slightly easier to work on. I like that the Nero has a fixed rear toe angle. Adjustable toe is great for racing or speed runs, but just another weak link for bashing. Push rods on the Nero seem larger, I’ll have to measure them. The ERevo suspension feels more plush and smooth, I might have to make some adjustments on the Nero. One thing I’m really interested in is basically the all or nothing diffs on the Nero. Locking diffs are really cool but depending on the surface or driving style you may not want full locked or full open, especially for the center. Still with holding all judgement though until I drive it.

82D8A3A2-3228-4AA4-88AE-BBFCD067DAC0.jpeg

84EB90DE-025F-4555-8B4D-1A988301198A.jpeg

273F097A-6510-4F51-AE08-B811C0F670D1.jpeg

6706FC7B-0AED-4050-940C-2B866FDE8F91.jpeg

96C529D6-449B-4E3A-BE59-CE235FF7EDEA.jpeg

F900D0A0-746F-4138-A7F2-1D7CAE1ABED3.jpeg

DA68120A-3661-477C-A80A-E74BAD80AAFA.jpeg

53859F2B-404A-4072-B64E-9290A2DB6141.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back