Big Rock How good was the Nero?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here are some quick pics of the two trucks side by side. Easy to see the completely different chassis design. Ride height adjustment is done differently for each truck. ERevo moves the push rod in the arm and the Nero moves the shocks in or out from the center of the chassis. The Nero has splines axles and bigger shocks. ERevo appears to be slightly easier to work on. I like that the Nero has a fixed rear toe angle. Adjustable toe is great for racing or speed runs, but just another weak link for bashing. Push rods on the Nero seem larger, I’ll have to measure them. The ERevo suspension feels more plush and smooth, I might have to make some adjustments on the Nero. One thing I’m really interested in is basically the all or nothing diffs on the Nero. Locking diffs are really cool but depending on the surface or driving style you may not want full locked or full open, especially for the center. Still with holding all judgement though until I drive it.

View attachment 179333

View attachment 179334

View attachment 179335

View attachment 179336

View attachment 179337

View attachment 179338

View attachment 179339

View attachment 179340
I like that color combo on the E-Revo, almost as much as the limited edition black and silver. Also the sway bar setup is pretty sweet. Thanks for the pics!
my center diff is almost always locked otherwise the badlands 3.8 turn into pizza-cutter 3,800,000
Yeah, I usually run mine locked as well. The one I built has the lock mechanism and servo in the center diff only. Front and rear locking diffs aren't needed unless the rig is a crawler/trail rig, imo.

Last edited:
I’ve been looking for a decent example of a Nero, I never buy used rcs but I think if I can find a complete near perfect one I would pick one up, if I have read correctly it was Traxxas that killed it? Also Arrma got sued over its design? I guarantee that it was miles better then any Traxxas with the same shock set up. I’ve had a 2.5 Revo when they first came out years ago and it was ok from what I remember. I’m sure Traxxas was scared the Nero it seems like a awesome truck that was ahead of its time also packed with useful features. If I could find a unopened one I honestly think I would pay 1200 for it. With that said let me know if anyone has a almost perfect one or new you want to get rid of.
Nero w/ diff brain and all 3 servo integrated diffs.
22mm stretched frame plates. Just about every functional hot racing part like hub carriers.
Stretched drive shafts. Stainless laser cut a arm skid plates (this is a must, the way these particular plates attach to the Lower arms reinforces the arms and I have never broken one. I have 3 sets of replacement arms but never needed to use any of them thanks to these skid plates. They attach to each arm front and back of the a arm with fasteners at all 4 corners that include nice anodized red washers to match).
MMX with a castle 1515. Hot racing anodized diff housings Of course high voltage, speed, torque $140 steering servo.

SPARES AND EXTRAS
cnc anodized red upper and lower a arms new in package. Red anodized turnbuckles and pushrods The list goes onnnn.. Any real Nero addict will notice NO SPARE SHOCKS ; ...( and
NO Oem aluminum servo mounts not available either. These are the most common and rarest items. Shocks and steering servo mounts.
also have 3 spare sets of oem battery boxes. 3 hardware kits include every fastener and alternative misc hardware. 3 Boca bearing complete vehicle replacement bearing sets. 2 diff maintenance sets. 3 diff locking servos.

i hit a big curb head on full speed while trying to drive the Nero and follow behind on a golf cart. I meant to turn the cart right and instead turn the Nero into the curb/short wall.
Damaged parts list...
The twin frame plates bowed apart about 1/4 of inch. Castle 1515 internal rotor smashed into the internal sensor and ruined the motor. Not A SINGLE ORIGINAL PART WAS DAMAGE.
BUMPER WAS SCRATCHED. Only the aftermarket frame plates and caste motor.
These trucks are built in a way that looks intimidating but once you really look at it, Accessing the most internal parts is no more then 8 screws away from being removed. Traxxas was sacred of these things for a reason. They took a couple ideas from Traxxas and applied them to a already robust build that had some fancy tricks of its own already. I'll include pics shortly. I tore it down to fix the frame and replace the motor. MMX 8s with a side of Castle 2020.

One last complaint. This truck used to strip the 17mm hex out of every rim I used. Proline, trash, Traxxas trash, db boots trash. I picked up some low profile belted tires and they are the only things that have lasted. I tried loosening the slipper, dial back the esc. It did it when I have the original 6s blx system in there. If you brake hard on asphalt in will ruin any time you put on it. The weight, speed and traction is too much. I heat the area around the damaged hex in the rim and gently push a 17mm hub in and press the soft plastic back into shape..

I know I'm rambling but I have been looking for other nero owners for years to see if they have had similar experiences. Glad I finally remembered the arrma forum. I posted a week after I got my nero and forgot all about it.
It's like the revo 2.0 but better. Much better. Using other companies ideas is no new thing to the rc hobby industry. In this case the Nero was enough to motivate Traxxas to take legal action before they lost their behinds on revo sales. If your in south Florida we can strap in 2X 3s 5000 mah 100c lipos and you can give it your best. ANYTIME. I mean it. I literally went 120% maximum effort into a very tall curb, not a single oem part broke.

Last edited:
As per the original question, the Nero was and still great!

IMG_0384.jpg

I guess im the luckiest one yet. Got mine for 350usd. Very dusty and the stickers were falling off their adhesive.
im 100% sure it was never ever serviced in 6 years. Im the third owner still original bearings and insane locktite.. Drivetrain in mint condition body one tiny crack. Diff brain working. Bulk heads slightly damaged because of the broken pins he went through. One bulkhead has a hole inside a manufacturer defect i patched that with shoe goe. Overall im making this a little project. This purshase was totally unexpected. Never though would own a nero one day
D8C07824-64D4-471C-8406-786C381BE33F.jpeg
7FBDAB9D-C097-4F0C-9C0F-2D5D6A5A00FD.jpeg
D6D92625-0EBF-4113-A9A7-32E020D6B7C2.jpeg
11B64398-A7F2-4FD6-BA4A-F7BEB94A3543.jpeg

Nice find. You’ll be very happy with her👌🏻

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back